Quantcast

whos gonna be at SST either on saterday or sunday

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
hey just wonderin whos gonna be out theri this weekend and on what day or days so let me know. i dont have a bike to ride so im gonna get some sweet video with my sisters digital video camera and need some people to shoot

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
FYI...tomorrow might not be a good day to go.

I just got back a 1/2 hour ago and the rider's left line in the flowpark is marked off for the XC race on Sunday. The race course goes up the left line and out the middle entrace. The stepdown line is open if you walk in before the middle entrance but there is course tape blocking the jumps after the main table.

Sep 8, 2004
Hey
I was out there today, had a talk with Wick etc. He wants to organize a meeting between us DH/FR riders, and him and the XC/CX riders. Talk about plans for the park, etc. I guess the gravel parking lot is gonna be closed for a few weeks while the city does some work, etc.
If at all possible, I'd avoid the flow park tomorrow. The course runs up the left line, and uses the entire paved road we walk up. Its best to avoid confrontation and keep things running smoothly, than to 'cause trouble. They only use that area 'two days a year' so, thats not too much to ask right? Plus, it'll be rainy and most people are at beacon.

-James.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
well i went out to SST today and was at the flow park with a few peeps and then wick came by and kicked us out and we had to leave for no good reason so we went to the softies and got some pretty good footage of some people jumpin today.

man wick can be a dick he was cussin out my friend for no reason then kicked us out and was quite rude about it too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
cove rider said:
well i went out to SST today and was at the flow park with a few peeps and then wick came by and kicked us out and we had to leave for no good reason so we went to the softies and got some pretty good footage of some people jumpin today.

man wick can be a dick he was cussin out my friend for no reason then kicked us out and was quite rude about it too.
For no good reason? :rolleyes: Dude, all peeps on this thread have been saying is to stay out of the flow park for ONE DAY and you go down any way? He was trying to put on a race.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks said:
For no good reason? :rolleyes: Dude, all peeps on this thread have been saying is to stay out of the flow park for ONE DAY and you go down any way? He was trying to put on a race.
Yah but he still comes off like a dick, i have no respect for him myself, as i've been condescended to from him.

Langer

Monkey
Mar 27, 2004
Hiding
Along with the big font that normin used maybe he should have used a different color so that it would have caught the eye of all the ADD 4 year olds on the board. :rolleyes:

One question, with the amount of people that use the flowpark would it have been a really big issue not putting his race course through it. He has had problems with flowpark users before, so why not try and avoid any confrontations and not use it for the course. The flowpark is 10% of SST. It also has the most users on the weekends.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
forgive my ignorance but who is this Wick guy to come kick someone out of a public park and be rude about it? I understand that he has done a lot of things to help SST be accessible for bike riders but that's it.

What if I didn't use this board? What if I did come up to SST from Olympia not knowing he was going to do an XC race. To be approached by a grown adult and talked down to wouldn't make me a happy camper. ESPECIALLY IN A CITY PARK

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
If people start complaining enough the City of Des Moines is likely to come along and make the place a large pedestrian park or put in ball fields or something else and their wont be any biking. I was racing today and as best I could see most of the "flow" was skirted around with part of the course running straight up a section. The best scenario for the DH crowd is they complain loud enough and there goes another westside race but they get to keep their flow section open. Does anyone know where the WIMs races are being held?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
thesacrifice said:
forgive my ignorance but who is this Wick guy to come kick someone out of a public park and be rude about it? I understand that he has done a lot of things to help SST be accessible for bike riders but that's it.

What if I didn't use this board? What if I did come up to SST from Olympia not knowing he was going to do an XC race. To be approached by a grown adult and talked down to wouldn't make me a happy camper. ESPECIALLY IN A CITY PARK
i don't think it's much to ask really since many people i assume abide by the "don't ride uphill on the flowpark" when it's being heavily ridden on. But Wick has a reputation of being incredibly disrespectful, to people who have just as much a right to be there as he does, regardless. i don't mess with the races though because i know a majority of people who race there are out to have a good time and are great people. i won't hate on the racer's but maybe someday i'll ride by Wicks booth and fart in his general direction.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
If people start complaining enough the City of Des Moines is likely to come along and make the place a large pedestrian park or put in ball fields or something else and their wont be any biking. I was racing today and as best I could see most of the "flow" was skirted around with part of the course running straight up a section. The best scenario for the DH crowd is they complain loud enough and there goes another westside race but they get to keep their flow section open. Does anyone know where the WIMs races are being held?
Geeze give me a break.... i think the whole point is that Wick needs to be polite instead of being such a dick. You get alot better results with sugar instead of vineager.

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
ditto the above
So lemme get this right, this Wick guy get his way because he barks louder than everyone else? Where does he get the authority to do whatever he wants there?

So this is a public place, shouldn't there be a more public announcement about the goings on? (instead of the nerd-like forum approach :p )

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Snacks said:
yes but he also has said that we are still able to ride their but to stay out of the racers way and we did and still get bitched at whats up with that

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
if he got as rude as you describe, tell him to f-off. Nobody that's out to have a legitimately good time in a public park deserves to be disrespected by some goon cause lyrca force is in full effect. Don't want Freeriders getting in the way? Don't route your race by the freeride park.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borregokid said:
The best scenario for the DH crowd is they complain loud enough and there goes another westside race but they get to keep their flow section open. Does anyone know where the WIMs races are being held?
thesacrifice said:
lyrca force is in full effect. Don't want Freeriders getting in the way? Don't route your race by the freeride park.
So which one of you guys are the Jets and which one of your guys are the Sharks?

(Riff) When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette to your last dyin' day!
When you're a Jet, let 'em do what they can
You've got brothers around, you're a family man!
You're never alone, you're never disconnected, you're home with your own
When company's expected, you're well-protected!
Then you are set with a capital J
Which you'll never forget till they cart you away
When you're a Jet you stay a Jet
i foresee this thread getting stupider and stupider, and we all know the longevity of stupid threads.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Skookum said:
So which one of you guys are the Jets and which one of your guys are the Sharks?

i foresee this thread getting stupider and stupider, and we all know the longevity of stupid threads.
Hey I dont know nothin about Jets or Sharks, must have been a movie or something way before I was born :) . Besides I am going to be helping my bros knock in a free ride-down hill trail over here. :thumb:

Wasn't there DH race in Spokane this weekend?? Wasn't that race held in a 'public park'? Didn't they close off several decent trails that XC'rs could have ridden??

Get my point?? DH races close public trails for a day all the time, why can't an XC race do the same??

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
PsychO!1 said:
Wasn't there DH race in Spokane this weekend?? Wasn't that race held in a 'public park'? Didn't they close off several decent trails that XC'rs could have ridden??

Get my point?? DH races close public for a day all the time, why can't an XC race do the same??
Word :thumb:

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
nohbody said:
ditto the above
So lemme get this right, this Wick guy get his way because he barks louder than everyone else? Where does he get the authority to do whatever he wants there?
He had a permit to run the race. That's where he gets the authority. When I was there on Sat he explicitly called out that he doesn't use the flowpark on Wednesday race courses because he does not have to. Accomodating a weekend race crowd is another story. I thought that was being pretty fair to us and the people paying the entry fee to race. SST is not that big.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
mazzino said:
He had a permit to run the race. That's where he gets the authority. When I was there on Sat he explicitly called out that he doesn't use the flowpark on Wednesday race courses because he does not have to. Accomodating a weekend race crowd is another story. I thought that was being pretty fair to us and the people paying the entry fee to race. SST is not that big.

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks Mazzino.

Forum closed. :cool:

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
hehe i might be writing him a letter later on today. i wont be rude or anything i will just ask him some questions why he was so rude and maybe suggest not being rude too people and he might get along with the DH/FR crowd a little better and i might eventually suggest him never running the race through the flow park because of its popularity

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
cove rider said:
hehe i might be writing him a letter later on today. i wont be rude or anything i will just ask him some questions why he was so rude and maybe suggest not being rude too people and he might get along with the DH/FR crowd a little better and i might eventually suggest him never running the race through the flow park because of its popularity
Dude, he was out there running racs since before the flow park was even an idea. He had a permit to run a race at the park, pretty much that means he has the right run his race where ever he wants.

I have dealt with Wick numorus time over the past years and he has always been nice and polite. Yes, I'm sure he was stressed....but do you have any idea what goes into putting on a race?

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
cove rider said:
Writing Wick a letter about his personal skills while well entended I would not recommend at this momment. Leave well enough alone as Wick is not trying to cause the flowpark any harm. Maybe in the future he will be willing to help in some way with events we may want to have, you might be suprised. Also, when they do have there next XC event I would encourage a few from the Flow Park to volunteer to course marshal or something that would be pretty positive from our side and would go a long way to show multi use co-operation and respect for all riding types. By the way cove rider, it was nice meeting you on Sunday. :thumb: :evil:

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
PsychO!1 said:

Get my point?? DH races close public trails for a day all the time, why can't an XC race do the same??
that's not the point...the dude with no social skills is

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
thesacrifice said:
that's not the point...the dude with no social skills is
What is the point?
He is polite to the first few guys he talks too, then goes back to putting on the race. He is only cordial to the next group of people he has to talk to then goes back to putting on the race. He is less than cordial to the next guys he has to talk to then (stress levels rising because, after all, he rying to put on a race) goes back to putting on the race. He is short and probably rude to the next group because he has to keep having this conversation over and over again while he's trying to be an independant - read only a few volunteers helping him - promoter putting on a race.
Would you be pissed if you went to the N. Seatac BMX track and they were racing and you tried to ride on the track and they yelled at you to get the f**k off the track? It is a public park isn't it?
Would you be pissed if you were driving through Portland and they had the streets closed for the indy car (or what ever) race? I mean, after all, they are public streets and the people putting on the races don't own the streets right?

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
well the thing that made me mad was my friend was walking up the very edge of the road and two guys were walking down the other side and he saw a racer coming and yelled at them to watch out theres a racer comin down, well they didnt move and just got in the way (two guys one of them was wick) then wick came over and was like dont f*ck with me and all this other crap, then my friends dad came up to see what was the problem and suddenly wick was all polite and stuff. thats mostly what made me mad cause its people me age that are out there most of the time and he should treat us the same as any adult.