Quantcast

Why are custom wheels so Sexy?

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
So as I sit here drunk at 11 in the AM rocking out to some old school Alice in Chains, staring at my Sinister DNA I wondered quietly to myself why are custom built wheels sooooo sexy?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
because if you look at the rims with the hubs in the middle and no spokes they look like boobies.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
TSchultz said:
So as I sit here drunk at 11 in the AM rocking out to some old school Alice in Chains, staring at my Sinister DNA I wondered quietly to myself why are custom built wheels sooooo sexy?
I hate to break this to you, but the only "old school " Alice in popular music would be Mr. Vincent Furnier.

As far as your question goes, custom handbuilt wheels are so sexy because you know they are the best, if they have been built by a reputable wheelbuilder for you specifically. Cost too much? Not when crappy machine built wheels don't last nearly as long and have a higher chance of failing on the trail, ruining a ride.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Opeth said:
I'm guessing that you have never used a set of Custom wheels.

Like Mud n Sweat said, I build one hell of a wheel, therefore there is no need to waste my money on an overpriced set of wheels. But to answer your question, yes I have used several sets of custom wheels over the years and some have been sweet and others have let me down! But every time I had a set.... they were always way too over priced!!!!!

Miss riden with ya Rich!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
wood-dog said:
Miss riden with ya Rich!
No kidding, likewise knee grow!

So, do you have anything to ride these days? I'm guessing the free is gone? That was a sweet ride :(

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I am on an HT for the time being. Went riding yesterday at a location called Turkey Mtn, and NO it's not a mountain, just an area here with about 15 miles of trails. But as I was riding I realized how I had forgotten how rocky and rooty this place is and I thought of you in the sence that I think you would really enjoy riding here because of your love for a good challenge. Not just because of the terrain but there are some quick steep-a$$ climbs that you would love! Actually it is alot like O-Hill but more expansive and with much more challenging terrain. But you know me, I hate the climbs! But I guess if I want to go down, I will eventually have to go up first. Laters Rich.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Right on, I've been on the new hardtail now for a couple months. I rode the Ell's recently and it felt really mushy and disconnected from the trail. I think I'm going to sell it and get a frame that is a bit more stiff and responsive with more XC oriented geometry. I was going to get a moto-lite but the 2006 larges are all gone.