Quantcast

Why do Foes' make so much noise?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
One thing I've noticed in the few races I've gone to is that Foes bikes have their own particular sound to them... What the heck is causing that resonating popping kinda sound?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Easy test for you.

Take a large metal can and flick your fingernail against it.

Now take a small diameter metal tube and flick your fingernail against it.

Which makes more noise?

More hollow space = more noise.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I throw BB's in the monocoque on my M1, it sounds like a baby rattle ;)

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I understand the characteristics of the sound, and why it sounds the way it does. What I'm wondering is what exactly is causing this? Just impact transferred by the suspension linkage? The sound happens whenever I see people riding through rough stuff, not necessarily with any exterior contact with the frame that would cause the noise.

I don't own a Foes by the way, I'm just having a slow day at work....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
coma13 said:
I understand the characteristics of the sound, and why it sounds the way it does. What I'm wondering is what exactly is causing this? Just impact transferred by the suspension linkage? The sound happens whenever I see people riding through rough stuff, not necessarily with any exterior contact with the frame that would cause the noise.
Well, there are lots of noises on a bike frame at a given time. Chain slap, creaking of suspension components, feet/knees contacting the frame, plus any vibrations that are being transmitted from the ground or the brakes...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
coma13 said:

I don't own a Foes by the way, I'm just having a slow day at work....
all bikes make that noise. its just that the monocoque amplifies it.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
"Dude, could you hear my bike when I was behind you?"
"Dude, I can hear your bike when you're on the same mountain as me."
True conversation. My bike sounds MEAN!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
TWISTED said:
"Dude, could you hear my bike when I was behind you?"
"Dude, I can hear your bike when you're on the same mountain as me."
True conversation. My bike sounds MEAN!
you ride a norco vps?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
BuddhaRoadkill said:
People don't actually do that .... do they? :nonono:
Yeah, I wanna know if people actually do it.

When I used to have an M1 it would make so much noise I'd sometimes think I broke it. A few of those times it wasn't even broken! I think it would be worth 200 grams to shut the bike the f*** up.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Few lads I know have filled there frames with expanding foam and it really quietens it down,only problem is no more powdercoats

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
konastab01 said:
Few lads I know have filled there frames with expanding foam and it really quietens it down,only problem is no more powdercoats
I look as confused as "the blue thing."

You put the foam "inside" the frame, then can't powdercoat paint the "outside". Huh? Why?

"sitting here looking stupid waiting for the answer"

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Chunky Munkey said:
I look as confused as "the blue thing."

You put the foam "inside" the frame, then can't powdercoat paint the "outside". Huh? Why?

"sitting here looking stupid waiting for the answer"
Because the key to powdercoating is "baking" the coat at high temperatures... who knows what effects that could have on the foam inside the frame.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
coma13 said:
Because the key to powdercoating is "baking" the coat at high temperatures... who knows what effects that could have on the foam inside the frame.
good thing you can always do it after powdercoating.....although i know how vain Foes owners are who insist on repainting their frames every season....

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i heard from a guy i worked with last season that pros have done it before on monocoque frames because they can be so loud. my m1 likes to amplify every little sound that my bike makes. im just glad that i dont usually ride in really loose areas. it would drive me crazy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
zedro said:
good thing you can always do it after powdercoating.....although i know how vain Foes owners are who insist on repainting their frames every season....
Mostly because they bought the stupid white bike.

NEVER AGAIN!!!:eek:

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
coma13 said:
OKAY! Now I get it.

But most things like foam can be dissolved in some type of solvent. Why not just use a solvent to remove the foam?

I mean, you have to find a "good stripper" to remove your old paint, before you can repaint the frame, right? Preferably one like this.

So why not use a solvent?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
My Yeti DH9 Does it too. At Angel Fire, I kept pulling over to make sure nothing was broken. At times I think wow, how and when did I get a Foes Mono?

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
coma13 said:
I understand the characteristics of the sound, and why it sounds the way it does. What I'm wondering is what exactly is causing this? Just impact transferred by the suspension linkage? The sound happens whenever I see people riding through rough stuff, not necessarily with any exterior contact with the frame that would cause the noise
its the stickers

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
zedro said:
ohh so you're a cookie monster then; just make sure you eat every last crumb....
Not a Cookie Monster, a P#@SY Monster! What she got don't look or taste like no cookie. But it RYHMES with CO-OKIE!!! MMMmm... ME GOTTA GO NOW! ME HUNGRY! ME EAT NOW! YUM YUM! AAAGLRRMMm MMRRMmm AGLRRM MMRRMmm AGLRRMmmm yum yum.