Quantcast

Why do my knees hurt when I drink?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
This has been happening lately and I don't know why...when I drink my knees get super warm and feel like I've been hiking all day long. Any ideas?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
don't know, but my jaw tingles in a strange way when i drink. idiosyncratic, i bet.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dehydration maybe....water is a critical lubricant in joints. if your knees suffer anyway from a hard life of use then dehydration can make it worse. you get drunk from dehydration. when i rock climb if i dont stack water for a few days before and drink tons while climbing my elbows and shoulders will be done in about 2 hours of strenuous bouldering. drink enuogh water though and i can go all day.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dog Welder said:
This has been happening lately and I don't know why...when I drink my knees get super warm and feel like I've been hiking all day long. Any ideas?
Them boys at the fire house getting rough with you again? :sneaky: :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The alcohol causes the micromachines the goverment injected into your bloodstream with your measles shot to freak out and attack your knees instead of controlling your thoughts. The key is to take some Aleve to help the knees and to stay drunk to fight the MAN!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
valve bouncer said:
Sounds like gout to me.
huh, that's actually an idea there. does it sometimes affect your big toe as well? that's the stereotypical place for gout but knees are not unheard of

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Since I had my left knee ACL replaced with ligaments and meniscus reconstructed, everytime I am out drinking my knee hurts. I don't know exactly why it happens and the relation with drinking though.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Strakar said:
Since I had my left knee ACL replaced with ligaments and meniscus reconstructed, everytime I am out drinking my knee hurts. I don't know exactly why it happens and the relation with drinking though.
I have this same problem. I've never had it rebuilt, but my ACL and MCL are "loose" and I have no meniscus. I conciously have to pay attention to it when I walk to keep it from being all wobbly and hurting like hell. Drinking relaxes me and I don't pay any attention to my knee so it ends up hurting pretty bad. A heavy night of drinking will cause me to have the ganster walk and swelling for 2-3 weeks. They refuse to rebuild me. :ouch:

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
SilentJ said:
I have this same problem. I've never had it rebuilt, but my ACL and MCL are "loose" and I have no meniscus. I conciously have to pay attention to it when I walk to keep it from being all wobbly and hurting like hell. Drinking relaxes me and I don't pay any attention to my knee so it ends up hurting pretty bad. A heavy night of drinking will cause me to have the ganster walk and swelling for 2-3 weeks. They refuse to rebuild me. :ouch:
Why do they refuse to rebuild you?

You're risking arthritis later on in life, since without meniscus all the weight will be on the rotula. Having a good and strong muscle "structure" around your knee will help too.