Quantcast

Why does Windows suck at desktop management?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So as some of you know, I got a new job a month ago. This is my first PURE Microsoft job in about 8 years. We are even a Microsoft Certified Partner, whatever that means.

So anyway. I have an XP box, running 2 monitors. I am used to running Ubuntu with the default 4 workspaces. So there is this Microsoft Powertool that allows you to run 4 "virtual desktops". Seems cool, right?

So I install it, it sort of runs, except you can't switch between them using the keyboard (or at least I can't find anywhere that says you can). No big deal. Now I switch desktops and all my applications still show on my bar. So even though I have 4 desktops, everything still shows on the bar. So if I have more than 5 or 6 things open, it gets very crowded. Now I see that I can't drag apps between desktops. WTF?

OK, so it's a little clunky, a little slow, but it works, right? Nope! Crashes, and not just closes, will actually take out Explorer! If I am luck, the system will recover. But more often than not I am looking at a hard reboot.

WTF! Microsoft, this is not a new concept. It's not like NOBODY else does this and it's tough to do! Hell Solaris has been doing it since the first World War or something!

/rant

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are a few third party virtual workspace products that work better.
My point was why doesn't the one FROM MICROSOFT not suck? I mean, who better to manage THEIR desktop environment? Guess I got used to being spoiled.

Are these third party apps open source, or am I looking to purchase something?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Microsoft expects you to be able to manage yourself on one desktop.

I don't get the usefulness. The PC still uses the same resources so it's not faster. I guess it's like virtual flashcards for the organizationally challenged.

I routinely run 11 apps, about 14 windows open on my desktop at work. I don't forget which one is which.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Microsoft expects you to be able to manage yourself on one desktop.

I don't get the usefulness. The PC still uses the same resources so it's not faster. I guess it's like virtual flashcards for the organizationally challenged.

I routinely run 11 apps, about 14 windows open on my desktop at work. I don't forget which one is which.
I don't understand it so no one else should need it.

I can't wait for the Ciaran thread on quantum physics...