Quantcast

Why don't they use 150mm hubs on 29ers?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Bigger wheels need wider flanges to retain the same lateral rigidity. Most people seem to use single speed hubs for 29" wheels because dished wheels just don't hold up. I'm wondering why nobody has made the leap to 150mm. Nice wide spacing, with a full cassette and disc compatibility. Sure the hub could be lighter, but it's not that much of a drawback.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Or am I just ignorant of a company that already uses wider spacing?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as of right now, my guess would be lower availability of 150mm spaced hubs that are a decent price point. the only ones i can think of offhand are from high-end companies for dh use (hadley i know for sure - which is close to $400 new IIRC, and i'm pretty sure that hope, king, and maybe profile also have 150 offerings).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
wider rear really need 83mm bb to have an ok chainline.
but if you have 9 sp on the back IMO its the only way to
go.

offset drilling on the rims goes a long way too and is a great
fix for 135 9sp.

i just put on my WTB ss with 5 cogs, i can tell a big diff when
i stand and climb.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
If I recall correctly, 150mm hubs often don't have any more flange spacing than a 135mm hub, they're just dishless (or have a lot less dish). You could get the same effect by specifying an offset rear triangle if you have a custom frame built.

You'd still need the 83mm bb, though, which is tough now that everyone has gone to 2-piece cranks which assume 68/73mm.