Quantcast

Why I haven't been around

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Why don’t you see me?

Back in the day I’d drive up to East Jesus the day before and set up my tent. There would be several people I’d know camping and we’d have a great time. The next morning we’d wake to a stupid random rooster or redneck with no muffler. We’d all do a little course work and wait for registration to open. It would only cost about $20 to race “dual slalom,” $20 + $10 for downhill and shuttle fees, or $45 for both. It sometimes included a shirt. If a sponsor was there they’d throw in some schwag, but nobody gave a crap. It was fun.

Now it seems to me like it’s all about somebody making money. There’s no camping because they want you to use their hotel, race entry is obscene, the courses RULE but you have to have a $4K bike to ride them, and everyone cares about the prizes now. I have a $4K bike so that doesn’t bother ME, but it keeps my friends from racing. No camping??? WTF?! Now you’ve cut your race field in half AGAIN. The last race I did was Sugar last year. I got busted for sleeping in my car. They asked me to leave and go get a room in their hotel. I almost drove home right then, but I decided the more rebellious thing to do was sleep in my car in another spot.

So race promoters... If you’re scratching your head trying to figure out why your attendance is low, this is why I do not come. Money is a big deal to a lot of people.

Cheers!

Mike McCoy

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I understand that running a lift is pretty expensive but sugar costing so much is a little ridiculous considering their sponsor list and such. But then again it is a ski resort and they would charge that much if they had a biker turn out equal to a skiier turn out.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
22pro / 12am entry. Camping and about a 45 min drive out your front door and I'm still scratching my head :huh: