Quantcast

Why is it...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Why is it new riders have such a strange habit of seriously over valuing their bikes when they go to sell?

Rewind a minute with me.

I was riding home last year on a group trip to Sunrise here in AZ. One of the newer riders in the back of the bus had been bitten by upgrade fever during the day. He decided that he wanted to run out when he got home, sell his bike (some POS from Performance Bike, maybe $700 new) and all the upgrades including "a six month old XT der that I've barely used" for $1000 all in. When those of us who this was not our first bike rodeo chimed in that he was high on crack and ride stoke, and that at best his bike, with "upgrades" (because c'mon kid, Welgo pedals are not upgrades) was maybe $500, he got all butt hurt and went on an hour long diatribe about how it was worth more.

Fast forward to this morning.

Decided to sell my Intense SS. Want to get into a new SB66, its sitting at the shop waiting for me, just have to send the cash-e-money. Went over to look on Pinkbike as I've had really good luck selling bikes there in the past (realistic values tend to get things moving) and I run into four or five SS's at damn near retail value.

When I looked at the ads, and more importantly the people who were selling them, it hit me immediately that these people were new to the sport, this was their first "big kid bike" and that they were letting emotion and a mean case of the raw stupids get in the way of a real appraisal of what their bike's value was.

Is this just because they're new? Do they not understand that in being this dumb they drive sales towards people like me who can get rid of bikes for what they're worth, not what I *think* they're worth.

Sorry, taken to ranting in my old age.

/rant.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Amazing how the value of something is more in the eyes of the owner than what the market will "allow". Sure, starting with a "higher-than-owner-will-get" price and bargaining from there may be the norm, however, why price it out of even being considered?

That being said, I'd probably be considered one of those newbie pricers regarding the Cannondale I've mentioned before (winning it on Alaina's first bday, taking her for rides on it, the events I've done with it, etcetcetc). It has ssoooo much sentimental value to me, I'd price it high just for that reason. If I got my asking price (with the included "freebie" items-- extra wheels, Gamut guide, shifter, tires), I'd be happy.

Then again, it would help if I'd list it, and I'm no where near ready to do that............ yet.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Not entirely sure why it matters to you, but I do agree.

On the other hand, I was selling my 2009 Stinky Air, RC3 Ti fork, XT/XTR, Saint Brakes, Crossmax SX wheels, etc (EXTREMELY clean as well)...had it listed for $1400, highest offer I got was $900. Ended up parting it out and got what I wanted, but I was surprised at the responses.

On the other hand, I've seen people listing 10 year old clapped out bikes for $5000, so the market is all over the place. I think people are just hoping that they will get lucky and that one gullible person will pay all that money.

I've done a lot of eBay selling and I can say its strange what people will spend money on. I sold an old, used Dura Ace group for a lot more than it was worth and I even got higher offers after I sold it...strange.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The same folks who put unreasonable value to the stuff they own usually undervalue your service or products you sell. Its a sickness. Most smart folks I know have a reasonable idea how much things are worth. Most stupid folks do not have a clue and the really stupid ones fail to listen also....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
because they never thought the phrase "a sucker is born every minute" would apply to them...

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I remember seeing 03/04 kona stinkys still going for $1200+ up until 2010/11. They were super popular when "freeride" got going, but its absurd that a bike could go for that much 7 years later when they were $1600 new. Same for the bullit, now when i see them for sale at $750 my first reaction is thinking its a deal. Had to have been conditioned over the years to seeing them overvalued.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's funny what some people think bikes are worth.

2 years ago a friend talked about DH'ing with me. So for a gift, I got him a 2002 RM7 (8 year old bike) complete off ebay from a guy in Salem for $400. The only upgrades were XTR shifter/der, Evil SRS, and Fox DHX 5 rear shock. The bike was well ridden, but had been well maintained and was ready to ride.

I felt like it was a fair price for a solid bike. But while searching for it, I found way too many bikes I would place in this class for well over $1000.

There was an old school Karpiel Disco on Ebay a month or so ago for $5k. Complete with a Stratos fork, IIRC.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've done a lot of eBay selling and I can say its strange what people will spend money on. I sold an old, used Dura Ace group for a lot more than it was worth and I even got higher offers after I sold it...strange.
This...

You can always re-list it for what it is really worth if it doesn't sell. Unless you are trying to move something fast you might as well give it a shot.