Quantcast

Why is the 04 TX cassette so expensive???

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No it's not $200.00 but it went up from about $40.00 to nearly $60.00 at my LBS??? MSRP is $69.95!!! I think Shimano is squeezing too tight!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

That is a big increase... I know it's supposed to be "lighter and stronger" but... BS. Just another way to get more $$$ out of thge consumer!!!

I special ordered this one from my LBS so I had to buy it. I'm going to get a few of the old 750s while they are on closeout on the net.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Motionboy2
That can't be 2004 XTR. Every online retailer has it at $141.95. The msrp is $141.95. I think they have the 2003 leftovers. They are going for about that price. ($69.95)
XTs. The 04 XTs now MSRP at $69.95, I used to buy them for $39.95 from my LBS. This morning I paid $60.00 for a 04 CS-M760 because the owner could not find the older M750s.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Serial Midget
XTs. The 04 XTs now MSRP at $69.95, I used to buy them for $39.95 from my LBS. This morning I paid $60.00 for a 04 CS-M760 because the owner could not find the older M750s.
OOOhhhh sorry. Trying to multitask and I guess I got mixed up. XT for you XTR for the customer...now i got it straight :p :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Tweek
Seriously, you should still be able to get the older (750) ones for under $50. They added an alloy sprocket bracket and bumped up the price. :rolleyes:
Just ordered 2 from supergo @ $37.00. I guess it pays to stock up. :)

My LBS orders from Quality so... who knows. If I'd known the price before hand I would have ordered elsewhere.

Funny how I'm freaking out over $20.00... not the LBSs fault - but Shimano's way of getting another dime out of their customers. Did the XT really need to be redesigned? NO.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I didn't know the 04 XT cassette were different. The XTR's are the same AFAIK. Are they more like Ultegra with a couple aluminum cog carriers? Those are better for use with Al freehub bodies like Hugi or CK. But its not like the old style was bad.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I'd return you cassettes, by a SRAM (on principle) and email shimano about what you did and why. Fockers.:devil:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by oldfart
I didn't know the 04 XT cassette were different. The XTR's are the same AFAIK. Are they more like Ultegra with a couple aluminum cog carriers? Those are better for use with Al freehub bodies like Hugi or CK. But its not like the old style was bad.
From what I know, pre-04 that is, XTR had the alloy cog carrier and aluminum cogs -- maybe not all of the cogs, but I know they were notorious for bending all to hell and not being worth the price. XT was the way to go for price/weight/strength. Now it looks like 04 XT is like last years, but with the XTR carrier.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i went through this too. there is NOTHING different. i have a 03 and the 04 here. the 04 is slighty a different color, but thats it.

J

JRB

Originally posted by spincrazy
I'd return you cassettes, by a SRAM (on principle) and email shimano about what you did and why. Fockers.:devil:
I don't like the gear spacings on SRAM too much. I just bought a 12-34 from Price Point and they matched Supergo's $37.:)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No no. XTR has the 4 low gears in titanium not aluminum. And they are not notorious for bending at all. XTR costs because its titanium and the benefit is lighter weight, but not much. There are better places to save weight.

That new 04 XT looks different in that the aluminum carrier has 6 cogs on it rather than 5. Is that the difference? I'm going by memory here.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Did the XT really need to be redesigned?
They absolutely did. Shimano is infamous for redesigning and "improving" their products on a regular basis, especially when it means the new version is not compatible with previous components, but they have ignored the crappy XT cassette for a long time. This is a long overdue redesign.

XT cassettes bend like butter. The XT crappiness is probably the biggest reason Sram 9.0 cassettes are so popular. I have used several, and never came anywhere close to wearing one out, because the cogs bend before that can happen. They are notorious for bending, check the mtbr reviews and search the forums for "XT cassette" and you find many complaints.

Sram 9.0 cassettes shift just as well and are much more durable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by oldfart
No no. XTR has the 4 low gears in titanium not aluminum. And they are not notorious for bending at all. XTR costs because its titanium and the benefit is lighter weight, but not much. There are better places to save weight.

That new 04 XT looks different in that the aluminum carrier has 6 cogs on it rather than 5. Is that the difference? I'm going by memory here.
The XTR is only 20 or 30 grams lighter than the XT and costs twice as much. The XT has a steel lockring and the XTR has an alloy one. Dig up an alloy lockring for an XT cassette and the weight differenct gets even smaller.