Quantcast

Why is the 721 still the strongest/lightest DH/FR rim in the market?

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I'm running Mavic 721s on both my bikes front and rear. I'm just bummed that they stopped making the CD (hard-ano) version. Sounds stupid but I swear they were stronger.

Oh and Alex Supra Ds are absolutely worth checking out - at 620g they're heavier than the 721s but not by a whole lot and they don't flat spot as easily.

Only weakness with the 721s is the braking edge which seems prone to folding.
I agree, the older 721's seemed to last a lot longer but the last 2 I bought which were silver died a quick death.

The Alex supra D is a much better rim than the current 721 imo, claimed weight is lighter too. A lot of guys are starting to switch to these down here now.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I agree, the older 721's seemed to last a lot longer but the last 2 I bought which were silver died a quick death.

The Alex supra D is a much better rim than the current 721 imo, claimed weight is lighter too. A lot of guys are starting to switch to these down here now.
Do you know where you can get the Supra D? I think there might be more than one aussie distributor, but the one I got onto only brings the BH (pinned join) model in, not the D model (welded join, also lighter).

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Do you know where you can get the Supra D? I think there might be more than one aussie distributor, but the one I got onto only brings the BH (pinned join) model in, not the D model (welded join, also lighter).
In Sydney Endeavor cycles at Gymea and Bike Addiction at Manly can get them.