Quantcast

why it's good to live in Ca in the winter

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
You can take all that warmth and sunshine and stick it up your ass pal.

:p

So jealous.
^ :stupid:

at the moment i'm getting my stuff together to go riding! it's 4°C (40°F) outside and my motivation is below zero....

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Let us know how great it is in July until September when it's hot enough to incinerate an egg out there.
That's why I'm awesome. SoCal Sept-mid May, then bail to somewhere cooler. This coming year, Australia.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
A new survey of the "most miserable cities" in the US suggests that five of the 10 worst are in California. The BBC's Peter Bowes considers whether life in the Golden State has really got that bad.

As I jog along the beach, under wall-to-wall blue sky, with the winter sunshine beating down, I often remind myself that "it doesn't get any better than this".

It has been a glorious week in Los Angeles and much of California. The balmy February weather is proof enough that life in the Golden State can be very good.

For many, the sunshine epitomises the "California dream", although wealth and property ownership usually play a role in the romantic depiction of America's most populous state.

And that's where my argument falls down.

For many people, life should be much better than it is, and a new survey by Forbes magazine concludes that "the Golden State has never looked less golden".

The region is at the epicentre of the foreclosure - or repossession - crisis, unemployment is way above the national average and high taxes are crippling business.

If they can divorce themselves emotionally and psychologically from their problems, everyone seems pretty happy”

Joe Gallegos
Sacramento resident
As a result, eight out of 20 spots on the publication's annual list of America's Most Miserable Cities are in California.

The ranking takes into account a range of factors - including the economy, crime levels, the climate and social factors, such as how the local sports teams are doing.

'Most miserable city'
The city of Stockton, in northern California, ranks first on the list for the second time in three years.

In recent years, the community has been hit hard by the housing crisis, with the average property price dropping by 67% since 2005.

The city suffers from a high crime rate and unemployment is projected to head above 18% this year.

"The economy has been hurt more than other communities for sure," says Stockton city manager Bob Deis.

But he challenges the methodology used to define his city.

"Using data and drawing conclusions about the overall city is misleading and doing everybody a disservice," he says.

The city manager, who recently moved to Stockton from California's idyllic wine country, says the mood of the town is far from downbeat.

Property prices in the city of Stockton have fallen by 67% since 2005
"The city has a lot of positives to it and is anything but miserable," he says, pointing to a strong sense of community and a thriving arts scene.

"Picking a place to live is like picking a Chinese restaurant, you'll get 10 different answers," he adds.

"From my perspective we live on the California Delta, which has its own unique beauty. Cruising down the delta on a boat on a warm spring or fall day is fantastic."

Stockton sits on the San Joaquin River on the eastern edge of the delta, which sprawls across much of northern California.

Mr Deis also points to the northern California weather as being the "opposite of making one feel miserable".

"I lived in Oregon and Washington for about 17 years and the lack of sun during the fall and the winter definitely wore on us. Having sun makes a huge impact on your well-being," he says.

State worker cuts
California's state capital, Sacramento, ranks as the fifth most miserable place in the US, and it is easy to identify misery in a city where government workers are being laid off in their droves.

As the state battles to bring a $28bn (£17.5bn) deficit under control, many public service employees have had their wages slashed and have been forced to cut their working hours.

Furlough Fridays, when many state workers are required to take the day off, as libraries and other public buildings are closed, have become commonplace.

The state has not been spared the worst effects of the US foreclosure crisis
"I work downtown in an arts supply store," says Joe Gallegos, who has lived in Sacramento all his life.

"On a furlough day, Sacramento's downtown is 75% empty and that really affects many other businesses, which rely on public service workers," he adds.

"Together with the housing market that collapsed a few years ago, it really hurt us."

But Mr Gallegos, who is trying to launch a home business with his wife, producing designer quilts, is another to scoff at the notion that he lives in a miserable city.

"I laughed at it," he says, adding that he and his wife live in a "nice place" and pay low rent.

"We're not consumers in the sense that a lot of people are. We thrift a lot, we garden, we don't eat out, we don't eat a lot of junk food. We've adjusted our cost of living to our lifestyle," he says.

"I'm not a materialistic person and that makes me less miserable."

And, true to form, he also cites the California weather as a reason to stay cheerful.

"Sunshine is constant. We're only a couple of hours from the Bay Area and from the Sierra Nevadas," he says.

"There are a lot of people in Sacramento that surf and snow board, and we have a lot of bike trails. People spend a lot of time outside, so I think that makes people a little bit happier," he adds.

California's woes are far from being over.

Its new governor, Jerry Brown, has only just begun to roll out austerity measures that will produce more hardship for millions of people as he seeks to plug the huge budget deficit.

But even in the state's worst economic black spots, a sense of optimism prevails.

"If they can divorce themselves emotionally and psychologically from their problems, everyone seems pretty happy," Mr Gallegos says.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But stockton REALLY does blow goat balls. People were buying homes almost 3 hours away from the City for 70% the price and trying to commute in. Also the fact that it has an extremely high illegal immigrant population (= gang problems) and it all adds up to isht hole.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Anytime a town decribes itself as having a "thriving arts scence" I think of a low income area with cheap rent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A new survey of the "most miserable cities" in the US suggests that five of the 10 worst are in California. The BBC's Peter Bowes considers whether life in the Golden State has really got that bad.
Central Valley != Coastal Cali. :rofl:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Central Valley != Coastal Cali. :rofl:
Sounds like the author of the article is a bit miffed that they could only afford to live in Stockton. :rofl:

Not that I can afford to live in any of the nice places. :(

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've never been a fan of California. However, I went on a business trip to the Monterey Bay area last fall, and really loved it. I could pretty easily see myself living there.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
LA ruins the entire state. SF/Norcal is tolerable is small doses.
I'd pack up and move to San Diego in a second. Great riding, surfing, year round summer... unfortunately if you're out of the La Jolla area the schools aren't too hot.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Yesterday did a road ride.
70's, blue sky, even got a little sunburn.

Its only a matter of time before it heats up - and I welcome it. Tired of anything below 50 degrees...

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Sorry, gang, I'll keep my sorry excuse for a buttox right here outside Carson City. Tahoe is about 1/2 hour away, Northstar about an hour, Mammoth 2 hours, Virginia City (to remind me of my Make-A-Wish events) about an hour. I might not ski/board, but I do shovel from time to time to cross train for biking.

Now, if I can ever get the motivation up again to stud my own tires, the winter would rock.......

Last edited:

mammothpunks

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
Mammoth
Sorry, gang, I'll keep my sorry excuse for a buttox right here outside Carson City. Tahoe is about 1/2 hour away, Northstar about an hour, Mammoth 2 hours, Virginia City (to remind me of my Make-A-Wish events) about an hour. I might not ski/board, but I do shovel from time to time tor cross train for biking.

Now, if I can ever get the motivation up again to stud my own tires, the winter would rock.......
...And legal hookers 10 mins away!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've spent the last 3 weeks praying to FSM for it to make it up to 50 degrees.....:think:
Haha.
When you adapt to 120 degrees in the summer, you become a wimp when it drops below 60.
It hit 26 degrees here around New Years (actually snowed in parts of the valley) and it was almost the apocalypse.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
excellent, just looked at the 9 day forecast. We are going to be getting a week of winter:D Rain Monday through Wednesday then a light dusting of snow Thursday, Friday with a slight chance of sprinkles over the weekend but mostly sunny:weee:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
...And legal hookers 10 mins away!
SSSSSHHHHHHH..... If my wife found out, I'd never get her to go bra-less in Vegas again, let alone around the house.

Haha.
When you adapt to 120 degrees in the summer, you become a wimp when it drops below 60.
It hit 26 degrees here around New Years (actually snowed in parts of the valley) and it was almost the apocalypse.
I remember going to my middle brother's graduation from ASU. It was December, I didn't bring any pants/jeans (it was maybe mid-30's for highs around Tahoe). Stepdad asks where my pants were, as I was wearing "dress shorts". He decided we needed to go out and get some pants, and that night at the gathering, the place was using those propane patio space heaters while the folks wore their various jackets. And it was 60-ish!!! I just said those pansies would never make it in Tahoe, let alone snow of any kind.......

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I remember going to my middle brother's graduation from ASU. It was December, I didn't bring any pants/jeans (it was maybe mid-30's for highs around Tahoe). Stepdad asks where my pants were, as I was wearing "dress shorts". He decided we needed to go out and get some pants, and that night at the gathering, the place was using those propane patio space heaters while the folks wore their various jackets. And it was 60-ish!!! I just said those pansies would never make it in Tahoe, let alone snow of any kind.......
They have those propane heaters everywhere. Well, in the nicer parts of town, otherwise people would just steal them.

I'm a New England transplant, grew up in Northern VT, in the mountains. So I've seen -45 degrees there and 120 degrees out here. Pretty wild.
With A/C, the heat is far easier to deal with to be honest. Except my van doesn't have A/C....ha.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
I'm a New England transplant, grew up in Northern VT, in the mountains. So I've seen -45 degrees there and 120 degrees out here. Pretty wild.
With A/C, the heat is far easier to deal with to be honest. Except my van doesn't have A/C....ha.
My senior year of high school, I bought a pickup, black vinyl interior, no a/c, kept it for 5 or 6 years. Yes, I put those cheapy cloth covers over the seat, though it was too late. I think I have 4 or 5 brain cells left..............

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But stockton REALLY does blow goat balls. People were buying homes almost 3 hours away from the City for 70% the price and trying to commute in. Also the fact that it has an extremely high illegal immigrant population (= gang problems) and it all adds up to isht hole.
I KNOW you aren't dissing the 209. Them's some fighting words, right there.

While I was still an hour or more from Stockton, that place is a ****hole. But I grew up 15 minutes from Modesto, so Stockton looks awesome in comparison.

There isn't enough good weather in California to entice me, sorry.