Quantcast

Why No DH Kevlar Bead Tires?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
So companies are willing to experiment with $800 carbon rims to drop weight but not kevlar beads? Why doesn't Maxxis make a kevlar dual-ply Minion?
The manufacturers might say steel beads stay on better at low pressure but I run my 2.5" kevlar bead single ply Nevegals only 2psi higher than my steel bead 2.7" DH Minions. I've never had burping or a blow-off with either.
Does anyone make kevlar bead DH tires?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Maxxis UST Minions are kevlar. Dual ply casing and all. The bead is pretty weak though. It can tear if you use 823's and pull a sideways landing. (Or the like.)

After that, Tioga White Tigers were kevlar. But, you don't want those...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Unfortunately the Minion USTs are only available in their version of 2.5", too small for me.
I looked at the Intense DH tire site and it's not very informative. They have a few tires that look suitable but they're only available up to 2.5". Some say they're single ply and none save more than 100g from my 2.7" Minion DHF (it's 1400g).
Since Maxxis uses kevlar in the UST version they should in the regular version.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've wondered the same thing personally, maybe it is too weak as suggested above. But surely if that was a non issue, it would be a penalty-free weight saving.

Although, not sure why you find the 2.5" minion too small - it's been good enough to win a bucketload of world cups and the like.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Unfortunately the Minion USTs are only available in their version of 2.5", too small for me.
I looked at the Intense DH tire site and it's not very informative. They have a few tires that look suitable but they're only available up to 2.5". Some say they're single ply and none save more than 100g from my 2.7" Minion DHF (it's 1400g).
Since Maxxis uses kevlar in the UST version they should in the regular version.
Maxxis run small. I am sure a 2.5 Intense tire = a Maxxis 2.7 in size anyways.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Because kevlar tires blow off at the worst times... Like in a corner. At 50mph...
If your bike is too heavy, lift some weights...

Right up there with carbon bars for DH..

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Maxxis run small. I am sure a 2.5 Intense tire = a Maxxis 2.7 in size anyways.
Thats true. I use 2.35 Intense tires that are like 2.5 Maxxis.
From their lineup I use the
Invader - perfect for hardpack, fast rolling
Intruder - great for loose, slower rolling
Spike - sea of mud, incredibly slow rolling :)

All of their DH tires use 50 Durometer rubber, so they last much longer than maxxis 42 or 3C from my experience. Also they are pinch flat resistant (no flats this season). There's not a bad word I can say about these tires.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Most tubeless DH tires are kevlar bead. I've used Maxxis, Geax and Continental UST tires for DH with great success. Mind you their really not much lighter then their tubed counterparts.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I'll check out the Specialized tires. I'd like to see a 2.5" Intense in person to check the width. I like a wider tire, it's just preference: 2.7" Minions and 2.6" other tires.
Hey RoboS, on the website Intense says the 909 and Invader are single ply. Are all the tires in their DH line actually dual ply?

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Because kevlar tires blow off at the worst times... Like in a corner. At 50mph...
If your bike is too heavy, lift some weights...

Right up there with carbon bars for DH..
Double dose of nonsense. Are you SMT in disguise? Carbon owns alu, get over the foolish misconception. Get your thumbshifters out, those triggers are the devil.........

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Double dose of nonsense. Are you SMT in disguise? Carbon owns alu, get over the foolish misconception. Get your thumbshifters out, those triggers are the devil.........
I think the dimensions to work with with handlebars are too small to reap the bennefits of carbon, same with seatposts. Diameter is too small, so the weight needs to go up for strength..
I wanna see a good cromo bar come out.
back on topic.
Is the reason tubless Minions tear near the bead purely the kevlar beed?

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Hey RoboS, on the website Intense says the 909 and Invader are single ply. Are all the tires in their DH line actually dual ply?
They just say that 1-ply version is good for AM use.
All DH tires are 2-ply with bumper. FR tires are 2-ply w/o bumper. AM tires are 1-ply.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
If possible I like to buys tires on special so I can try stuff and to save money. I have wanting to try Intense and there are some deals on CRC. From what I have seen there is single 2 ply and 4 ply. I am thinking Invader back and intruder front.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I think the dimensions to work with with handlebars are too small to reap the bennefits of carbon, same with seatposts. Diameter is too small, so the weight needs to go up for strength..
back on topic.
Handlebars are a tricky one just cos they get clamped rather than pinched, they have fairly significant stress risers caused by the edge of the stem (which can be alleviated by stem design obviously), and CFRP doesn't really like that stuff - suits isotropic materials better due to the relatively complex loading IMO. I reckon carbon bars will probably be the mainstream in DH in 10 years time though.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
back on topic.
Stronger/more durable bars at a similar weight as alu bars, some would add damping characteristics, but stronger is what Im looking for.

Per sockets comment - although Im far from an engineer, I would def concede the stress riser potentials, as do the mfrs (of cf Seatposts as well.) Overtightened/imbalanced stems can have similar effects on ALu, but CF is more 'sensitive' - I make sure to use friction paste and a torque wrench, but still feel comfy on my 4yo MonkeyLite DH (which have moved to Trail/All Mountain Duty in favor of 800mm bars on the DH for my 6'8" ape arms) *I* would never abuse alu bars for that long (and Im sure someone will chime in with the inverse argument)

Ive seen plenty of catastrophic alu failures, so even in the super naysayer days of yesteryear, that argument never held water for me. (not that you mentioned it, but its around...)

Last edited: