Quantcast

Why no love for Minion DHR?

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I was glancing at the last issue of Dirt last night and saw a two page add for Maxxis. DHF on one page and DHR on the other. It made me wonder why everyone seems to love the DHF on both wheels but no one seems to run the DHR. I've never run one myself so what is it about the DHR? Is it bad, or does the DHF just work better on the rear?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've run the DHR (on the rear) before and found it worked well. It does seem to have a little less traction then the DHF, which some people like as it helps the bike turn in. I prefer the neutrality of having the same grip front and back. It isn't a bad tire IMO though.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Sam Hill didn't run a DHR.... joke.

My reasons for running DHF's front and rear:
1) DHF is more designed for turning/cornering, DHR is more designed for braking. Turning/cornering > Braking.
2) I'm cheap and tires are expensive. A front tire that begins to look worn out is usually good enough for the rear of your bike. Its nice to be able to rotate your tires through and only buy one new tire at a time.

Other than that I just think DHF's have a nice predictable feel. I have run a couple DHR's in the past and they are by no means bad. Basically, I wouldn't swap out a DHR if thats what came on my bike... But its cheaper, easier and my preference to run dual DHF's after it is worn out.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
2) I'm cheap and tires are expensive. A front tire that begins to look worn out is usually good enough for the rear of your bike. Its nice to be able to rotate your tires through and only buy one new tire at a time.
That's basically what I do so I typically run the same F/R.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, I've heard of a lot of folks running the DHF as a rear tire once it starts to wear out. I have the F/R combo on my bike, and am very satisfied in 90% of conditions...was a welcome switch from older crap tires, but I'd like to get some dedicateds this season...

Anyways, I can't imagine everybody doing it for the cheap factor, as there are people who run disposable parts on their bikes on here...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
In my experiences the DHR wears VERY FAST, it works good while it lasts though, so if you are a baby on your tires, might not be a bad idea.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
After my bike got stolen last year, I built up a beater with parts I had lying around until I could get a new one. Ran a DHR front and rear for a while, mostly at and rocky, dusty, blown out local mountain.

Up front, it's sketchy, and doesn't seem to track so good until you get way leaned over on to the cornering knobs.

Out back, it's so so and I didn't really have a problem with it, but something like a high roller feels better.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Personally I've found it squirmy under braking and vague when cornering, it also rolls a little bit slower than a DHF. Overall not a bad tyre just outshone by the DHF in my opinion. It does brake a whole load better than a DHF tho.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I bought some super tacky ones for $40 each on sale and tried them front and rear and I like them. I really don't think they're much slower and I don't feel so bad going through 42A tires so quickly when they're $40 instead of $70. I use Swamp Things all the time and I hear a lot of people complain about those too so I don't know...

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'm running a dhr in the rear. I'm a hack, but I feel it slides much easier than the dhf. With that said the slide is fairly predictable vs other tires I have tried in the back.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I remember way back when I installed a DHF on the rear for the first time and was ripping into a suprise switchback. I grabbed some back brake and nothing happened...

If I'm not running a DHF in the back, it's because there's a High Roller there. (This year I'll be trying some Conti Kaisers at first for something different.)

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
^Exactly why I love the DHR.
It brakes amazingly.I'll take that over anything,I hate that feeling of coming into a corner a bit hot and just feeling like you have nothing.All my friends think i'm nuts because I highly dis-like(not hate)High Rollers in the rear due to the fact they don't brake well.(IMO).

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
i can testify to the HR's not being the best under same late braking. They just toss their grip aside and ask you to hold on. and very bad in conditions with a lot of loose over hardpack.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, I switched from nevegals to 3c dhf/r mid season last year and that was the first thing I noticed. The rear end actually dug in when I grabbed a handful of brake. Made me much more confident.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I've used minions F and R.

Rear like mentionned once it slides on you,you can predict wen it shall again.

Used them in the dry and rain of bromont.I almost could say for one day I liked them more then my michelin 2.8/2.5 combo.

I'd use a R again,it was made for a reason.
They dont roll fast enough ??? dunno about that,I just pedal and use gravity to get rolling/

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Personally I often use a dhr when it gets a bit wet but dont want a really slow tyre on the rear, I often pair it with a swampy on the front. We have a winter race series, but not many big hills so full spikes are usually too slow.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
All this "using your rear brake for actual braking" has me confused. Aren't you suppose to use the front to actualy slow you down???? I use my rear brake more for steering then braking.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
All this "using your rear brake for actual braking" has me confused. Aren't you suppose to use the front to actualy slow you down???? I use my rear brake more for steering then braking.
It's an advantage on really steep, loose, off camber or very low traction riding, I try to control my speed as well as steer around turns with the rear brake, and use the front brake to control speed as little as possible unless I'm not turning or off camber. With a poor braking rear tire, I have to use the front brake more, which can get sketchy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
In my experiences the DHR wears VERY FAST, it works good while it lasts though, so if you are a baby on your tires, might not be a bad idea.
Im with Demo... just wears too fast for too costly of a tire..... That and unless something has changed since I last ran maxxis, the sidewalls tore through too easily to last anyways. Killed WAY too many maxxis tires on what I feel a tire should hold up over and through..... Mainly I feel that because the kendas and speccy;s I now run hold up MUCH longer than maxxis ever has for me.

Speaking of that.... Are the new 3c Maxxis hold up better? I am curious of that, Dont want to drop cash on them to find out myself when I have trusty tires already

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, I thought the 40a maxxis tires held up ok and the 3c is even better, but I found I would quickly lose chunks out of the 42 tires for some reason.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Speaking of that.... Are the new 3c Maxxis hold up better? I am curious of that, Dont want to drop cash on them to find out myself when I have trusty tires already
I've been running the same set of 2.7/2.5 DHF 3C's through two whistler trips (~8 days, 7-8 hrs. a day) in the summer and whatever weekend riding I can get in since then. I don't see replacing the front any time soon, the rear maybe in couple months. I'm sold on the wear characteristics of the 3C compound compared to the crappy Super Tacky (WTF! Side knobs just rip off the casing???), don't have experience with Spec. or Kenda.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Also, adding in rear braking can reduce stopping distance by 25% or more if I remember my moto license class correctly. In general, when trying to slow down, I brake hard with both front and rear brakes, but you have to modulate to keep traction and obviously the rear brakes free easier.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
im using one myself these days
2.5 minion dhf sry front
2.5 minion dhr 3c rear

it works with me...can easily get the rear sliding at even low speeds...
its easy to feel when the rear will slide and easy to control when its sliding
tire wear is about the same on both tires so i'd say its not bad

i like it better than dhf on the rear imo...yes you can prolly go faster in a corner with a dhf but i rather have control over speed

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Also, adding in rear braking can reduce stopping distance by 25% or more if I remember my moto license class correctly. In general, when trying to slow down, I brake hard with both front and rear brakes, but you have to modulate to keep traction and obviously the rear brakes free easier.
Yeah, you remember correctly.......but also remember your now in the dirt VS the asphalt.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
ummm.....ya big difference between a moto on pavement and a DH bike on steep dirt. Rear brakes tend to skid obviously........front brake is where its at. We all know this, but it just seems like an irrelevent benefit that the DHR is a better braking tire when it is only used on the rear of the bike. I'd rather the cornering grip of the DHF.......

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
ummm.....ya big difference between a moto on pavement and a DH bike on steep dirt. Rear brakes tend to skid obviously........front brake is where its at. We all know this, but it just seems like an irrelevent benefit that the DHR is a better braking tire when it is only used on the rear of the bike. I'd rather the cornering grip of the DHF.......
I'd argue that you can shift your (+ the bike's) center of mass way more toward the rear on a bike vs. a moto. Even on level ground, you initiate braking by moving your weight back and down in an attempt to evenly distribute braking forces, I wouldn't be surprised if a good rider can get a 60/40 split or better f/r...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First off, I'm kinda surprised that people say they use their rear brake to steer. Whatever happened to "ride don't slide"? My personal opinion, and bias, is that I'd rather have a tire that will hold a corner better than brake better. If I go into a corner a little too hot, I'd rather rail the fvck out of it than brake in it thus tearing up the trail and creating braking bumps. That's why I'm running dual DHFs. Though my new bike came with a new 3C DHR, so I'll be revisiting my bias this upcoming season. My main beef with them previously was that riding them in really rocky conditions would tear them to shreds. I once nuked a brand new DHR in 1 week of Whistler/Pemberton/Squamish/North Van riding.

Anyways, maybe I'm just reading your posts wrong in assuming that you're talking about skidding your bike around corners. Maybe you use your rear brake to shift your body around and change the aspect of the bike, all the while maintaining traction. I find I do this XC riding a lot, but I don't notice it so much downhilling.

As for f/r braking distribution, I found this post was particularly helpful in demonstrating braking dynamics : http://www.leelikesbikes.com/the-undeniable-radness-of-braking.html#more-1170

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I just like how for a given size, the DHRs are always bigger than the DHFs. Makes me want to make moto noises.
yes 2.7 DHR measures the biggest of the Maxxis DH tires......Mobster might (not sure) be bigger but they suck...

At Mt. Snow one year when Pro's were talking about "Moto Speeds" on a dry course...saw a bunch of the top top guys running cut-up 2.7 DHR's up front......

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Maybe it does have to do with braking?

I feel like a lot of people don't put very much concern/thought into braking/brake performance. More concern is given to cornering and pedaling performance than braking into a turn. Wouldn't it be faster to be able to brake accurately and briefly before a turn than to go in hot skidding all over the place?

I'm genuinely curious...I feel like many people like it when their bikes pack down and lock up under braking (vs. remain active or worst stink bug). The difference in braking between my previous floater equipped bike and the Sunday is readily apparent.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
First off, I'm kinda surprised that people say they use their rear brake to steer. Whatever happened to "ride don't slide"? ]
Personally..... I realized along time ago, that no matter what you do in socal, when its dry as it is most of the time, no matter what you do you slide, so I gave up on massive cornering traction, and went for good braking

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
Personally..... I realized along time ago, that no matter what you do in socal, when its dry as it is most of the time, no matter what you do you slide, so I gave up on massive cornering traction, and went for good braking
I'm in socal and want to give minions a shot, DHF/DHR or dual DHF for our conditions?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I do the exact same thing. I buy a new Minion Front and throw the old front tire on the back. Works great and saves me some coin.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'm in socal and want to give minions a shot, DHF/DHR or dual DHF for our conditions?
Yeah tye are, they work well..... What I always tell people here is not to be overly concerned with your abck tire, its going to slide. At least in our normal conditions it will, right now we are spoiled with actually having rear traction for awhile till we dry out again.

I went away from maxxis in the past though, mainly from just litterally tearing through them WAY too fast, be it removing knobs around one corner, shredding the sidewalls in a rock sections ETC..... Currently I am on a Clutch/CHunder combo...<I can thank Kyle for getting me started on that year before last> But with the info in this thread I am wanting to try out the 3c minions.

So in short, yeah the tread pattern works well in socal. So do alot of tread patterns though