Quantcast

Why not kill Arafat?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
because it would undermine.....uhhh....because it would unleash 1000 unique reprisals.....uhhhh....wait, how 'bout this: because ramalah would really be stinky w/ his festering corpse.....uhhh, b/c then the IDF would have to train instead of being on the clock.....no....ummmm......

i don't have any good reasons.
i don't have any bad reasons either.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Because political leaders do not like the thought of killling each other. More to the point they do not like the thought of being targets themselves.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by $tinkle
because it would undermine.....uhhh....because it would unleash 1000 unique reprisals.....uhhhh....wait, how 'bout this: because ramalah would really be stinky w/ his festering corpse.....uhhh, b/c then the IDF would have to train instead of being on the clock.....no....ummmm......
lol

Originally posted by Tenchiro
Because political leaders do not like the thought of killling each other. More to the point they do not like the thought of being targets themselves.
I hear ya, but Bush is "okay" with Israel targeting other leaders. Why is it ok to target them, but Arafat's on the don't touch list? Is there some secret handshake between US and Arafat?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sooooo....you're saying that arafat is a political leader? (not a terrorist leader?)

israel has the likud party, what do the terrorists/palestians have as a named party?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by LordOpie
lol

I hear ya, but Bush is "okay" with Israel targeting other leaders. Why is it ok to target them, but Arafat's on the don't touch list? Is there some secret handshake between US and Arafat?
This is what I read was America's poilcy during the cold war. We wouldn't target their leaders, and they wouldn't target ours, regarding assassination. I figured it still applied welsewhere, even if it is informal.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
sooooo....you're saying that arafat is a political leader? (not a terrorist leader?)

israel has the likud party, what do the terrorists/palestians have as a named party?
For better or worse, he is the Palestinian leader, and not all of them are terrorists I am sure.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
For better or worse, he is the Palestinian leader, and not all of them are terrorists I am sure.
if you mean all the residents of the refugee camps, i totally agree. It's the leadership with which i have a problem. Kinda like the ba'athist regime in Iraq.

back to killing arafat...

who would get his 2-3 billion $$$? That would surely go a long way toward restoring his peeps.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This is what I read was America's poilcy during the cold war. We wouldn't target their leaders, and they wouldn't target ours, regarding assassination. I figured it still applied welsewhere, even if it is informal.
Uhh, I understand that. The question is, why doesn't that policy apply to the OTHER Palestinian leaders?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Uhh, I understand that. The question is, why doesn't that policy apply to the OTHER Palestinian leaders?
this is why:
Israel identifies new Hamas leader
26/04/2004 - 11:36:33

Israeli military officials today identified Mahmoud Zahar, a surgeon and prominent Hamas hard-liner, as the new leader of the Islamic militant group in the Gaza Strip.

ireland online
these guys are only around for a news cycle or two.
as long as we have just one guy whose face is constant, it makes the whole pass-off to the next administration & new hires easier.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
this is why:these guys are only around for a news cycle or two.
as long as we have just one guy whose face is constant, it makes the whole pass-off to the next administration & new hires easier.
that makes sense.

Still, if ALL leaders were the primary target in any conflict, we'd have a whole lot less conflicts.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
It was my understanding that recently Arafat had been trying to keep his nose clean and work toward peacefull resolutions. While the people that have been killed recently were more or less taking the opposite approach.