Quantcast

Why racing regionally RULES :: MSC X-Post

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
It's been said all before: in forums, on t-shirts, at parties, at races. Everyone thinks NORBA sucks the proverbial donkey nut, and it's not like we really NEED another example of why you shouldn't go to NMBS races. But, I found this on our "local" series message board and wanted to share with you all just how damn cool racing can really be.

http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=513

Basically, Chris is a friend and fellow competitor in the VetEx class, and during the dual slalom (yeah that's right b!tches, dual slalom!) at our series finals, his bike broke. Pretty much everyone else from our class (i.e. his competition) stepped up to loan the dude a bike to keep racing, he wound up 4th in Expert Men 30+.

This also happened to Dave "Fast n' Sketchy" Camp when he broke his admittedly clapped out Trance at the same race - he went on to take FIRST in Pro/Semi-Pro Men... on a borrowed bike.

It's about the racers, the community. Sh!t like the stories above don't happen at the Nationals, or Worlds, or whatever - they happen in your backyard and just down the street from you. Support the races that support you, don't go to the races that don't. Buy the product that offers the best features - whether it's a car, a DH fork, a polish sausage, or a race. It's that simple. No more b!tching and whining on the message boards, e-theories of how this or that could be done better, or how NORBA should take a clue from the fvcking Worlds, etc. It's all garbage - just enter the races that give back to you, the racer, and let the rest of the world figure it out for themselves.

Group hug, everyone.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I flew to NYC to race the Whiteface race over labor day and my bike and gear didn't make it. A New Jersey local let me borrow his bike and shoes for the race. Local races are great.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm with ya! At Crested Butte (another MSC stop), I noticed I had a rear flat tire when they finally called my class to the line. I thought my day was over and was already admitting to an DNS. A buddy of mine started asking around and a guy in my class, in the start line, let me have his "flat kit" he brought down. So with the help of a couple of other bros we changed the tube and pumped up the tire just in time for me to put on my goggles and hear the starter to say, "okay rider in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go!"

Freakin' sweet! Thanks again Jim!

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
I was more than happy to let Chris race my 4x bike after I got eliminated. It was awesome to see Chris rip on a bike he'd never ridden before in a race run.

Our class this year (30+ Expert) was like that all year. Super fun and competitive, but everyone treats everyone else really well.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Where is that???
Mont Blanc. Went out and rode on sunday. Sorta steep ($28) considering they only have 4 dh trails (3 marked, 1 lame as hell fireroad thing). One of the other 2 trails is mildly technical, but has 0 flow. The 4th however is super flowey, tight, big berms in the woods. Tons of fun.

They also have a bike park, but I only went though it once, and to be honest, the jumps were either homongous or just really short and steep - you couldnt hit any with any sort of speed on a big bike, but they are probably good on a hardtail.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
yeah! best post in a while......our toonie dh and xc race series here in whistler pretty much kicks all kinds of ass.......tyler morland got back an hour before one of our dh races after doing a whack of canada and world cups, he said he couldn't wait to get back to the phat wed. 2 bucks, a beer, about 1000 bucks worth of prizing every other week and pretty much zero timing issues.....support your local race series....