Quantcast

Why should I vote for Kerry?

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Please do not mention Bush AT ALL. I would like to see why everyone is voting for Kerry based on the issues, not a hatred for Bush. Thanks

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
drift1492 said:
Please do not mention Bush AT ALL. I would like to see why everyone is voting for Kerry based on the issues, not a hatred for Bush. Thanks

Good question.

But I think you are asking too much from the average Kerry voter.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
How about: 'The Issues'? But apparantly these don't actually matter in US election anymore. This year you're having an election about typewriters of the 70's. Great!

Anyway, I digress: Please click on this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/americas/2004/election_issues_guide/default.stm

I like Ralph Nader's ideas best, Then John Kerry's although some are still stupid, and
I like the other guy's least. Which set do you like best?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
drift1492 said:
Say someone hands you two glasses, and says you have to drink one.

One glass is battery acid, the other is wheat grass....you pick. Neither is going to be pretty

You can't really define this election (because both candidates are pretty close as far as platforms go) without considering both candidates, like it or not.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Interesting thing is they all have a few good ideas. But I seriously doubt any of them ever come to light. Politics are politics and partisan is partisan. I'm tired of the lies and deceit by politicians in all areas of our goverment from federal to state, to city. It's too bad we cant just take the best ideas and apply to someone whom we would really want to run for president.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
drift1492 said:
Why is it that replacing an incumbent who has lied to the american people, favored big corporation over people and the enviroment, destroyed relations with the international community, blown a huge surplus to the point of having the biggest deficit, and uses religon to manipulate people not valid reasons to replace him?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Silver said:
Say someone hands you two glasses, and says you have to drink one.

One glass is battery acid, the other is wheat grass....you pick. Neither is going to be pretty
I like to think of it more like shooting yourself in the foot. However You have a 12 guage shotgun and a 22 cal pistol to choose from. You'r going to do it either way and its gonna hurt.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
drift1492 said:
You should vote for Kerry because the 'rest' of the world would benefit from it.

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Slugman said:
Why is it that replacing an incumbent who has lied to the american people, favored big corporation over people and the enviroment, destroyed relations with the international community, blown a huge surplus to the point of having the biggest deficit, and uses religon to manipulate people not valid reasons to replace him?
So you have no reason to vote for Kerry other than hating Bush? This is what I wanted to avoid with this thread. EVERYONE knows everything you just mentioned. Its been burned into our brains at this point. I want to know Why I should vote for Kerry NOT why I should vote against Bush.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I will be the first to admit that Kerry is a tool, he is campaigning against a despicable opponent and can't even manage better than 50/50 in the polls. Quite frankly I was astounded when he was picked as the democtratic candidate.

The only the thing he really has going for him is he can fock up any worse that the douchebag we currently have in office. Even with that I am not sure I will vote for him.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sheesh this looks pretty pathetic.

Labor laws have been passed that i highly disagree with, Kerry is a backer of Unions and will repeal laws that stifle the working mans woe's of trying to make a decent living. This effects all of the people who get on this monkey and complain about how much our job sucks.....
Kerry will tax the rich taking the burden off the deficit and stabilize the economy so important tax funded organizations don't get cut like CPS. There are tons of kids being lost to society because the funds are nonexistant now.
Kerry will put more money on the borders to the south. Right now federal money is being put towards the border up here to Canada. Well that stops alot of BC bud from coming in, but at the Mexican border, illegal aliens are coming in in droves. Big security breach for terrorism there,but what the hell they drive down cost of labor as they flood the menial job market, and send their money back to Mexico or Honduras or wherever. You want a raise pal forget about it, it's not coming with this current administration. But you better believe business is getting a new boat. Woo hoo party time if you're "IN".
Essentially Kerry will tax to have more money to help out domestic policy.
i have no confidence of the current administration cares of the american people. If you noticed in his acceptance speech at the republican convention he was very bland speaking of any kind of domestic policy, but when he started about his rant on the war in iraq he became very passionate. He doesn't care about his fumblings because he really doesn't honestly believe he has failed at his job.
Now the common belief is that Kerry shot himself in the foot in Nam how can he lead this country? i personally think anyone who's ever served has a better idea than anyone the costs of war. The character assassination that went on was utterly irresponsible, the dude went into war when he had the choice not to. period.....
I don't think Kerry will take the stance of lobbing missiles in a country like Clinton and thinking that will solve the problem. He'll refocus the aggression where it's needed, at terrorists. We're stuck with our imperialistic aggressive move in Iraq, only in 10 years will most everyone in America say "crap we sure lost a whole hell of a lot for nothing". Just like Nam.... Why not have someone in there that's been to the show and knows the deal, regardless of if you hate what he did after the war. At least he went.
Kerry will also repeal laws that are a negative on the environment, if you look at business's track record you'll see why this is important. i work for construction companies that if they could dump roofing tear off into a lake to save a buck they would, now think of that on a more global scale.
i could go on and on.... The thing about it is there are way different priorities on the federal, state, and county level. There are democrats here in the state of Washington who need to be replaced by republicans and/or libertarians. Because the state is different than the concerns of a nation as a whole. And the democrats are sucking here in a big way, as far as changing laws on unemployment, spending, and voting.
So i don't follow people blindly because of party and ignore the failings of government like N8. It's the peoples responsibility to hold people in government accountable ESPECIALLY when they absolutely refuse to hold themselves accountable like the current administration. The government FOR the people BY the people.....

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
drift1492 said:
So you have no reason to vote for Kerry other than hating Bush?
Nope. And I do not HATE Bush, just his policies and lies.

drift1492 said:
This is what I wanted to avoid with this thread.
Too bad. :nuts: If you post something in a public forum you're gonna get any answer 'the public' wants to give ya.

drift1492 said:
EVERYONE knows everything you just mentioned. Its been burned into our brains at this point.
Then why does any positive points about Kerry matter? I've always seen elections as the choice between 2 evils... and I try to pick the lesser evil.

I'm still waiting for the candidate that does not make me feel this way.

drift1492 said:
I want to know Why I should vote for Kerry NOT why I should vote against Bush.
Becasue he isn't Bush, that's best reason I can think of.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
'cause he has various plans, all outlined in this ChooseOrLose interview:
dailyrecycler.typepad.com/blog/files/mtv_kerry_interview.WMV

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
N8 said:
So, you'll be cool when the country votes Mr. Bush back in for 4 mo' years?

:)
Sure but he's not what you build him up to be, even you have to realize that. it'll be great to see how delapidated the world is and see you what kind of spoon fed retardican rhetoric you spew out to protect yourself from future critisism. All administrations make mistakes, this administration is dangerous because they don't correct them, they justify them.
Put in someone like McCain and i'd be happy to support the Republican ticket. But like i say, let's wait and see the debates......

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So Drift1492, Did you actually read and digest any of those links or did you just wait until someone mentioned Bush and then had a go at them, content that you are now morally obliged to vote Bush as stupid Kerry supporters just hate bush and are weak flip floppers?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Skookum said:
Kerry is a backer of Unions......

Kerry will tax the rich taking the burden off the deficit and stabilize the economy......

Two of the major reasons I won't be voting for Kerry :nopity:

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
Yes I read them, but I'm not here to debate. I'm just curious to see which Kerry supporters actually know someything about the issues, and which ones are just voting against Bush.

Changleen said:
So Drift1492, Did you actually read and digest any of those links or did you just wait until someone mentioned Bush and then had a go at them, content that you are now morally obliged to vote Bush as stupid Kerry supporters just hate bush and are weak flip floppers?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
The majority are just voting against Bush. Which is pretty sad.

When the DNC kids where here in Chicago spewing vote for Kerry stuff their main comment to get you to listen was "Help get Bush out of office"

That's just the wrong way to go about earning my vote.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
drift1492 said:
Yes I read them, but I'm not here to debate. I'm just curious to see which Kerry supporters actually know someything about the issues, and which ones are just voting against Bush.
Slugman already noted that Bush is a major failure on the important issues. Why would you relect someone who is a failure - its a good reason to vote against them?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
reason #39:

Cuz you can't vote against him.

DETROIT -- John Kerry yesterday said he now can see no reason why the United States went to war in Iraq, yet added that he still stands by his vote to authorize the war.
anti-war? he's your man!
pro-war? he's your man, too!

he goes on...
"I think it was the right vote based on what Saddam Hussein had done, and I think it was the right thing to do to hold him accountable," he told Mr. Imus, saying his position "can't be clearer."
indeed! :confused:

washtimes.com

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
drift1492 said:
Why? What's your goal? What do you hope to prove or disprove?

I get so tired of these rhetorical posts. No one is fished in by them. We all know you're a Bush supporter, and that you hope to point out to swing voters that Kerry has no platform and people only support him because they hate Bush. The fact of the matter is that Kerry DOES have a platform, but if you hear the RNC claim that he doesn't enough times you believe them. The other fact of the matter is that for ~40% of the country Kerry's platform could be "I plan to practice banjo for 4 years" and they'd still vote for him because they want Bush out that badly.

So the answer to the question you're (for whatever reason) afraid to ask is, yes Kerry has a platform, but no most people voting for him don't know it. As many others have pointed out, it really doesn't matter. Disliking the incumbent is a perfectly good reason to vote against him. That's the way politics work... e.g. French revolution (I pick France because I know N8 is a huge Francophile) was because the people hated the King, not because they were a big fan of whoever might step in as executive leader afterwords.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ohio said:
We all know you're a Bush supporter, and that you hope to point out to swing voters that Kerry has no platform and people only support him because they hate Bush.
i disagree with the premise of a "swing voter". If (as you say) the uninformed are voting for kerry (read: against bush), then what's there to swing?
ohio said:
The fact of the matter is that Kerry DOES have a platform, but if you hear the RNC claim that he doesn't enough times you believe them.
not so fast john kerry. Is the RNC that "craftily" splices soundbites out of context to frame him as a flip-flopper, or is it the actual (& rare) senate votes chronicled? Do you also believe it's the DNC that's bringing up vietnam?
ohio said:
The other fact of the matter is that for ~40% of the country Kerry's platform could be "I plan to practice banjo for 4 years" and they'd still vote for him because they want Bush out that badly.
on this, we agree.
ohio said:
So the answer to the question you're (for whatever reason) afraid to ask is, yes Kerry has a platform, but no most people voting for him don't know it.
and who's fault is that? who should you really be pissed at? from previous link, previous post:
"I asked him a number of questions about Iraq, and I can't tell you what he said," Mr. Imus said after Mr. Kerry hung up.
ohio said:
French revolution (I pick France because I know N8 is a huge Francophile) was because the people hated the King, not because they were a big fan of whoever might step in as executive leader afterwords.
what's that saying? "You get the government you deserve"

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
zod said:
Two of the major reasons I won't be voting for Kerry :nopity:
What's wrong with having a middle class? The ONLY reason there ever was a middle class is because of unions.

$tinkle said:
reason #38:

Cause his wife likes naked kids:
What has Bush brought to the table in the last four years? And let's not hear all the Kerry bashing, if you can.....

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Skookum said:
What's wrong with having a middle class? The ONLY reason there ever was a middle class is because of unions.
Load of crap about the Middle Class, I'm in the bracket and I don't have a Union "protecting" my intrest........

All Unions do is put companies out of business by making demands beyond the curve of capitolism, then companies go bankrupt, like US Air. All thanks to Unions.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
zod said:
Load of crap about the Middle Class, I'm in the bracket and I don't have a Union "protecting" my intrest........

All Unions do is put companies out of business by making demands beyond the curve of capitolism, then companies go bankrupt, like US Air. All thanks to Unions.
Maybe your trade is different, but most trades the only reason they have the level of pay and benefits to keep their heads above water is the unions. I work in construction and it's a fact. Capitalism is a theory based on the big fish eating the little fish. If the little fish don't group together they get eaten one by one. Eventually you'll get eaten too......

drift1492

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
ohio said:
Why? What's your goal? What do you hope to prove or disprove?

I get so tired of these rhetorical posts. No one is fished in by them. We all know you're a Bush supporter, and that you hope to point out to swing voters that Kerry has no platform and people only support him because they hate Bush. The fact of the matter is that Kerry DOES have a platform, but if you hear the RNC claim that he doesn't enough times you believe them. The other fact of the matter is that for ~40% of the country Kerry's platform could be "I plan to practice banjo for 4 years" and they'd still vote for him because they want Bush out that badly.

So the answer to the question you're (for whatever reason) afraid to ask is, yes Kerry has a platform, but no most people voting for him don't know it. As many others have pointed out, it really doesn't matter. Disliking the incumbent is a perfectly good reason to vote against him. That's the way politics work... e.g. French revolution (I pick France because I know N8 is a huge Francophile) was because the people hated the King, not because they were a big fan of whoever might step in as executive leader afterwords.
I had no ulterior motives. It was not a rhetorical question either. I merely asked the question because I do KNOW what Bush has done wrong and would consider myself one of those "swinger voters". I do know a lot about what Kerry has planned out, but was interested to see if anyone knew something or had a link to some more info. I appreciate those of you who made an attempt to answer my question.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Skookum said:
What has Bush brought to the table in the last four years? And let's not hear all the Kerry bashing, if you can.....
  • his hawkishness is a necessity these days
  • he doesn't seek the approval of other nations to protect us
  • tax cuts
  • school vouchers
  • decisive
  • pro-tort reform
  • pro-life (excepting for the death penalty)
  • wants to tap anwar like a $20 whore

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
zod said:
After seeing the gross ineffectiveness of union labor first hand, it is easy to see how they have brought down a low margin business like an airline.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
$tinkle said:
  • his hawkishness is a necessity these days
  • he doesn't seek the approval of other nations to protect us
Oh yah well how come China told us to chill out of talking about N. Korea?
And do we have the funds and chase the WMD's that probably got moved to Syria? or how about the supposed nukes in Iran? If we wanna keep doing what we're doing we have to get money from somewhere, guess who's gonna get more influence cough cough Colin Powel cough cough. Colin Powell's job is to ask for permission if any of you didn't know....

$tinkle said:
Poop in the shoe, i saved $200 frikkin bucks in a year from Bushy.... Big frikkin deal, tax issues are usually out of control on the state level. It's a non issue on the federal level, except knowing that rich assholes are buying a new boat at the expense of alot of programs that will enrich the american community, and not to even go into the deficit.

$tinkle said:
  • school vouchers
Hooray! He got one! Great go to school and get smart while our jobs get exported to India. Better learn frikkin Chinese while Bushy pays your tuition....

$tinkle said:
that's a perception not a reality.

$tinkle said:
  • pro-tort reform
pro tort is that like Pop Tarts? Hey if strawberry is involved i'll have to concede this as a second positive.

$tinkle said:
  • pro-life (excepting for the death penalty)
Let's get a number on how many abortions took place during his watch.
Nah never mind...
Come to think of it, let's count this as a positive as well....i think i agree with pro-life for the simple fact all the dumb born-agains are starting to outnumber responsible folk out of simple breeding practices....

$tinkle said:
  • wants to tap anwar like a $20 whore
uhhh.............

yah......

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Andyman_1970 said:
After seeing the gross ineffectiveness of union labor first hand, it is easy to see how they have brought down a low margin business like an airline.
i've worked non union and union there is no difference except pay and benefits. i suppose your gonna tell me unions don't help F.D.N.Y. and that they are guilty of gross ineffectiveness.....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
zod said:

Do unions distort labor curves? Yes. Are those curves undistorted by the employer on the other side? Oh yeah...

You do realize all those fancy curves from Econ 101 assume that the market is not regulated, and that decisions aren't made under duress (like, for example, working without safety gear because you want to feed your family, and there is no other job that doesn't require you to pick up and move across the country, which you can't afford to do.)

The labor unions are shrinking in influence every single day, and yet they still happen to be the reason that businesses are failing? It's going to suck when labor unions don't really exist anymore (except of course for professional unions, like the AMA, lawyers, CPA associations and the like, but those aren't welfare hungry blue collar workers, so they get a free ride from Republicans) because then you won't have a simple, easy, and usually wrong explanation to fall back on.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Skookum said:
i've worked non union and union there is no difference except pay and benefits. i suppose your gonna tell me unions don't help F.D.N.Y. and that they are guilty of gross ineffectiveness.....
Fire Departments need to be done away with anyways. That's socialized fire protection, and I'm getting tired of my tax dollars being funneled to help other people out. If they want fire protection, let the market take care of it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Skookum said:
Hooray! He got one! Great go to school and get smart while our jobs get exported to India. Better learn frikkin Chinese while Bushy pays your tuition....
Except that they'll laugh at you in China when you apply to work at a biotech firm with no understanding of biology because you were taught that the Lord created everything in six days and then had to take a rest...