Quantcast

Why the olympics may suck.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I love the olympics, so it's sort of too bad. The Aerials and snowboarding will be interesting. There is convoys of dumptrucks with snow heading down the highway and helis bringing it up the mountain. Crazy.

I'm not complaining about riding hero dirt in shorts and a t shirt in mid Feb. though. Helmet cams from Stevo tomorrow!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Ya, the Cypress event's are going to suck unless they use the bails of hay to the best. I was canoeing up indian arm today by deep cove and was just in a life jacket and pants.... So warm.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
wellllllll if the the olympics are gonna suck.... and they have no snow.... they should have DH racing.... just a thought.....

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
So Cypress and Seymour look like that what about Whistler/Blackcomb? Alpine skiing on haybales ain't gonna work hahah! I imagine the altitude in blackcomb will help with the snow quality?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whistler has massive quantities of snow. Seymour is green right to the top. Cypress they have been sending in convoys of dumptrucks with snow from up north, and helis to ferry it to the top. It's insane. The snow is pretty much now only on the event venues.

The local Deep Cove paper just had an article about them installing refrigeration pipes under the half pipe and aerials venues to keep the (now very expensive and well travelled) snow in place.

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Ha, I was looking at the news on NBC, VANOC, BBC etc... trying to find out if Whistler/Blackcomb was ok, cos I heard the huge amounts snow they where bringing into the lower Vancouver event sites. Well at least the "blue ribbon" Alpine events should be good to go, getting excited. It's a pity Skier-x has haybales!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I always though whistler was the last place to have snow problems. When there was no pow anywhere all the snow mags went to whistler. That's strange.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
plenty of snow in whistler....and with a huge ski event ready to go for saturday mother nature looks ready to crank up the snow machine! bring it on, the mountains are dead and I need some more knee deep to shred!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Yeah, I hear the alpine course is nicely iced over and ready to go. Whistler events, not an issue, events at Cypress... there will be snow but conditions might not be idea.

Also this isn't the first time that unseasonally warm weather has affected a winter Olympics.

I'm not that worried though... an epic 16 day party starts on Friday!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
plenty of snow in whistler....and with a huge ski event ready to go for saturday mother nature looks ready to crank up the snow machine! bring it on, the mountains are dead and I need some more knee deep to shred!
I hear you, the weekend is shaping up sick for the white stuff. The mountains are so deserted now it's just unreal! :thumb:

Poor Cypress though :( Looks like they could get a little snow over the next few days but then rain again on Sat/Sun just to piss on their parade.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If there is such an issue with snow why don't they move the 3-4 events to Whistler with the other alpine events?

You would think they would have a plan for this, it is the olympics.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

They could do a shopping cart race instead!!! Vancouver is one of the hot-spots!
This documentary Carts of Darkness is free, and is really good (about homeless guys who bomb hills on shopping carts for fun):
http://films.nfb.ca/carts-of-darkness/

Just fyi, probably not appropriate for work due to language. And it's an hour long. ;)

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
If there is such an issue with snow why don't they move the 3-4 events to Whistler with the other alpine events?

You would think they would have a plan for this, it is the olympics.
if you saw the infrastructure they set up at each venue, you'd understand why this isn't even close to being a viable option...

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
When I drove by the roadsigns pointing to the venue this fall, I wondered, knowing it was going to be a El Nino winter. Of course this is a bit ridiculous - - but I'll take it after the last two.

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
hockey is indoors so I'm not too worried (although outdoor olympic hockey would be the sh!t) in all reality it is the only winter olympic sport I really get into. I've snowboarded for 19 years and the olympics is putting way more of a jock mentality on the sport, so I don't follow the events with much interest. can't wait for this hockey tournament though, damnit I'm jealous of you 'nucks.