Quantcast

Why the Roadie Hate? Idiots.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Heck SM,

I haven't seen you in so long....I am starting to think you look like your avatar.

My mind is getting old so details are starting to blur. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
In my commute...it veries from say 10sec to a minute. not alot right? It isn't really...unless you recognize the fact that it doesn't even need to be 10sec.
OK - of course it goes without saying that cars never slow cyclists down at all? Is that a true statement?

A bicycle commuter may share his route with 5000 motor vehicles, those same vehicles maybe sharing the same route with less than 20 bicyclists... as a highly edumacated numbers man I am sure you can do the math.

It's not the bicycles that are causing you the most grief in your daily commute. The enemy lies within - get on your bike and do the the Burke Gilman commute yourself. You owe it to society. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh, I'm aware of all the vehicles I am blocking, don't confuse my aloof and hauty nature for ignorance. When riding it's my personal safety that concerns me the most - its the years of road riding experience that have formed my attitude. 99% of drivers do not think they should share the road - ride the road yourself for just 20 miles and you will see exactly what I mean. Most people in cars do not give a flying anything about people on bikes - people like Skookum are the rare exception.

To me defensive driving/riding is being aware of your surroundings and giving situations which can easily be avoid a wider birth. I do it on a street (motor) bike all the time. I assume I am the only one going to keep myself out of the meet wagon so I choose to repect larger objects for what they are....

Rhino crushers.

:D

Iwould call that attitude Offensive riding not Defensive. Personally Defensive for you, but Offensive to every other motorist.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
OK - of course it goes without saying that cars never slow cyclists down at all? Is that a true statement?

A bicycle commuter may share his route with 5000 motor vehicles, those same vehicles maybe sharing the same route with less than 20 bicyclists... as a highly edumacated numbers man I am sure you can do the math.

It's not the bicycles that are causing you the most grief in your daily commute. The enemy lies within - get on your bike and do the the Burke Gilman commute yourself. You owe it to society. :)
I am 49% ready....:o:

See I need to get over two ridges....excuses excuses. I can alter a route one way to limit the grade of one ascent but there others are straight up :( Now I need a road bike so I can cover ground fast.....yeah like the bike is holding me back.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That's not positive thinking at all - it's not the bike; its the CARS!!!

Who knew brainwashing would be such a bitch? Tiring for sure. ;)

I am 49% ready....:o:

See I need to get over two ridges....excuses excuses. I can alter a route one way to limit the grade of one ascent but there others are straight up :( Now I need a road bike so I can cover ground fast.....yeah like the bike is holding me back.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Oh, I'm aware of all the vehicles I am blocking, don't confuse my aloof and hauty nature for ignorance. When riding it's my personal safety that concerns me the most - its the years of road riding experience that have formed my attitude. 99% of drivers do not think they should share the road - ride the road yourself for just 20 miles and you will see exactly what I mean. Most people in cars do not give a flying anything about people on bikes - people like Skookum are the rare exception.
Do you think holding up cars helps bicyclist one bit? How does inviting rage improve your personal safety?

If you are riding at half the speed limit (speed at wich most other vehicles go even you when you drive) and holding up traffic you are not "sharing" the road. You are now monopolizing the road.

You are right cars don't care.....so why put yourself out farther into harms way than needed?

Yeah Skookum is a cool cat.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do you think holding up cars helps bicyclist one bit? How does inviting rage improve your personal safety?

If you are riding at half the speed limit (speed at wich most other vehicles go even you when you drive) and holding up traffic you are not "sharing" the road. You are now monopolizing the road.

You are right cars don't care.....so why put yourself out farther into harms way than needed?

:stupid:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
That's not positive thinking at all - it's not the bike; its the CARS!!!

Who knew brainwashing would be such a bitch? Tiring for sure. ;)
I am all about flat ground and descents....it is the ascents that are killers. I hate climbing and I beleive a granny gear climb it would be for me .....or pushing. :( :o:

I have scouted the possible routes though.....it is only like 10 miles.

I need to so some test runs on the weekends....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I am all about flat ground and descents....it is the ascents that are killers. I hate climbing and I beleive a granny gear climb it would be for me .....or pushing. :( :o:

I have scouted the possible routes though.....it is only like 10 miles.

I need to so some test runs on the weekends....
do you have a triple front? If not, maybe get one. Careful, once you start climbing, you might like it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OMG - if you can't detect sarcasm, who can? I'm actually a fairly fast rider and live in the freaking country!!! I might see one car per mile when I ride the back roads - I'm not part of your King County population disaster!!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OMG - if you can't detect sarcasm, who can? I'm actually a fairly fast rider and live in the freaking country!!! I might see one car per mile when I ride the back roads - I'm not part of your King County population disaster!!!
Easy there tiger......

So I have agreed that some boneheads messed with you when they propably shouldn't

I talk about road riding in general

Now because your comment was sarcastic yet echoed through out the "KC population disaster" by some bicyclsits I can't resond to it? My comments still hold true.

;)

I live in the real commuting world...you had a bunch of red neck teens messing with you while I have dentists in their STP jackets holding up cars.....:D

Uh where were either of us going in these last two posts? :confused: :D

Everything so quiet in Aberdeen that you need to go out and make trouble there, SM? :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
No. You are just stupid. I thought you checked out of this thread... triple indeed. (Roadie Wannabe...) :eek:
no, I wasn't leaving the thread, I simply wasn't going to contribute any more. I'm having fun watching Rhino put you in your place!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
No. You are just stupid. I thought you checked out of this thread... triple indeed. (Roadie Wannabe...) :eek:
If I bought a road bike it would have to have a triple....'cuz I am fat and lazy. ;)

....Triple indeed.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey,

this is totally unrelated, but since youre in the "junk" business these days...do you have any beltbuckles for sale? Ill buy them. Im starting a collection.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by LordOpie
oh, I understood what you're suggesting... you must live in fairyland cuz I think most places in the world you'd get hurt for that.

I know that one time in a hundred I'd get run off the road. out of the 10 times i'd get run off, i'd get run over.
Sounds like you are the one living in a strange land. Is Denver full of intolerant hicks who enjoy assaulting and trying to murder cyclists?

If you spend some time riding road you will understand that this is actually the best way to ensure your own safety, not put it in jeopardy.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
No I was pretty vulgar....mostly in that one line. :D :p It was uncalled for. I hope someone laughed at it...because said in the right tone (missing from messege boards:( ) it can be funny....honest.
I laughed.... quite a bit acutally :)

my "graphic" comment was aimed at the fact that it painted such a vivid picture, that it really left nothing to the imagination. :thumb: well done my friend!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I was on my cel phone yappin to my buddy about this thread, and i wound up spilling some big mac sauce on my friggin pants. Made me so mad my knee slipped off the wheel and i plowed into a group of roadies..... Dammit totally screwed up my day and made me late for the Simpsons on t.v..

Stupid roadies..........

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Skookum
I was on my cel phone yappin to my buddy about this thread, and i wound up spilling some big mac sauce on my friggin pants. Made me so mad my knee slipped off the wheel and i plowed into a group of roadies..... Dammit totally screwed up my day and made me late for the Simpsons on t.v..

Stupid roadies..........
haha, that sounds like an intro to a Simpson's episode! :D

"I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. I will not hit roadies. "

disclosednot

Chimp
Jul 16, 2002
Asheville, NC
On the way home from work tonight I saw the aftermath of an accident involving a moped and a luxury sedan. It appeared that the sedan decided to follow the laws of physics rather than those pesky illogical right away laws and turn directly in front of the moped. I mean how could the moped driver have been so inconsiderate driving in a lane at a speed somewhat less than that of the limit; did he not comprehend the almighty power and speed of the sedan. The moped was trashed and the driver was removed from the scene via a back board

On a less serious note, I was suprised to see that certain environmental issues never entered this debate. I mean as a person somewhat concerned about the long term impact of cars on the environment and my ability to make use of said environment, I consider it my civic duty to make use of transportation other than my personal car. I realize that my bike may delay them in some respect, but I find myself unsympathetic in an area of the world that is witnessing dramatic increases in asthma and related respiratory problems due to ozone problems. Such ozone problems are attributed to combustion (i.e. gas powered vehicles) and can be prevented by finding alternatives. If I inconvience people enough maybe they'll step their fat ass out of the car and ride when they are able. The whole if you can't beat them join them philosophy.

Sorry for the preachy rant. Yes, I am an environmental science major... and I now prepare myself for the crusifixion that will inevitably ensue.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
I started to comment earlier about how Portland has bike lanes all over and I feel lucky about it, but that people always turn right just after passing me, however I decided not to post it since it had turned into a Seattle-based discussion.

That aside, I don't even feel safe in designated bike lanes. I follow ALL car-based rules of the road on my bike and still get spit at, stuff thrown at me, yelled and honked at. My solution is to ride on the sidewalk unless there are people within 50 yards. Then I'll drop to the bike lane, pass the peds, and get back on the sidewalk. I might add I also drop to the bike lane to go through intersections.

I think drivers who screw with bicyclists should have their cars taken and forced to bike ten miles a day in traffic.

However, not all drivers are wrong. One morning I was going to Vail to ride DH, took the exit that leads to the traffic circle just to the east, got to the circle, stopped and waited for a roadie to pass, let him go, went 1/4 around the circle (as did he), turned right and as I approached him, he flipped me off. I slowed down and moved left, confused. He looked right at me and gestured to me to come closer, still riding. I rolled down my window and he said with a self-righteous tone, "You weren't even gonna stop!"

At this point I was totally confused. I'd stopped before I ever saw him. He continued with a string of expletives. Rather than bear right, wreck him, then do burnouts in the grass by the side of the road all over his body, I bailed and went riding. To this day I wonder what that guy was thinking, who he thought I was, and what he thought I'd done to him. It really wrecked my day and I'm still confused what that was all about. One minute I'm on the freeway, then stopped at a yield sign, then getting freaked out on by a roadie talking about stuff I can't relate to.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by edo-chan
However, not all drivers are wrong. One morning I was going to Vail to ride DH...
he was having a bad day and it had nothing to do with you. How hard is that to understand? Everyone has bad days.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Thanks to him for wrecking my day, and God forbid I cross paths with him again.

Seriously, it made me mad. Maybe I need to go read the Lord Opie Rules of Dealing With Roadies but cripes, what part of waiting kindly, getting confused by inappropriate gestures, getting verbally abused, and not murdering a braying ass doesn't make sense?

Opie, if that was you, you were wrong and you're kinda husky. You know I stopped, and I'll wrestle you anytime.:D

edit for smiley:D