Quantcast

wiat a minute, i just lost sight why i am still running tubeless.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
its all about getting the bead snug before you try and pump it up, and then using an air compressor too. I had a similar problem on my nevegal, where the bead wanted to sit in the center channel and left just a few mm of open space - enough that it wouldn't even come close to starting to seat when blasted with air. I was doing ghetto tubeless, and i eventually got it working with a stans rim strip and a cut 20 inch bmx tube with a hole cut in it placed over the valve. It worked really well at holding air, (kept it at 32psi for three weeks without ever having to add air) and kept me from flatting, but it wasn't real efficient as far as weight goes. I woulda kept it anyway but i hated the nevies so i bought myself a pair of minions and it wasn't a problem anymore, but i'd definitely make sure to use an air compressor and make sure the bead is snug around the entire rim!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm using a compressor, and I have a tie-down around the tire to get it extra snug onto the rim. I even used a paint brush and painted Stan's on the outside of the tire bead so that it *should* seal up easier.

I think it's probably the 2.35" tire, and it's just too narrow to really get squished into the bead to form a sufficiently tight seal.

If I can find a 20" tube, I might try the ghetto technique. Actually, forget it. I'll just run a tube and hope I don't flat.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
That's crazy that your having a problem with an aircompressor. Typically, I can get them to inflate with a floor pump. Are you able to flow a lot of air with the air chuck your using?

The getto tubeless might work better since you can take the valve core out of a Schader tube and flow even more air to get it seated.

Then, there is always the butane method that I have seen people use to seat tractor tires. It involves blowing stuff up so I would advise against it.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I just switched my MTX 33s/DHF 2.5s to tubeless yesterday, and rode trail with them today. They worked perfect. I see no reason to run tubes at this point. Although it didn't save any weight, I definitely noticed a difference in how the tires felt. I run them at about 30 psi, and they feel awesome, definitely better than with tubes. I'm definitely happy with the Stans setup.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm riding ghetto tubeless as of roughly a week ago, and i don't think i'll ever go back. 600g dh tubes are just ridiculous, the wheels feel much faster on the trail now.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
you should really make sure the tire seals first before putting any stans in it. soap water works wonders.

even tho other people have had good experiences with 721's and tubeless, i have bad ones. its pretty much the hardest rim to go tubeless on because of the way the bead lock is.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It took over 2 hours, but I finally got the 2.35 Minion to go on the 721 earlier this morning. I followed the directions over at NSMB and just did it ghetto style. I have these wicked cool Maxxis strips, but they seem pretty worthless. The ghetto method seemed to go together pretty well, and it actually inflated with a floor pump. I did not feel like driving over to the gas station and spraying myself and the half the pumps with Stans.

The tire has held air for a few hours now, time to get some brake pads and ride some trails!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
GAWDDAAAAAMMMMMMM!!! I'm 3 HOURS into trying to get this rear wheel to seal up... Maxxis 2.35 Minion (non UST), 721 rim, 4-5 layers strapping tape above 2 layers electrical tape, and a Maxxis rim strip. I have never been more frustrated trying to get something to work. My entire porch is covered in Stans goop. This is ridiculous. I'm going back to tubes. F this.
Haha, we've all been there at some point, man-up a bit ;)

To be fair you're trying to use a non-tubeless tyre on a non-tubeless rim, and whilst I know that's possible (I did it for a couple of years "back in the day" myself!) it ain't the easiest way :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm using a compressor, and I have a tie-down around the tire to get it extra snug onto the rim. I even used a paint brush and painted Stan's on the outside of the tire bead so that it *should* seal up easier.
FWIW the tie-strap idea has NEVER worked for me (although I've only tried it a couple of times). A MUCH easier and more consistent solution when you get a stubborn tyre and you're determined to inflate it is drive to your nearest car-tyre place and ask nicely to use their compressor for a minute. They run ridiculous airflow on those things and whilst I've only done this 3 times I think, it's popped them on instantly in every case :)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
FWIW the tie-strap idea has NEVER worked for me (although I've only tried it a couple of times). A MUCH easier and more consistent solution when you get a stubborn tyre and you're determined to inflate it is drive to your nearest car-tyre place and ask nicely to use their compressor for a minute. They run ridiculous airflow on those things and whilst I've only done this 3 times I think, it's popped them on instantly in every case :)
The bead on the skinny lil 2.35 wasn't really close at all to the sides of the rim without the tie down. Once the tie down was around it, the tire mushroomed out nicely. Kind of odd, but the tire only inflated when the valve stem was on the bottom.

I got 9 months of daily riding with only 1 flat on my XC bike with a Continental 1.9 tubeless XC tire. That was running a Bontrager UST rim and the Conti was a UST tire. I used Stans, and still can't believe the pinner little tire worked that great. Usually I flat at least once every 2 weeks, except for the DH bike w/DH tubes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Another solution is (at added weight penalty, and i don't know how it would hold up to heavier riders - I'm 170 with gear) is double stacking ghetto tubeless style and using two cut tubes (one with a small hole to go over the valve) to make sure the tire is snug. Didn't have any trouble with burping or anything when i did this, and it held air for 3 weeks without ever needing to be pumped up (started it at 60, let it sit for 10 minutes, then dropped it to 32). This was with 2.5 nevies with a kevlar bead. Basically you just need to make sure the tire bead is snug with whatever its in contact with BEFORE you try pumping it up.

That way didn't really lose me any weight over going with tubes (pretty sure it was actually significantly heavier given that i was running light wight xc tubes, which switched to two bmx tubes + stans) but it did give me a nicer feel then with tubes, and i didn't get any flats (which i normally get)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
good to hear that you got it. As Seb said, everyone who tries to mount non-tubeless tires has issues the first few times. I remeber driving around at nationals looking for gas stations with air compressors with enough volume to seat tires. Now, I just carry a crappt 12 volt mini compressor and a 5 gallon tank. Typically, I don't need it though. Maxxis Strips, Maxxis tires and Singletrack rims are easy to seat tubeless.