Quantcast

Wicked Racin'?

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
DUDE! that guide is freakin GENIOUS! i have one and i have never dropped my chain, and it shifts PERFECTLY!! plus i dont even use the lower roller, so it saves me some pedaling resistance!

everybody who i have talked too about the guide says exactly the same thing! and plenty of them race DH

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
DUDE! that guide is freakin GENIOUS! i have one and i have never dropped my chain, and it shifts PERFECTLY!! plus i dont even use the lower roller, so it saves me some pedaling resistance!

everybody who i have talked too about the guide says exactly the same thing! and plenty of them race DH

try back pedaling after some rough.....

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
addicted...yeah a few...
1) How does it compare to any other dual-ring guide you've ridden? I am coming off of a Black-Spire Dewlie which I was utterly unimpressed with.
2) How durable is the guide to hits? I ride a lot of trails on the Shore, and am pretty much always at risk of bending/tweaking something on the drive-train.
3) I ride a 4-bar suspension design. Any idea how it would do when coupled with that?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I don't think that this is a "step up" from anything honestly. Shimano and SRAM have done a great job engineering their front derailleurs to work very, VERY well. In my opinion, a bolt on plastic part that doesn't allow the front derailleuer's shift ramps to function properly is not really too beneficial. Call me crazy, but I believe that.. Add to that the fact that the FD does a very good job of keeping the chain where it needs to be on its own, and I just don't see it. The Wicked dude makes some pretty bold claims about the performance of the item, but the fact of the matter is that we prototyped this design in 2001 and found it to have no benefit on the bike. Whatever though, if it makes people happy then its all good.

mjones51

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
Mehoopany, PA
I have not seen this in person, but from watching the interbike video it appears that here is a complete derailler with the shifting plates inside of the plastic guide. From what I see is the plastic guide thing works like the top of a boxguide providing an extended wall that keeps the chain boxed onto the ring you are using. Like with how the box guide worked the chain can probably rattle around in there, but it appears there is no room fot it to fall from the ring. I am not sure about having a fixxed position roller. I think the steppe roller as on a DRS or a floating wheel as on the old box guides would make things a bit more secure and slap free.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I ran one on my Nomad (it's under customer bikes, the gray one) when I had my Nomad. Worked perfectly, had to do some griding to have a corner of it not come in contact on the Nomad's "wishbone." Never dropped a chain. And Mark is probably the best guy I've seen when it comes to taking care of customers. He set my bike up at Sea Otter with it, quickly responded to my e-mails, and even gave me a call at home when I had a couple questions. I dremmeled the bottom roller too much before realizing I had it the wrong way, and Mark send out a new roller, no charge. :clapping:

wickedracin

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
San Jose
We actually designed the Dualrailleur Guide to utilize the proven derailleur cage ramping system to maximize shifting efficiency, and then extended the entering and exiting area to calms the chain as it travels through the guide. The Dualrailleur has 4 to 6 times the surface area when compared to just a standard derailleur, so the chain is actually trapped on the sprockets. Plus you can adjust how close you run the guide next to your chain. As mjones51 mentioned the bottom of the guide hangs well below the chain line to prevent the chain from jumping to the granny when in the middle ring. My opinion is, if the derailleur did such a good job by itself, then there would be no need for single ring guide system. Everyone would just use a derailleur, they are a lot cheaper. Ours guide is made of Polycarbonate (the same material used for bullet proof glass) so the chain glides effortlessly through the guide. We use a stepped roller much like MRP’s LRP to help control the chain when in the granny gear.
Here is a link that will help explain the Dualrailleur chain line
(LINK)
wickedracin

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
We actually designed the Dualrailleur Guide to utilize the proven derailleur cage ramping system to maximize shifting efficiency, and then extended the entering and exiting area to calms the chain as it travels through the guide. The Dualrailleur has 4 to 6 times the surface area when compared to just a standard derailleur, so the chain is actually trapped on the sprockets. Plus you can adjust how close you run the guide next to your chain. As mjones51 mentioned the bottom of the guide hangs well below the chain line to prevent the chain from jumping to the granny when in the middle ring. My opinion is, if the derailleur did such a good job by itself, then there would be no need for single ring guide system. Everyone would just use a derailleur, they are a lot cheaper. Ours guide is made of Polycarbonate (the same material used for bullet proof glass) so the chain glides effortlessly through the guide. We use a stepped roller much like MRP’s LRP to help control the chain when in the granny gear.
Here is a link that will help explain the Dualrailleur chain line
(LINK)
wickedracin
What chain ring combo can be used?Since I see no ramped or pinned 36 tooth middle rings,will it improve shifting from say a 22 to a flat 36?

wickedracin

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
San Jose
What chain ring combo can be used?Since I see no ramped or pinned 36 tooth middle rings,will it improve shifting from say a 22 to a flat 36?
We recommend a 22/32-34, 24/36-38 or 26/36-38. we don't suggest running anything bigger as a middle ring. We feel that you are getting away from using the derailleur ramping effectively with 40 or 42 tooth sprockets.

You can run a 22/36 with ramps but you need to be a good shifter if you know what I mean. I am running a 22/34 as in the picture and it shifts good, but you can notice a difference. We always suggest using ramps they just make everything shift smoother. The Dualrailleur wasn't designed to make shifting better, although people have said it does, we designed it to keep the chain in place.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'd like to see a closeup with the chainring in profile.

How does the upper part extend your derrailleur side "4 to 6 times" when most bashrings are larger than the chainring it is protecting. A properly setup front derrailleur will just barely miss the largest chainring.

Does it fit between the chain and bashring somehow? If so, how to you adjust for different sizes of bashring (brand to brand, chainring to chainring).

The derrailleur on my XC/FR bikes seem to do an ok job of keeping the chain in place. I am curious how this actually makes a single bit of difference.

wickedracin

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
San Jose

How does the upper part extend your derrailleur side "4 to 6 times" when most bashrings are larger than the chainring it is protecting. A properly setup front derrailleur will just barely miss the largest chainring.

Does it fit between the chain and bashring somehow? If so, how to you adjust for different sizes of bashring (brand to brand, chainring to chainring).

The derrailleur on my XC/FR bikes seem to do an ok job of keeping the chain in place. I am curious how this actually makes a single bit of difference.
If you look in my orginal post at the end of the post you will see a (Link) that will take you to a page that explains it better.

SSCarver

Chimp
Jan 13, 2008
I have been rockin one on my Intense SS 6.6 and it works freakin great, absolutely no issues so far!

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Wow. Feel the hate. Everyone that's posted here that's ridden the guide has reported back with positive experiences. Is it possible that some people have something good to say about a product that doesn't have the e13 logo? Shocking....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Did you hit your head? Where did I express hate? In fact, what I expressed, was doubt. The device, for all intents and purposes, looks like a box that goes over a front derrailleur that does nothing positive and possibly something negative.

I asked for clarification and an explanation. I'm sorry if you are too daft to comprehend this.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Wow. Feel the hate. Everyone that's posted here that's ridden the guide has reported back with positive experiences. Is it possible that some people have something good to say about a product that doesn't have the e13 logo? Shocking....

That's a good point, but I think what Fraser's trying to say is that the extra plastic doesn't do anything, so you'd have a good expirence with the guide whether it has that extra piece or not.

My girlfriend has the DRS on her bike and hasn't had any problems with the chain dropping either. I'm sure there are also other people like her who would have good things to say about the drs or the lrp with no plastic piece on the top.

I'm not trying to bash a new product, but I'm skeptical of how it all works and the pics on wicked's site don't seem to show enough of how that extra plastic thingy works to convince me.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The plate that attaches to the front derailleur is setup so that it helps/makes sure when the chain is in the sprocket it will remain in there.

The plate extends downward/foward more to make sure the chain does not come off.

Basically from the looks of it, its sort of like a single bash setup, but with a movable backplate to help make sure it doesn't derail.(see picture here).

Never tried one or had a problem with a DRS/FD but that seems to be the basis of what the dualrailer's main benefits are from what i can tell.

wickedracin

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
San Jose
Did you hit your head? Where did I express hate? In fact, what I expressed, was doubt. The device, for all intents and purposes, looks like a box that goes over a front derrailleur that does nothing positive and possibly something negative.

I asked for clarification and an explanation. I'm sorry if you are too daft to comprehend this.
Did you check out the link and did it answer you question, or do you need more detail? I am trying to be careful with my posts, I don't want to get accused of SPAMing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Did you check out the link and did it answer you question, or do you need more detail? I am trying to be careful with my posts, I don't want to get accused of SPAMing.
Ya I looked, but it was taking about 2 days to load, so i came back here and jason had an image up like what i was looking for. I see how you have it set up now, still wondering a bit how it works in the lower gear. I can see how it would work in the upper chainring, but when you drop down the chain can now skip around?

To be honest, I am not sure how much better it would work than a decent front derrailleur (setup properly of course).

thanks for the clarification though. :)