Quantcast

Wicked Vista Stutter

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
So i am having an issue with Vista (go figure).

Every media player I use (Videolan, Itunes, WMD, Real etc.) stutters every minute for one second.

After the stutter video and audio are no longer synced.

With Itunes it stutters more with the purchased songs than with the ones I rip off cds.

I have searched the net for a solution and have yet to find one.

I would just put XP on it but the drivers provided at Acer's website don't work.

I have an Acer Extensa 4420.

2 gigs drr
AMD Athlon x2 64
Raedon 1250 xpress.

Anyone have any insight as to why this is happening?

Who should I call to complain? Vista was preloaded on the Laptop, but it was Home Basic I upgraded(or downgraded) to Vista Business.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
When you say you couldn't find a fix on the net, you mean that none of the fixes that are posted worked for you or you simply couldn't find any solutions?

edit: I did a quick search and saw success with turning off all audio enhancements and/or installed the sata/ide drivers that came with the mb.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
The posted ones didn't work. The hotfix from Microsoft did nothing, nor did changing the hardware settings for the sound card.

Syasti, I will try that when I get home, thanks.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Worst case scenario if you do not want to go through all of the hassle of installing new OS, and you have XP already, and do not want to spend any money, install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. You still have to load an antivirus and spy-ware crap, but at least you can use the basic drivers that aren't bad with it.

Now this is NOT a replacement for a VirtualMachine (VMWare), which costs money, but this solution will work without a re-format.

If you haven't loaded a bunch of stuff on Vista, then seriously consider reformatting and loading XP.

These are just some ideas. I'm sure there are other solutions... like downloading VLC Media Player and seeing if that works.

Good luck.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I use VLC, it's real name is videolan. new drivers installed but the issue still remains.

I hate Microsoft, how dare they push an unfinished OS on me.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I had some serious issues with Quicktime in Vista until I found that moving the files to a non-system drive seems to be the trick. If you have a second partition or a thumb drive to try this with move the file there and play it again.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I had some serious issues with Quicktime in Vista until I found that moving the files to a non-system drive seems to be the trick. If you have a second partition or a thumb drive to try this with move the file there and play it again.
We have a (temporary) winner. Moved them onto a fire wire 60gig portable hard drive.

Thanks

Tt looks that the SATA has some compatibility issues with vista, I need to update the Bios and motherboard drivers to fix that issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the drivers aren't available for vista OR xp? wtf!

vista has been notoriously bad with lack of drivers for things (case in point the recent debacle with creative sound cards), but you can't get them for xp either?