Quantcast

Wicked Will vs Fat Albert

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I have just fitted the Wicked WIll I have had for a few months and while I really like how light it is, nice volume and rolls fast it doesnt brake as well as I would like. I will run the WW during winter as my trail tire but I would like to start looking into another option in the meantime. Currently I have a Minion Exo up front with the WW and this is a great light weight agressive AM setup. I have bombed down some DH runs and the Minion front seems fine at 25 Psi but the WW starts flatting below 30Psi.

I have just come off a Muddy Mary front/Big Betty rear and while I love the Mary the Big Betty is average. Also light weight high volume tire with excellent straight line braking. The issue with the BB is that on hardpack it really slides nicely till you look down to see half your side lugs are ripped off.

So I am looking at the Fat Albert as another option. The WW has better side lugs and corners well on hard pack. Looking at the Fat Albert it seem to have a good mix between the WW and BB. Am I right or completely off track.

I like my Maxxis tires but they only have the Minion front in a mid weight package.

daday

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
if you are already having flats with the ww - you will run into that issue with the fat albert much earlier! especially at the same pressure!

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Would have thought the Fat Albert had same side wall protection as the WW. As long as I run 30Psi I seem to be good and this is a better pressure for pedal rides.

I run a minion Front as a rear tire on my DH wheelset. I would prefer something faster for my AM set and I do run the WW reversed for better braking. I just noticed the WW starts to skipp under hard braking where the BB gripped.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I have tried almost all of the schwalbe tires except for the fat albert. I love the WW on the rear in dry conditions but pull it off for wetter ones. The fat albert should be what you are looking for. Even the nobby nick has decent braking characteristics and the muddy mary doesn't roll that bad.

I'm about to be in the same boat. The last of my beloved Gazzaloddi G's is on it's last leg. Hopefully the 3C high roller II or DHR II will be out before it gives up the ghost.

Bring back the G!

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
The shop I work at still has so many of those Gazzas in dual ply 2.6in in the tire room!