Quantcast

Wide bars with a little rise?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Can anyone think of any really wide bars (780mm+) that have an inch or so of rise other than the Pro Taper DH and the Gravity Lite 800? I'd like to get the bar on my Spitfire a *little* higher. Currently running a RF Atlas, and have it as high as it'll go with that setup.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks guys, the Syncros FR31 looks promising. Any other ideas would be appreciated too. :cheers:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i just like to harass Dave
A few years ago when I got I put a Sunline V1 on my Bottle Rocket, syadasti told me that I was running that bar because Rennie or someone was using a wide bar, and that I didn't actually like it. :rofl:

And I'm 6' tall with a 6'4" armspan. I'm a reasonable candidate for wide bars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A few years ago when I got I put a Sunline V1 on my Bottle Rocket, syadasti told me that I was running that bar because Rennie or someone was using a wide bar, and that I didn't actually like it. :rofl:

you're a reasonable candidate for a lobotomy.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
The Transition factory team ran the KORE Torsion Race bars all 2010 season with no problems whatsoever. We used both the 35mm, and 50mm rises. They have a 9 back by 5 up sweep which is pretty much the magic combination, and come in an 800mm length.

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/handlebars_torsion_race_35.html

Lars

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Chromag Fubar OSX.

Not a huge difference in rise, as I just put Atlas bars on my big bike and really noticed how much lower they are. (Than the Chromags.) 30inch width for your Spitfire sounds perfect to me...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Chromag Fubar OSX.

Not a huge difference in rise, as I just put Atlas bars on my big bike and really noticed how much lower they are. (Than the Chromags.) 30inch width for your Spitfire sounds perfect to me...
Sorry, you lost me there- you're saying the Atlas you just put on does feel substantially lower?

The Chromags are gorgeous, and the shape looks good. Might be a winner.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry to ask this, but can't you just put a little spacer under your stem? I'm assuming that since you're on a spitfire, it isn't a DM stem. You didn't mention any issues with the feel of the bars or anything....

Just askin. :)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
LOL... I was gonna ask the same thing but didnt' want to sound like a kook.

Or he could even get a stem with a better rise.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So what about this post?

Geo wise, as pictured with the 170mm fork and offset shock reducers, the BB is at 13.2" and the HTA is a little over 65. Pedaled it around through the snow and the front end's kinda high, I'm going to drop it a bit over the weekend.

is it too high, or too low? Make up your mind already!!
;)

just kidding... I'm looking into a Spitty as well and sis a search on it so I bumped into your other post. Any more updates on how it rides?
What were you on before?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Sorry, you lost me there- you're saying the Atlas you just put on does feel substantially lower?

The Chromags are gorgeous, and the shape looks good. Might be a winner.
Sorry. Chromags: more rise. Good bend too. Only reason I switched was I wanted a little more width.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sorry to ask this, but can't you just put a little spacer under your stem? I'm assuming that since you're on a spitfire, it isn't a DM stem. You didn't mention any issues with the feel of the bars or anything....

Just askin. :)
I wish it was that easy. No room, stem is all the way up.

So what about this post?

is it too high, or too low? Make up your mind already!!
;)
I meant that the fork is a little tall for the bike, not that the bars are too high. The fact that I'm lowering the fork exacerbates this "I want the bars a little higher" thing.

Here's a review I put up on a different site a little while ago. Let me know if you've got questions.

I posted a couple ride shots of my Spitty and someone asked me to review it, so here goes. I bought it to be a trail bike first and foremost. I got into the sport by riding and racing XC, and while I still do a race or two a year just to prove to myself I'm still fast (i.e. can still podium a Cat 1 race), the overwhelming majority of my riding these days is AM and DH. I wanted, in short, the lowest, slackest, ~5" bike I could find, and the Spitfire was it. I'm 6' tall and riding a large, which fits well. Build wise, it's got an RP23, 36 Vanilla, Hope/ Supercomp/ Flow wheelset, Joplin 4 R, Formula Ones, etc. I've run it almost exclusively in the low setting, and made myself some offset shock reducers to make it just a little lower and slacker. As it sits now, with the 160mm fork and a zero stack headset, it's got a 13.1" BB height and a 65.5 degree HTA.

The good: The Spitfire is a hoot on the descents, and is still plenty sprightly on the way back up. The rear end is stiff enough (I only weigh about 160# though) and the geometry is pretty well sorted. As a bike to flow any bit of singletrack you might come across, it's stellar. It climbs well, it descends great, and is very much at home hammering along flatish, rolling terrain as well. You're not going to confuse it for an 8" DH sled, but the suspension is better than a lot of other 5" bikes I've owned and ridden. Larger hits can overhelm it a bit- it's not as if it won't handle them, but it does let you know that a 6' drop is about the most it's comfortable with. It's a trail bike. If I really want to send stuff I'll ride something else. Build quality seems really good, the finish is holding up well, and it looks great. Cable routing is well thought out, and the inclusion of a 4th set of guides for a dropper post is a nice touch. The bushings take a little break in, but become much smoother after a couple rides, and are very easy to service.

The bad: It's hardly a perfect bike. Pedal feedback in the small ring is pretty awful. I got around this by running a single 32t ring. If you're fine forgoing a FD, the problem disappears. It would be a really poor choice of bike for a Hammershmidt. Running a bit larger than average small ring helps a bit, but I got fed up, said **** it, and went 1X9. It's light enough and pedals more than well enough in this configuration to work for me. Your mileage may vary. Setup with an LG1+ was straightforward, and it's been working flawlessly. I also find the seat angle to be a little steep for my taste. I've got the seat where I want it, but it took a set back post with the seat slammed as far back as it would go to make that happen. The negative here is that the clamp on the Joplin isn't the best and does slip once in a while, but it's only happened a couple times when I came down hard on the back of the seat. Annoying, but manageable. The other big issue I had was with the stock pivot hardware. When I got the bike, as I am wont to do, I went to pull everything apart just to check torque and grease, etc. Tried to turn the first pivot bolt to loosen it, and the head snapped off under almost no torque. This was particularly frustrating since I was going to ride the next day. Banshee was nice enough to include a couple extra pivot bolts, but If you look in the picture below, you can see how thin the walls of the bolt are- it is drilled out because I had to do so to extract it, but only the slightly smaller inner diameter there was my doing- the hole they drilled for the broach to make the hex head was way too deep, and created a very thin spot at the head. Rather than put another similarly defective bolt in, I made a new one, and went for my ride in the morning. Banshee actually told me this was intentional so people didn't over torque them. Whatever. I replaced all the pivot bolts and have had no troubles since.

Edit: -BB-, I go to school in Claremont. If you'd fit on a large, you're more than welcome to try it out sometime.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'll turd the Kores. Had a set on my gravity sled for a while, no complaints. Am switching for more purpler bars and just cause i don't like running huge bars for three years in a row.