Quantcast

WiFi Antenna

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Moved into a new place and I've found that my Mac Mini is struggling to pick up a WiFi signal. A friend had his MacBook over and got great reception as soon as he stepped outside of my all brick place.

What can I do to boost?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Where is your access point located? If it is an all brick building you may be getting into a psuedo faraday cage with the metal conduits running through the walls. Your best bet is to move your access point, as "increasing the power" really isnt an option (FCC has issues with it).

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
My home office has windows, but mounting my Mac next to a window in Phoenix is prolly not a good idea.

Is there nothing available?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What is the access point that you are using? There are a TON of options for this. Help us narrow it down.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
What is the access point that you are using? There are a TON of options for this. Help us narrow it down.
Fuq do I know about WiFi? I have a Mac Mini with built in Airport and there are many free connections available in my hood. I can only see a Motorola and some other locked down corporate network from inside my place. Free internet is the goal.

Do I need an Airport Base Station to go with the repeater?

Thanks Splat.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The high gain antenna is only going to work marginally well if you aren't sticking it next to the window, but you might be able to do a long wire run to the window to connect the antenna. I don't know how long the wire can be before the signal degrades but I'll poke around later and find out. I think that will be your only really good option without a lot of trouble.

edit: just noticed it was a Mac Mini. That means no external antenna. I don't know if there's a way to connect an external antenna in that case... :think:

The problem with the repeater is that most repeaters are only compatible with their own brand of wireless access points... and since you're trying to pirate a signal, that's not going to work. You either don't know what kind of access point they're using, or if they're using something obvious, you won't know if that will change... and then you're stuck with a $74 brick.

You can hack a Linksys wireless access point and install Linux on it, but that's a pain and you're more likely to screw it up than get it right if you've not had experience with Linux. That would be a last ditch effort.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The wifi card in the mini is very small and has no external antenna port. You need two paint scrapers to access it, but its not going to do you any good.

Maybe someone makes a USB antenna with a lot of power and OSX drivers.

In some areas using open WiFi networks is illegal even though its the owners fault for leaving the gate open with a sign to come in...