Quantcast

Will 8.75 shock work for 9in needed shock

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I have an iron horse yazuku, it has a crappy metal r rear coil 9X2.75
so far I've been pretty much unsuccessfull to find anything in my price range, but I have found loads of 8.75 shocks. So would it be that much of a difference with an 8.75 shock on the bike. I didn't think it would be the best thing to do but not the worst either
any help thanks:nopity:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i am running an 8.75" Manitou swinger 6 way on my kumicho this season, i think it should be pretty dope. It will slacken your head angle and lower your bottom bracket which is a big plus if your fast enough to make that work for you. The geometry is closer to a sunday with the 8.75 shock.
You may need to file/dremel a little bit of material here and there, although I have not fitted up my shock yet. I've gotten the OK from Ironhorse/DW that it should work and hold up.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
untitledsince89 said:
not very responsive, theres no air rebound controls which limits adjustability, very solid easy to tune shock, just want something a little better
air rebound controls? can you explain that?

I'm having no complaints about mine, but then again I come from a Fox Float RL.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Pip3r said:
I've gotten the OK from Ironhorse/DW that it should work and hold up.
Clarification on this. The bike will have metal to metal contact with the 8.75 shock. If you decide to mount it, you will need to remove a small amount of metal from the swingarm or FT to make it work.

This of course voids all warrantys. Just becuase it is possible to mount does not mean that Iron Horse or myself condones modifying your frame. Any modification or deviation from the stock shock spec should be done at the rider's own risk. I suggest using a 9X2.75 shock.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
zedro said:
you meant 2.75 right?

what a bizarrely spec'ed shock, what were they thinking? :rolleyes:
When the bike was designed in mid 2003, FOX was completely off the back, and Progressive and Answer were the industry leaders in suspension, with Romic making a charge. The bikes were designed with a stock length 9X2.75 shock which is standard for all 3 companies. FOX is still the only major OEM manufacturer who does not offer the 9X2.75 length in a coil. The longer size was intened to allow the mounting of new generation long travel air shocks that were being proposed at the time. The longer I2I would allow easier implementation of beneficial air spring compression ratios, hence the reasons that the R&D departments at Answer and Progressive suggested their customers spec the 9X2.75 over the 8.75X2.75.

Now you know.

2006 is the last year for that size on Iron Horse bikes.

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
Untitled:
Keep your eyes on the classifieds or perhaps post a "wanted" over at the IH forum on mtbr.

Several '05 7POINT owners have switched over to rocos and may be willing to sell their old 9 x 2.75 shocks

rideitall

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I am one of those 7 Point owners. I have an almost new 5th Element 3 way off my IH 7.5, it has only seen about 4-5 rides total. I sent the shock back to Progressive Suspension to have the 7 Point retune. I am not using the shock as I prefer the Roco over the 5th.

Send a PM if interested.

Cheers

Jeff

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
rideitall said:
How much coin did that set you back. I have not heard too much on the new Manitou, but what I have heard is good, but pricey.
I have no idea what they are supposed to cost, but it looks really expensive with the ti spring and very nice machining.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would definately modify the frame to work w/ the short shock. Low bbs and slack angles are teh roxxor.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Bicyclist said:
I would definately modify the frame to work w/ the short shock. Low bbs and slack angles are teh roxxor.
Yeah low BB iz teh kewl, but too much chopper action iz teh ghey.