Quantcast

Will Americans improve now Palmer is back?

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
If you are a young gun American rider, would you want to be beaten by the returning 40 year old Shaun Palmer?

For example JD must have stepped up his game a little to win the other week?

Of all the things that have been said about his return, I think that this is the most important - whether he is a team player or not does not matter, it is going to have a great effect on American racing and finally give the European riders some competition!

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Hell yea they will! I think Palmer's enthusiasm for racing, winning, and having fun while doin it is contagious! He is a freakin legend and having him back on a DH bike can only be a good thing for American racin'.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I think it will improve America's interest in DH racing. There are a lot of people out there who don't pay attention to DH, but still know who Palmer is and may look into the sport when they here he's back racing something.

But when he went by at Nationals I thought "F$%K that guy is over 40? He's freakin flying!"

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yep, Palmer will light fire under their asses. 20 year olds should not get beat by a 40 year old who hasn't raced in 10 years.
Yeah, Age is just an excuse for guys who have a job! 40 year olds have experience, smarts and plenty of base riding over 20 year olds.
The disadvantage to being older is that you don't recover as fast from training and injuries. So if you're smart you can use those to your old ass advantage and still hang with the 20 somethings or beat them!

I think there is more talent nowadays than of the Downhill legends of yesteryear! Much more parity at least! I have raced with both Generation Pros
There is just more Worldwide talent and the up and coming young Pro's just have to realize that it takes more than riding your bike everyday to be the best.
In other words you have to be willing to sacrifice party time! And be willing to do the unfun work that it takes to be a World Class Athelete.
The top boys in the world can't sleep at night if they don't feel like they trained harder than the other top guys that day.
We are spoiled in so many ways in the U.S. we don't even know how it makes us weaker...

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
But Napalm is gonna get smoked at the World Cup level?! It's guys like Gwin and JD that give me hope.

I'm not sure America has realized yet that to be consistently near a World Cup podium your fitness has to be in top form, requiring proper top level training. These are the world's best athletes after all. Gonna take committment and focus and a solid team around you, not just style and personality. (That's not a rip on Palmer by the way, he is, or was rather, a top athlete in his time.)

The grassroots, regional, and national level races all need to keep growing and expanding to give racers experience and a chance to progress from all level. This will provide the framework for talent which will naturally emerge with time.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ride with a 48 yo motorcross racer that would smoke 1/2 the riders on this forum on his mountain bike. 40 yo is not that old.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I ride with a 48 yo motorcross racer that would smoke 1/2 the riders on this forum on his mountain bike. 40 yo is not that old.
what old person can compete at the highest level of sports?

its a short list:
Lance Armstrong-50+ years old or something
Favre-...not anymore
Jamie Moyer-46
....?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Sometone needs to tell Lopes...

Lopes retired from World Cup competition 2 years ago...

Yah, he could still compete for sure! Maybe even still win here and there.
I wonder if his WC retirement came as some World Class caliber athletes do: retire soon after you've racked up the titles to leave the legend in tact!
Or maybe just tired of all the traveling? Who knows? He is the best mountain
bike racer of all time IMO!

COMPETITIVE WILL! Brian and Lance both have that drive you can see it bubbling over!
IS that what the up and coming U.S. racers are without? Apparently only a few are blessed with it to truly dominate at that level... In the U.S. or abroad!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
One man can make a difference.

When Palmer first came around in the mid 90's, he lit a fire under SO many people's asses it had a positive snowball effect on the entire circuit and eventually the global media (in the small circle of MTB media and main stream media). When we all learned that 1 year before he even made his splash into MTBing he had every video, every race on tape and would watch them, study them. He had every magazine-looking at the pics, studying rider styles. He was so whooped on this sport and had a bigger desire to win than most guys out there it just made EVERYONE hungry to COMPETE, BATTLE and RACE.

When you watch Palmer ride, you do not say he is the most amazing rider you have ever seen (like when you watch Nico) but you can instantly see the guy has heart, drive, desire...and that alone inspires people to try harder. Throw in the fact the guy has a Lance Armstrong machine underneath all the ink and flab, you have a mix for a racers champion or a peoples champion.

And hell, the guy is SO into the tech side of things too, he already has SO many ideas for new stuff at Intense that people would trip on what goes on inside his head for making things work better.

You have to excuse me, I had a delicious glass of Palmer kool aid this morning.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
One man can make a difference.

When Palmer first came around in the mid 90's, he lit a fire under SO many people's asses it had a positive snowball effect on the entire circuit and eventually the global media (in the small circle of MTB media and main stream media). When we all learned that 1 year before he even made his splash into MTBing he had every video, every race on tape and would watch them, study them. He had every magazine-looking at the pics, studying rider styles. He was so whooped on this sport and had a bigger desire to win than most guys out there it just made EVERYONE hungry to COMPETE, BATTLE and RACE.

When you watch Palmer ride, you do not say he is the most amazing rider you have ever seen (like when you watch Nico) but you can instantly see the guy has heart, drive, desire...and that alone inspires people to try harder. Throw in the fact the guy has a Lance Armstrong machine underneath all the ink and flab, you have a mix for a racers champion or a peoples champion.

And hell, the guy is SO into the tech side of things too, he already has SO many ideas for new stuff at Intense that people would trip on what goes on inside his head for making things work better.

You have to excuse me, I had a delicious glass of Palmer kool aid this morning.
nice, i got the sh!ts last time i had some of that. but anyways... it's good to see him back and I think he'll provide some boost to other riders, just by him being there. I mean it's Palmer...like you said he has more fire and heart than most people in the world. I can't see him being that competitive, but a top 10 would be nice to see!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Napalm kicked a$$ for not racing in so long. DH has come a long way since he was racing. i think he'll be stepping it up even more, which in turn will make a lot of other people step up their game too. Not necessarily to be faster, but just because they'll be stoked that he's still rippin it up and getting faster as he gets older.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
With Palmers back ground, it is going to be a good watch. If he stays onboard and does not get owned then he has the potential to stir things up for a fair chunk of the field.
My biggest concern is that the majority of the current top DH WC crop have been living and breathing DH for a few years now and are dialed. Palmer can sure ride but he is no doubt a bit rusty and at the top level you can't afford to give away anything. Time will tell I guess :thumb:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
what old person can compete at the highest level of sports?

its a short list:
Lance Armstrong-50+ years old or something
Favre-...not anymore
Jamie Moyer-46
....?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Occhilupo

Occy is just getting better with age, not one pro surfer in the Professional tour that wouldnt fear coming up against him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Slater

9 time world champion, still going stronger than ever, best surfer than has ever lived. I also don't doubt he will go on to take 10th and proceed to dominate for years to come