Quantcast

Will Any Off The Shelf Shocks Suit a 2:1 Leverage Ratio?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am a weirdo and I want a rowdy XC bike with a capable shock, I know zip about shocks but it would seem the shortest stroke in something ENDURO worthy would be 50mm stroke.
I only want 100mm of travel, so would there be anything with valving light enough without just having everything open?
I'm 110kg in gear and the frame would be a custom one from Marino again, 120mm front, 100 rear, similar to this-
1590924639245.png

Yes I know more travel will be faster but this will be my only bike and XC on an ENDURO bike is just so boring it's not funny and that's what most of my local stuff is.
Ideally I'd ride more, get my skills up, drop some weight and be fine with the HT but that hasn't happened in a few years so it's time to put a bullet in the ol' hardtail.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That Marino looks cool. They have those listed on a site somewhere or is that a one-off?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Off the shelf shocks are designed for a 2.5:1 LR and a 70kg rider.

Using a super low LR is a problem, being a lot heavier than 70kg is another problem, but when you have these two problems at the same time they cancel each other and you get a really good result...

Anyway, if you want to ride more get an Ebike.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Off the shelf shocks are designed for a 2.5:1 LR and a 70kg rider.

Using a super low LR is a problem, being a lot heavier than 70kg is another problem, but when you have these two problems at the same time they cancel each other and you get a really good result...

Anyway, if you want to ride more get an Ebike.
Does 85kg count as a lot over 70kg? Has never felt like much of a problem to me :)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That Marino looks cool. They have those listed on a site somewhere or is that a one-off?
Yeah their website, has a full options list for the dually frame, when I ordered my hardtail is was all email ping pong, this should speed it up a it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
An off-the-shelf Avalanche Chubie/Woodie tuned for your weight and ride.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Well, to be fair, that really comes when you just buy some random shock first and then ask him if it'll work.
Comes with woodies and chubies too, he refused to adjust the rebound valving on mine. Wasn't asking for free, paying full price. First time he built one for a mondraker too. Apparently its too perfect even though it's packing like crazy. Then he got really offended when I told him I'm going to do it myself and refused to provide me with ifp depth.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Comes with woodies and chubies too, he refused to adjust the rebound valving on mine. Wasn't asking for free, paying full price. First time he built one for a mondraker too. Apparently its too perfect even though it's packing like crazy. Then he got really offended when I told him I'm going to do it myself and refused to provide me with ifp depth.
Well still, it remains an option. Just got my rebuilt RC4 back from him and it's perfection. So nice to be able to slam the bike so hard with so much support. Just magnitudes better than stock crap. I understand talking to him though, it was like trying to talk to a human computer at times. His brain processes differently.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That's not fun. I"ve had good experience with him but i only used his fork cart

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Craig has just finished a re-tune of the fork cartridge for the DH bike, and it should be shipping back this week. Really had no issues, just told him what was wrong, and what I felt needed to be changed (lighter tune, as I'm not as fast as I was - age and injury suck)