Quantcast

Will DT swiss 5.1 tubless rim strips work with mavic ex721's??

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Will DT swiss 5.1 tubless rim strips work with mavic ex721's??

The width of the rims are fairly identical, the 721 looks a bit deeper in the middle though looking at the internal profile.

My concern is the rim strip might not be wide enough to seal against the tire, also the 721 does not have the flat area for the tire to sit which might be a problem as well.

I know the ghetto systems does not work very well, and neither does stans on 721's.

Pics of what im on about. Thanks.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Beleive it or not i had a maxxis rim strip and it got tossed during house moving, now they don't make them no more :-(

Its only $5us to send them to me USPS, and i will pay you with good quality karma....... or i can send you some money.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have no idea if those strips work with the Mavic, but they work awesome with the 5.1
I did not have any problems with them all year. Well, except for putting them on, but other than that they were great.
The 721 is almost the same width, so I do not see why they would not work.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have no idea if those strips work with the Mavic, but they work awesome with the 5.1
I did not have any problems with them all year. Well, except for putting them on, but other than that they were great.
The 721 is almost the same width, so I do not see why they would not work.
My main concern is due to the deeper profile it has more of a distance to cover, so the strip might not get to the edge of the rim/tire beads.

That is, assuming it goes right to the edges. What does the strip look like, how wide is it, does it go right to the rim edges? Does it have a groove to lock the tire in like the maxxis ones?? Can find anything about it.

I assume that once the strip is on you put a hole in it and put on the tubless valve?

Could you put down a layer of narrow rim tape(velox makes an 11mm) under the strip to help build up the center section?
I was thnking that, but you would need a few layers of tape to make it up.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
My main concern is due to the deeper profile it has more of a distance to cover, so the strip might not get to the edge of the rim/tire beads.

That is, assuming it goes right to the edges. What does the strip look like, how wide is it, does it go right to the rim edges? Does it have a groove to lock the tire in like the maxxis ones?? Can find anything about it.

I assume that once the strip is on you put a hole in it and put on the tubless valve?

I was thnking that, but you would need a few layers of tape to make it up.
The rim strip goes right up to the rim's edge. The strips are not rubber like the Stans strip, they are some sort of plastic. I think they are tougher, from my experience anyway. And if I am remembering correctly, there is a groove for your tires.
The valve setup was nice too. It comes with a little tool to tighten up the presta part. I don't remember having to cut a hole in the strip either.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
what is the point, advantages and setbacks of using a rim strip?

I used a 20'' tube cut in half all year and had no problems....
I have had a blow out on the track before with the ghetto method which resulted in stans spraying me, and could have been alot worse..

Then there is the time the tire blew off the rim, inside my house, inside my room at 3am in the morning, spraying stans all over my wall. I woke up and im like "Whats all this white stuff everywhere", thought i had had the biggest wet dream ever........

So, ghetto = bad for me, especially with ex721's. I don't like having the extra rubber between the bead and the rim, and its too thin and easy to break, and a bitch to get to seal. Been there, done that.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I ran the Eclipse Tubeless strips on my XC bike and they worked well. The valve setup is better than stans and uses a seperate tubeless style valve. The strip is a hard plastic which was pretty durable and strong. The one area i'm not sure if rubber would be better since the tire could adhere to a rubber strip easier than a plastic strip but I didn't have any issues with it on my XC bike.

The strips are pre drilled so you dont' have to poke a hole in the strip. If you need to run a tube, you just have to take the valve out. The valve core can be removed to insert fluid without completely removing the tire from the rim. The fluid in the DT kit is not as good as Stans sealant in my experience but you can run stans sealant in there without any problems.

hope that helps

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Wouldn't mind knowing this myself. Does the 5.1 have double eyelets?
nope, its a single eyelet

edit: i am sorta in the same type of problem, toasted my 721 rims, and want to go to tubeless. the options are go with a 5.1 and rim tape, or a 823. the 823 being slightly heavier but might end up lighter with out the rim tape and will be stronger for sure.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I had not heard of the 5.1s changing only th 6.1s. FWIW I have a set of new 5.1s sitting here to be built up for the 'all but DH' bike. They look quite well made but they are VERY light for the size. 500g on the nose for both that I have.
No way that I would run these on a DH bike. They are almost 100g lighter than the mavic 721s.

Have you guys tried the stans strips on the 721? In my experience, the stans strip is very tacky and almost semi-vulcanizes to the tire bead. When ever I change tires, I litterally have to put a tire iron between the strip and bead and run it aound the tire to 'un-stick' them. If I deflate the tire and pinch the beads together, the stans strip stays stuck and sealed to the tire bead, pinching with it. I have never lost any air or burped a stans set up and from my experience, i am not sure how it would happen...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
How about this question then. I want to run Maxxis rimstrips on my Sun SOS rims. I wasn't lucky enough to get a guy at Sun that could say for certain which size to get? Do I get the 26A...which is 1 size smaller than the DH version?

The guy at Sun said the inner rim width on the SOS is 23mm? maxxis's site only sells these 3 styles, btu the guy at Sun mumbled something about "I'm pretty sure the one just smaller than the DH one works.

Style: 26A1
Part #: RS00468000
Inner rim width: 19, Inner rim height: 9.5
Style: 26A3
Part #: RS00468300
Inner rim width: 17, Inner rim height: 10
Style: 26A5
Part #: RS00468400
Inner rim width: 18.2, Inner rim height: 9.5
????

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
A couple of years ago I used the D521/721 with Stan's strip on the rear. Had some burping due to the deep groove in the rim. So I put one or two layers, (don't remember) of double sided foam tape in the groove. This made the inner profile of the rim very flat, almost like the rhynolight I used on the front. (The rhyno worked excellent with the strip, btw! Just not as sturdy as the mavic rim.)

Depending on how thick the tape, or rim-strip, you put under the Stan's-strip, it gets pretty hard to mount and un-mount the tire. But once you got in on there, there will be no burping!

Use some soapy water to help installation and ease of inflation. You will probably not have a problem inflating even with a pump, because the fit is so tight!

If you don't change tires that often, give it a try!

I'm tired of the messy procedure now, and just use welterweight tubes (about 200g) for DH and some Michelin's 120g for trail... :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Check this out for a comparisson chart between notubes/eclipse strips vs. tons of rims!
http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/excel_reader/page.php

There are some oddities to that list. The one that I found out for myself, is that the DT5.1 does NOT fit the stans freeride strip. It takes the 'standard' strip via Mike B @ stans. The outside size of the 5.1 meets the criteria for the fr stip, but I undertand that the inner measurement of the DT 5.1 is narrow for its outside width.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Here's how Evan comverted his 721's to tubeless:

E.T. said:
You could save a ****load of weight by converting to ghetto tubeless. You will need to use some strapping tape to build up the rims diameter which will allow the tire to bead up. I know because I have set up tubeless on those same rims. Then run a 20 inch BMX tube cut at the outer seam and stretched over the rim as a strip. 60cc of STAN'S!!! sealant (don't experiment with other stuff, it is a waste of your time) and some air and you should be good to go. If you can't get it to seat then you need to add more strapping tape under your bmx tube rimstrip to tighten the fit. Then cut off the excess BMX tube. This should drop almost a pound off the bike and make it handle like a dream. Also ditch the 2.7 for a 2.5 and you'll drop like a quarter pound up front.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
There are some oddities to that list. The one that I found out for myself, is that the DT5.1 does NOT fit the stans freeride strip. It takes the 'standard' strip via Mike B @ stans. The outside size of the 5.1 meets the criteria for the fr stip, but I undertand that the inner measurement of the DT 5.1 is narrow for its outside width.
hmm, it has an internel witdh of 21 mm, so it logicly should use the rhynolite strip.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
hmm, it has an internel witdh of 21 mm, so it logicly should use the rhynolite strip.
The rhyno lite strip has thicker outer 'shoulders' to deal with the internal profile of the RL and the 521. My only guess is that it is not needed and might cause a problem with the 5.1 and other rims with a flat under the bead?? All I know is what Mike @ Stans told me...