Quantcast

Will it be like the Fire XC craze?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well I have done it. For the first time in 3 years I have purchased a tire for front use that is not either a Conti Vertical or an Explorer pro.

The question is... last time I did this it was to follow the fad of the Fire XC and I thought it sucked. This time its the blue Groove and the Nevagal, have I followed another stupid fad again or is there something to this?

The rubber on these tires feels super sticky so I assume there has got to be something to all the rave reviews these tires have gotten.

Whos rides them? WHat are they good at vs what do they suck at?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My nevegals have been very disappointing. Considering the cost and all the hype, I expected them to be excellent tires - they are average at best. My old verticals were a better all-around trail bike tire for the conditions I ride in, and my current Cinders are much better.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I have run BG's on my XC bike and a Nev/BG combo on my DH bike and I've been real happy with both. They've held up well and the traction is really good. This is in NorCal conditions, brah.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What about the new maxxis "Advantage" tire, to me it looks like that is going to be one bad mofo for the northeast this summer, 2.4 front 2.1 rear w00t w00t.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I consider the vertical pro to be one of the WORST tires I have ever used in my entire life. If this is your benchmark, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
manhattanprjkt83 said:
What about the new maxxis "Advantage" tire, to me it looks like that is going to be one bad mofo for the northeast this summer, 2.4 front 2.1 rear w00t w00t.

Do they make a 2.4 yet? I was eyeing those up but only saw 2.1s offered.

J

JRB

I like Nevegals. I do not like Blue Grooves. I also don't like Vertical Pros much.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
jacksonpt said:
My old verticals were a better all-around trail bike tire for the conditions I ride in, and my current Cinders are much better.
I really dig the Cinders too, but Golgi said he didn't like the FireXC (and the Cinder is pretty much a burlier version of that tire).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco said:
I like Nevegals. I do not like Blue Grooves. I also don't like Vertical Pros much.
WHat is it you dont like about ther Verts? They corner great for me. We have a lot of rocks and hardpack here. I'm hoping the BG's and the Nev's are going to be pretty clingy because of that sticky rubber.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
WHat is it you dont like about ther Verts? They corner great for me. We have a lot of rocks and hardpack here. I'm hoping the BG's and the Nev's are going to be pretty clingy because of that sticky rubber.
If it was anything other than really deep loamy soil, the front end washed out. Same thing with Blue Grooves. The back Vert Pro was ok, but if it was a little damp, it sucked.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, I like my Kendas but I also think the Fire XC is a great tire (just too skinny) and have never liked Conti mtb tires, so, um, good luck with those.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
golgiaparatus said:
Well I have done it. For the first time in 3 years I have purchased a tire for front use that is not either a Conti Vertical or an Explorer pro.

The question is... last time I did this it was to follow the fad of the Fire XC and I thought it sucked. This time its the blue Groove and the Nevagal, have I followed another stupid fad again or is there something to this?
Just curious, what didn't you like about the Fire XC's?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
bluebug32 said:
I love how people ask for the opinion of the entire, geographically diverse country when they want to buy a tire for riding on their trail
It isn't as nutty as you are implying. For example, if a bunch of people from diverse geographic areas all said the tire sucks and the sidewalls blow out, then you may not want to buy the tire. There is info out there, you just have to filter it for yourself. :clue:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
bluebug32 said:
I love how people ask for the opinion of the entire, geographically diverse country when they want to buy a tire for riding on their trail
It irritates the piss out of me when people like you make comments that include "I love it when people ____" in the thread in which they are referring.

Why don't you say something like... "I like the BG's because they work great on the rocky terrain in which I live"... or "they suck on roots and we have lots of those here" or maybe you should opt for something more like "they suck because I got one stuck up my ass and that is why I have nothing better to say than a sarcastic ass comment that is simply put here to make me look cool and righteous."

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
pixelninja said:
Just curious, what didn't you like about the Fire XC's?
For some reason I could never get them to feel stable. I'd hit a corner hard and lean in and nex thing I'd knnow the tires would start sliding. It was cool that they were predictable but the conti's that I was accustom to held on better. Again... I am referring to dusty hardpack. We have lots of rocks here, they were fine on those... I flatted a lot with them too, that was probably coincidence though.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
golgiaparatus said:
For some reason I could never get them to feel stable. I'd hit a corner hard and lean in and nex thing I'd knnow the tires would start sliding. It was cool that they were predictable but the conti's that I was accustom to held on better. Again... I am referring to dusty hardpack. We have lots of rocks here, they were fine on those... I flatted a lot with them too, that was probably coincidence though.
Interesting. My experience with them has been good. To me they feel stable and I don't flat much.

Wish I had some experience to share about the Blue Groove and the Nevagal, but I don't.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The BG worked really wet in the damp slimestone around here. I was running front and rear. The rear wore really quickly. I tried running them in the summer and they did OK, but would wash out in the dusty corners though it was usually a very predictable slide. Biggest issue I've heard is some people end up throwing knobs -- Austin riders and it is really rocky.

I've switched to a weirwolf(2.3) in the front and trail bear(2.25) in the rear.

I was talking to one of the local pro riders(kenda rep) and seems folks are running the nevegal in the front and a BG in the rear. Haven't tried the nevegals yet.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Just ride them as see as already mentioned!

I finally found a set up I really like. I'm running the Geax Sturdy 2.5 rear and the Continental Diesel protection 2.5 on the front. Pure Bliss :)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
pixelninja said:
Interesting. My experience with them has been good. To me they feel stable and I don't flat much.

Wish I had some experience to share about the Blue Groove and the Nevagal, but I don't.
I'm actually kind of skeptical about the BG's because the tread pattern is so similar to the Fire XC's, its the rubber that has me curious it feels really sticky and soft. Feels like it should really hook up in the summer conditions.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Wumpus said:
The BG worked really wet in the damp slimestone around here. I was running front and rear. The rear wore really quickly. I tried running them in the summer and they did OK, but would wash out in the dusty corners though it was usually a very predictable slide. Biggest issue I've heard is some people end up throwing knobs -- Austin riders and it is really rocky.

I've switched to a weirwolf(2.3) in the front and trail bear(2.25) in the rear.

I was talking to one of the local pro riders(kenda rep) and seems folks are running the nevegal in the front and a BG in the rear. Haven't tried the nevegals yet.
Actually its really rocky here... I tend to destroy knobs really fast. Currently using the trail bear in the rear because it's knobs are so sturdy.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
golgiaparatus said:
It irritates the piss out of me when people like you make comments that include "I love it when people ____" in the thread in which they are referring.

Why don't you say something like... "I like the BG's because they work great on the rocky terrain in which I live"... or "they suck on roots and we have lots of those here" or maybe you should opt for something more like "they suck because I got one stuck up my ass and that is why I have nothing better to say than a sarcastic ass comment that is simply put here to make me look cool and righteous."

LOL...

SNAP!!
:stupid:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
golgiaparatus said:
Again... I am referring to dusty hardpack. We have lots of rocks here, they were fine on those... I flatted a lot with them too, that was probably coincidence though.
Dusty hardpack sounds like terrain conditions here in central AR.......I've had great sucess with the Conti Vertical (ran tubeless) and absolutely love the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's (also run tubeless). I ride mostly XC/long trail rides.........not much gnarly DH'ing.

I have considered the BG's though........but they seem a bit heavy.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
golgiaparatus said:
The Nevegal's should corner really well for you. I find it to be one of their strong points, next to the stick-e rubbers effectiveness for climbing exposed rock. They seem to do better than average on wet roots, also.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
golgiaparatus said:
No harm meant, man. Don't make me get the panty debuncher. I was just implying that your LBS might be a better answer than us folks from varying terrains.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
bluebug32 said:
No harm meant, man. Don't make me get the panty debuncher. I was just implying that your LBS might be a better answer than us folks from varying terrains.

I'd rather take advice from people on RM than my LBS.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I put a set of Nevegal Stick-E's on the single speed. They handle pretty well actually. I've broke them loose on a couple occassions but they held on long enough for me to get it gathered up. Rear is showing some excessive wear in a short period of time.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've used the UST nevergals and blue grooves here in AZ, mostly sand over hardpack. I like the nevergals, pretty perdictable but heavy. The UST blue grooves are heave and don't seem to corner all that well. Both seem relatively sensitive to pressure.