Quantcast

Wilson's Creek conditions

Jan 12, 2009
How is Wilson's creek looking? Is it covered in several inches of snow?

Are the shuttle roads driveable?

Really wanna hit up the trails in that area before I my break from college is over.

Anyone wanna join?

Jan 12, 2009
The roads should be okay but there is probably a few inches of snow on everything.
Ok, maybe by the latter part of December some of it might have melted...I know you guys in boone got hammered by that storm, bet sugar/beech are great for ski/snowboardin

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
There is over a foot of snow on my deck in banner elk...so probably a couple of inches on everything in wilson creek. We are going to get freezing rain/rain tonight/tomorrow then more snow with another blast of cold air next week. I would hit the slopes instead of the trail if I were you. We were hitting places the other night at sugar that were knee deep.

Jan 12, 2009
There is over a foot of snow on my deck in banner elk...so probably a couple of inches on everything in wilson creek. We are going to get freezing rain/rain tonight/tomorrow then more snow with another blast of cold air next week. I would hit the slopes instead of the trail if I were you. We were hitting places the other night at sugar that were knee deep.
I see, that's a real bummer. Was really looking forward to riding some DH over my winter break from school. I guess I will have to wait till another time, unless you think it is just a really bad idea to head up there. I wouldn't mind riding in the snow, just as long as our 4x4 vehicles can make it in and out of the shuttle roads

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
You could go to Clemson or Paris Mountain if you're willing to drive to cure your shred fever. I had to get the F out of Boone, I was tired of 50 mph gusts of snow hitting me in the face everytime I walked outside.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
We rode Clemson on Sat and will likely go back this weekend. Did Paris on Sun. It's been raining off and on, nothing heavy and some ice mixed in, but all will be good by the weekend. No white stuff to worry about.

Jan 12, 2009
How are the conditions up in Wilson's looking for this weekend? Have you guys had any warmer temps to melt off some of that snow?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I just talked to a friend in Fairview and it's not looking good. He said it's supposed to rain/ice/snow starting tomorrow and be off and on through Wed. This is what he said and I haven't checked the weather myself.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
we are going to get 8+ inches of snow at higher elevations friday into sunday. It is going to snow on and off until next thursday.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
My go-to trail lately has been Sinkhole since its so low in the forest. As Brad said, the higher elevations are definitely gonna get snow, so stay as low as possible.
I have never rode sinkhole before but I know somewhat how to get to it.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Another buddy north of Asheville in Weaverville says is coming down hard. From the weather map, it looks like as soon as the snow goes over Asheville it dies out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
they just let out schools at 1pm....after a 2 hour delay :rolleyes: Sometimes it sucks living in a county with such varied elevation. Nothing here, but I was looking at Clealands house out the window and it's covered.

Edit: Live in Buncombe County/Asheville, not Wilsons. Just confirming with waterdog.

Last edited:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I just got back from a solo sink-hole ride. It was snowing lightly in Boone when I left, and it's snowing fairly hard in town now. With that said, the trail had absolutely no snow or water on it and is significantly warmer down there than up in Linville. :thumb:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Scratch that, the whole forest is covered right now. It started sticking around late afternoon and it doesn't look like its going to let up. Be careful on the FS roads if you go ride tomorrow.

Jan 12, 2009
So we rode the trails that had the open shuttle roads, pretty much just headleys.

Was like a blizzard up there in the AM, but it let up towards midday and started melting off.

Did a Greentown to beehive and theres about 3-4 inches up there. But headleys but really fun by the end of the day, the wind chill was just unbearable though, all in all not bad.

So we rode the trails that had the open shuttle roads, pretty much just headleys.

Was like a blizzard up there in the AM, but it let up towards midday and started melting off.

Did a Greentown to beehive and theres about 3-4 inches up there. But headleys but really fun by the end of the day, the wind chill was just unbearable though, all in all not bad.

I assume that was you that talked to Hotrodmarlin (our shuttle driver) at the bottom of Headley. We did SH, LF, & a few Headley runs that day, had a blast. There was a big difference in the tops and bottoms of the trails as these vids show.

caleb

Chimp
Mar 30, 2010
well looks like i was right about SH, i wish we could have rode it with you. I am acutally the one who talked to yalls shuttle driver. haha

Jan 12, 2009
I assume that was you that talked to Hotrodmarlin (our shuttle driver) at the bottom of Headley. We did SH, LF, & a few Headley runs that day, had a blast. There was a big difference in the tops and bottoms of the trails as these vids show.

Wow, looking at that first video I had no idea it was that snowy at the top! All that snow melted off by midday.

I was driving the one driving the silver ridgeline pickup. We should meet up sometime and ride together up there!