Quantcast

WIM Meeting

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
The WIM Meeting has happened and it went great. A big thanks goes out to Ethan and Joy, Robert, Tad, Chris, Allan, Phil, and Greg for coming and voicing some opinions and some great ideas. Another big thanks to Eric from Round and Round for driving over here to meet with us and survey new race courses. Alot of things were talked about and the most exciting thing that I took from the meeting is that Round and Round really wants to make some changes. Other big things we talked about were future race locations, some ways to spend less money in certain places and more money in others, some organizational changes, and the addition of skills/ course clinics at every race. These were only some of the things we talked about but there was lots of exciting stuff. We will be doing some work parties at Winthrope and Chelan this fall so anyone interested can email me and I'll talk to Erik for you. I'm not going to go into detail cause Eric will be sending out an offical email when he gets back but I'm realy excited. Thanks agian to everyone who came.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
We were glad to make it last night! We look forward to help making next season along with years to follow more enjoyable and fun to ride.

Thanks for meeting with us Eric! We appreciate you listening and taking in all our input! :thumb:

~Mutoli's

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Nate, One of the things Eric needs is a list of sites where races sites across the state where races could be held. Its hard to believe we only have a half a dozen or so.
This is what I heard as a possible race sites.

1. Port Angeles- Apparently this has be used before and would make a good site.

2. Capitol Forest-XC would work but if there is a DH course it might not be in the same area or isnt suitable.

3. Tiger Mountain-A DH course is there but is there parking and a XC course in the same area? Then of course you need permission.

4. Waterville-Or somewhere east of Wenatchee. Seems like there should be something out in the hills between Waterville, Ephrata and Moses Lake.

5. Taneum Junction- There are two dh runs dropping into the campground,
Gooseberry Flat and Lower Taneum Ridge. I guess maybe they are too easy. But they both have shuttle routes. The XC course might be more of a problem. Fishook Flats runs 13 miles for one loop and it has a fair hill climb.

Ok Rm's lets add a few other possible sites before we trash the above list.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Borregokid said:
Nate, One of the things Eric needs is a list of sites where races sites across the state where races could be held. Its hard to believe we only have a half a dozen or so.

2. Capitol Forest-XC would work but if there is a DH course it might not be in the same area or isnt suitable.

3. Tiger Mountain-A DH course is there but is there parking and a XC course in the same area? Then of course you need permission.

4. Waterville-Or somewhere east of Wenatchee. Seems like there should be something out in the hills between Waterville, Ephrata and Moses Lake.

5. Taneum Junction- There are two dh runs dropping into the campground,
Gooseberry Flat and Lower Taneum Ridge. I guess maybe they are too easy. But they both have shuttle routes. The XC course might be more of a problem. Fishook Flats runs 13 miles for one loop and it has a fair hill climb.

I believe all of these were mentioned and talked about!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Cap would be a great XC area. But 2 considerations. Horses and Motors. You cant close the trails to other users. In the summer capital is pretty busy. Plus i bet everyone would complain of riding through horse poo if they used that side of the forest.

DH in cap wouldnt be up to par. I also think it would be hard to create a trail that would be worthy since its all DNR land. The only thing is they could maybe mimic one of the Peaks events and have an extended DH race. More like the super D of the past... (not the new 4 man DH). There is good trail for that. Steep, little climbing, rocky, lots of corners... ect. Question is how would that fit into a norba series?

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
How long is the typical DH coures,time wise? For the faster riders.

Do sport and above run one course and the beginners another?

The courses are generally smoother than tech and gnarly?

Sorry for the Newb Questions,just looking for some info.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
jeepmauler said:
How long is the typical DH coures,time wise? For the faster riders.

Do sport and above run one course and the beginners another?

The courses are generally smoother than tech and gnarly?

Sorry for the Newb Questions,just looking for some info.

Time? At WIM races, 2-3 min. But we would like to see them more like 4-6 since all the Nat's are that long.

Usually pro/ex run one course and beg/sport run another. Sometimes they have mandatory go arounds for the lower classes. Courses like Beacon have optional go arounds.

WIM courses are generally smooth and pedally. Hence the unhappiness. We would prefer more tech courses.

You got any ideas? Or are you thinking about Reiter? I know it's been mentioned before.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
bibs said:
what and wheres reiter?
Index.
It's mostly a huge moto / 4-wheeler area. I know Rhino rides out there. I've been out there a couple of times. There are some sweet trails but I probably couldn't find them again.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
I think Reiter could be made to work with a little effort.I also believe the turnout for a event at Reiter would be huge as it is centrally located.Reiter is a mosiac of jurisdictions,DNR,PUD and private land to name a few.The moto guys have hare scrambles as well as observed trials events out there all the time so I know it is possible to hold an event.Worth a look IMO

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
There was alot of talk about looking at a few of the moto areas. Honestly, with the number of people we have to build trails, places with cooperative land owners and no trails are going to get more support than places with trails and land owners with a no-shovel attitude. About a Tiger DH course, all the stuff that is there is not legal. Eric was going to approach the owners (state I think) and see if they will let us build.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
There was a race at Waterville (Badger Mt, Ski hill), but apparently all the xc's beotched & moaned because there was too much "road" on the xc course. The DH was actually kinda fun, fast, and tight.

I may be speaking out turn here, but from everythign I've heard, the PA race was fun, but the venue itself was not conducive to a large event like... I liked the course, but the parked sucked!

Just my 2 cents.

What we really need to do is figure out a way to Snoqual on board and try and work out something race wise there (without them beign money hungry greedy bastids!)... i don't think it would happen, but hey, it would be good PR for them and could eventually lead to more income during the year?

Borregokid said:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
DHRacer said:
There was a race at Waterville (Badger Mt, Ski hill), but apparently all the xc's beotched & moaned because there was too much "road" on the xc course. The DH was actually kinda fun, fast, and tight.

I may be speaking out turn here, but from everythign I've heard, the PA race was fun, but the venue itself was not conducive to a large event like... I liked the course, but the parked sucked!

Just my 2 cents.

What we really need to do is figure out a way to Snoqual on board and try and work out something race wise there (without them beign money hungry greedy bastids!)... i don't think it would happen, but hey, it would be good PR for them and could eventually lead to more income during the year?
PA was fun, and yea, parking sucked......

Snoqual or crystal? Both owned by companies already running bikes elsewhere.......