Quantcast

Windham Role Call

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Mt. Snow? No thanks, I can cut my own grass for free

Glad to hear Windham was good, read on velonews that the xc guys gave their courses high marks as well; some saying it was the best one of the year. Hopefully they have an independent race next year or a series, they most certainly would attract more riders that way. If they opened for freeriding it would certainly be the nail in the coffin for Plattekill though.
Very True.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If they opened for freeriding it would certainly be the nail in the coffin for Plattekill though.
Lazlo needs REAL trail signs and has needed them for many many many years.

Was up there last weekend.
Rode 15 (est.) different trails.
Left many other trails unridden because i was so tired....
All incredible.

I'd bet there aren't 15 people who can navigate that entire mountain.
Laz needs to invest in real trail signs.
Should have invested in them 8 years ago.

Would take years for any other mountain years to amass that kind of inventory and most could never do it due to the excellent terrain and drainage. That mountain is incredbile.

We already know you don't care Lee and you hate Lazlo.....but just throwing out that pkill still rocks. No need to piss on a guy who has supported racing for 14-15 years.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
They would have been much better off with a Gravity East stop, but there are a lot of XC guys in that area and it appeared that they wanted to support that end of our sport also. XC seemed to have a pretty good turn out from what I could tell, I could be wrong, I do not track the attendance at local xc races.

Everyone should email them to open for freeriding, they are definitely all set up to do it now.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Windham is not interested in freeriding/biking but is interested in holding events, which they do quite well at. The mountain does see a future in our sport and will likely have mtb events annually. Their mistake was dealing with tbb which will not happen in the future. They are quite aware of the Gravity East Series and WC's. Laszlo and the owners of Windham are friends and will likely work together as they did this year.

The mountain went above and beyond expectations and everyone seemed to enjoy the courses and the event.

Well done Windham Mountain:cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Any truth that the pro's got paid? Geritt told me he made $100 for 2nd...not great but better than nothing
John, don't be fooled. The venues are allowed to contribute to the prize purse for their race. Sugar Mountain paid more money at their AMBC races than the National. Why? Because Team Big Bear told them they didn't have to contribute to the purse if they didn't want to. So the greedy resort held onto the cash and played the "The National Series promoter fee is so expensive & the series sponsor pays the riders" card & didn't add to the pot.

If that resort wanted their National to be more successful, all they had to do was put out hte word that they were paying a fat purse to pro class as soon as they were awarded the event. Then pros would have respected the event & participated. Noobdy is STOPPING the venues from putting up money to attract pros....and the venues are choosing to NOT PAY. If a National venue wants a bigger turnout, they need to step up and pay the racers.

Diablo & Snowshoe have a big prize purse...maybe because they ahve the money & want to attract riders. But when Snowshoe was a national..they didn't have money for the purse...yeah, right.:brows:

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Butch, good points...I remember racing back in days of experts getting paid...yeah I'm old like you! haha...but it was cool to see G walk in the door and be stoked on a national event...hell I'm a little jealous of the kid. See ya in the fall!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Lazlo needs REAL trail signs and has needed them for many many many years.

Was up there last weekend.
Rode 15 (est.) different trails.
Left many other trails unridden because i was so tired....
All incredible.

I'd bet there aren't 15 people who can navigate that entire mountain.
Laz needs to invest in real trail signs.
Should have invested in them 8 years ago.

Would take years for any other mountain years to amass that kind of inventory and most could never do it due to the excellent terrain and drainage. That mountain is incredbile.

We already know you don't care Lee and you hate Lazlo.....but just throwing out that pkill still rocks. No need to piss on a guy who has supported racing for 14-15 years.

just stating the obvious. that's a whole lot different than 'piss[ing] on a guy.' as for hating Lazlo you really need to take a step back from the love-in and understand that just because i don't come to his defense every time someone doesn't want to give him a crown it doesn't mean i hate the guy. I don't care for his attitude or the childish anti-diablo complex he's acquired lately but that's pretty much where it stops for me. I don't ride there because it's 4 hours away and i have 3 other lift serviced mountains less than 90 minutes from my door.

So like i said before, if Windham ever gets into the freeride game it's lights out for Plattekill. fact.

though to be honest, I really can't see any bike park in that area surviving in the long term. The Catskills reached their peak some 20+ years ago as a tourist destination and as long as bike parks exist closer to major metro areas i can't see it working out. As a race venue of festival destination sure, but not as an every weekend lift-serviced bike park. This might be hard for you to understand but this is not 'hating on Plattekill' any more than saying "the euro is stronger than the dollar' is hating on America:plthumbsdown:

Last edited:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I'd say they have a pretty good jump on the competition considering they have already been operating for a 10 consecutive years. The riding speaks for its self. The distance factor does suck for the majority, but it doesn't stop people from showing up. Navigation is vague but thats what locals are for.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
just stating the obvious. that's a whole lot different than 'piss[ing] on a guy.' as for hating Lazlo you really need to take a step back from the love-in and understand that just because i don't come to his defense every time someone doesn't want to give him a crown it doesn't mean i hate the guy. I don't care for his attitude or the childish anti-diablo complex he's acquired lately but that's pretty much where it stops for me. I don't ride there because it's 4 hours away and i have 3 other lift serviced mountains less than 90 minutes from my door.

So like i said before, if Windham ever gets into the freeride game it's lights out for Plattekill. fact.

though to be honest, I really can't see any bike park in that area surviving in the long term. The Catskills reached their peak some 20+ years ago as a tourist destination and as long as bike parks exist closer to major metro areas i can't see it working out. As a race venue of festival destination sure, but not as an every weekend lift-serviced bike park. This might be hard for you to understand but this is not 'hating on Plattekill' any more than saying "the euro is stronger than the dollar' is hating on America:plthumbsdown:
I agree with some of that....it will be hard for the remote lift-service area to survive anywhere. This ecomony is far from bottoming-out and recreational bussiness are going to be the first to bear the brunt.....obviously.

The caskills may have "reached their peak" 20 years ago but it is still beautiful up there. Closer vacation spots are already coming back in vogue.....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Mt. Snow? No thanks, I can cut my own grass for free

Glad to hear Windham was good, read on velonews that the xc guys gave their courses high marks as well; some saying it was the best one of the year. Hopefully they have an independent race next year or a series, they most certainly would attract more riders that way. If they opened for freeriding it would certainly be the nail in the coffin for Plattekill though.
A teammate of mine at Windham said that they were looking to put on a series next year. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Actually, if you live in the area, you would see quite the opposite. Many NYC/NJ people are buying "further out" beyond Ulster County and into Delaware County (home of Plattekill). I know of many NJ ski people who "suddenly discovered" Plattekill this past winter season. Property values continue to climb out there, as has been the case since the post 9/11 migration.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch, good points...I remember racing back in days of experts getting paid...yeah I'm old like you! haha...but it was cool to see G walk in the door and be stoked on a national event...hell I'm a little jealous of the kid. See ya in the fall!
you coming to visit the deep souf? When? After the way you guys fed me in the pits, I'll lift trailer hitches every evening. :thumb:

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
you coming to visit the deep souf? When? After the way you guys fed me in the pits, I'll lift trailer hitches every evening. :thumb:
I'm looking to get down to the compound in October, do a long weekend or something...to keep this thread on track...All my riders had a blast at Windham and look forward to another race there next year.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Actually, if you live in the area, you would see quite the opposite. Many NYC/NJ people are buying "further out" beyond Ulster County and into Delaware County (home of Plattekill). I know of many NJ ski people who "suddenly discovered" Plattekill this past winter season. Property values continue to climb out there, as has been the case since the post 9/11 migration.
Gas prices being what they are I would expect to see the Catskills make a comeback in a big way in the coming years.

It's absolutly beautiful up there, I'd move to the Catskills in a second if I could manage to work from my home office fulltime.