Quantcast

Windows 7

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Man, i upgraded one of my laptops from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Beta.... 50x better than Vista... Faster boot up times Faster shut down time, no more stupid Sidebar....

With this Beta version i had no issues yet... up i only use this laptop for Testing purposes only.... but so far i am impressed....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Still Windows though eh...
I still think PC's are better than MACs for what i do with them.

But if i had to choose i would choose Ubuntu over MAC OSX and Windows.... I have a MACBook Pro, 1 PC and 1 PC Laptop running both Windows7 and Ubuntu.... I use my PC for most of my stuff.... Works really good for what i do with it, and I know how to troubleshoot issues that arise on all OS's and i think the worse OS of them all is the MAC OSX.... just my opinion....

i'm not a PC fanboy or MAC Fanboy at all, i just want them ****s to work... it's like these cell phones, they release all these nice cell phones that play MP3's, have cameras, but they barely work as a phone.... can't we just get something that WORKS...... sorry Ranting....

Oh yeah... NY GIANTS are losing...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah the beta is way better than the Vista betas, that's the last time I tolerated Vista on my machine. No problems installing any of my hardware or software.

Got my Xfi working in Ubuntu too, Creative finally posted drivers - I'm free of splitters/integrated audio :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Going to set up a virtu7al machine with windows 7 tonight. Hopefully I can ditch vista once and for all for testing web stuff on. If you think it's slow natively, you should see it under VMware!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
it didnt work while using ubuntu?
No Creative labs driver release schedule for all OS sucks.

The first Linux driver came out in November and requires 8.10 but I didn't bother to check it out until yesterday. The X-fi has been on the market for 3 years...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No Creative labs driver release schedule for all OS sucks.

The first Linux driver came out in November and requires 8.10 but I didn't bother to check it out until yesterday. The X-fi has been on the market for 3 years...
yeah their updates do suck.

yeah i knew its been out for over 3 years....ya woulda thought a company like Creative would have come out with something a little sooner

moegocanes

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Northern California
I never had any issue's with Vista. Tweaked up start up stuff etc and never had a issue with it. After running Windows 7 for a few days I gotta say its real nice. It's like a tweaked version of Vista. I thought I would have a problem with the bigger toolbar but surprisingly I like it. Im testing the battery life and it seems to be doing better than Vista.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I thought I would have a problem with the bigger toolbar but surprisingly I like it. Im testing the battery life and it seems to be doing better than Vista.
You can change the appearance of the toolbar or other visual elements just like any other OS:lighten:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can do that, but over time I have found that leaving things as close as I can to box stock works better since I work on many systems.
Its a beta and as a beta tester his job is test it, not simply use it as is. Based on feedback (shortcut right on the desktop) they tweak it so anything may change from beta to release:nopity:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hence: "former"

i find a windoze system more challenging to administer, but then again, i have a penis

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hello old friend!
Gosh, a blue screen. Imagine, a beta OS that is capable of throwing an error. I'm simply stunned.

Of course, OS X does the exact same thing - only in a far more artistic manner, with the picture of a giant power button in the background.

moegocanes

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Northern California
well so far I'm impressed with windows 7. The toolbar is growing on me. act similar to the os x dock or rocketdock for windows. Every program I had on Vista installed with no problems. My rates on games like Counter Strike Source have been good. Havent had any problems using windows update to get drivers for this HP laptop. I might boot camp it and run it on my mac book pro. Might as well use that for something.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They got rid of the classic "bomb" icon? :confused:
Oh yes, now when you get a kernel panic it looks like this:

Incidentally, one of the OS X kernel panics looked shockingly like the aforementioned BSOD.

Apple clearly decided that providing useful fault information on the panic screen interfered with the "user experience" though, and did away with it.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Headline is wrong, only availability is affected. The beta is over(killed) in August.

The software maker plans to end trial availability of its next OS in two weeks.
There are a couple of loopholes, however. Users who started to download the OS before that date will have until Feb. 12 to complete the process. Also, Microsoft will continue to distribute product keys beyond Feb. 12 to users who have previously downloaded Windows 7 Beta but have yet to obtain a key.