Quantcast

Windrock 4th of July Weekend

FreeForAll

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
Evan checking in. If enough people are coming out that weekend I'll throw down on a ton of bbq brisket so post up so I have an idea how much to bring.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The trails are in much need of love. I don't think they have been touched since memorial day and we have had a ton of storms. Two tornado in fact. Unfortunately don't expect typical Windrock conditions. The trail crew is extremely small and getting smaller.

FreeForAll

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
A long weekend is the perfect time for some maintenance. I'll be doing some work. So EVERYONE bring tools. I could use a weedwacker and I'm not sure if I can get my saw working in time so hook a brother up. Now that I'm settled into my place and I'm close (asheville) I'm gonna be out there swinging tools a ton. That place ROCKS.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
A long weekend is the perfect time for some maintenance. I'll be doing some work. So EVERYONE bring tools. I could use a weedwacker and I'm not sure if I can get my saw working in time so hook a brother up. Now that I'm settled into my place and I'm close (asheville) I'm gonna be out there swinging tools a ton. That place ROCKS.
When you go by exit #24 on I-40 stop by and pick me up:D

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Evan checking in. If enough people are coming out that weekend I'll throw down on a ton of bbq brisket so post up so I have an idea how much to bring.
Better bring a pellet gun to cause there is bound to be a fat b1tch on a 4wheeler doing donuts in the parking lot spraying all the cars down w/ gravel. This time don't chase her down. :D

FreeForAll

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
I've been meaning to organize a work day but now summer is upon us and it probably would be a little warm.
Man up. Better late than never. If you need a ride hit me up. Camp, feast, drink, toke, fireworks, windrock, and trailwork..................GO AMERICA

Oh: A pellet gun would be sweet. Bear spray has a limited range.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to organize a work day but now summer is upon us and it probably would be a little warm.

Dont be such a candy a$$. Memorial day weekend we came up and weed eated a few trails and it wasnt a cake walk but do what you gotta do...
And it was my birfday. Yeah, i weed eated trails sweating bullets on my b'day playa.
Anywho, WR got so much rain that it needs a once over allready.:rant:

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out with trailwork

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You guys can thank Jackalope. Because he is awesome and wants to come ride the Rock I have organized a workday for Thursday afternoon. Heavy begging and bribing went down to make it happen. But we will hope to get as much weedeated as possible. If we find any trees down we probably won't be able to get them cut out but I will report them here.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Dont be such a candy a$$. Memorial day weekend we came up and weed eated a few trails and it wasnt a cake walk but do what you gotta do...
And it was my birfday. Yeah, i weed eated trails sweating bullets on my b'day playa.
Did you also walk barefoot in 3 feet of snow to do your trailwork when you were my age?

Dammit man I've driven from Asheville to WR 3 times now for trail work days!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
While Kenan and Lou are comparing the size of their respective weed whackers, I will confess to being the ultimate trail work poon when it comes to Windrock. The only things I provide are clownish, non-technical DH gear and a lot of sh!tty beer. With that in mind, I will come prepared - let me know if you have any specific alcohol requests.

A sincere thanks to the Doug and the Windrock posse.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The only things I provide are clownish, non-technical DH gear and a lot of sh!tty beer.
That alone is enough.

Unfortunate for you, but fortunate for me an old school group is heading to the Ocoee for some trail biking and rafting this weekend. I hate to miss an Ed visit but Chris Wyatt, Braswell, and Caveman have seniority.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Obviously it is hard to compete with 4' of Louisiana swamp, but here is a little vid illustrating the (clownish) lengths I am prepared to go through in order to finish a local jump line...I call this the Yellow Jacket Mitigation Suit (and yes, it really sucks in 90* plus heat):

302 Found

And Doug, no worries about your weekend plans...It really does seem like you're enjoying your retirement. :thumb:

Again, thanks!

Last edited:

FreeForAll

Chimp
Jun 26, 2011
While Kenan and Lou are comparing the size of their respective weed whackers, I will confess to being the ultimate trail work poon when it comes to Windrock. The only things I provide are clownish, non-technical DH gear and a lot of sh!tty beer. With that in mind, I will come prepared - let me know if you have any specific alcohol requests.

A sincere thanks to the Doug and the Windrock posse.

Sweet. I got food for Saturday at least. I'll try to put up some more for people that stick around and work. I got the grill. Someone grab an easy up. Being that its 4th of July I'll probably go straight to the whiskey myself but I'll have some other swill with me too.

You know you're the man when people call you "the Doug." Thank a ton guys. You've built the sickest DH in the East. Let me know anything specific u don't get done and I'll make sure it gets done.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
While I hate to miss brisket and the fighting cock and Schlitz that comes with any Ed visit, blown up shoulder says no. Enjoy celebrating America at the rock.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
If anyone from the Greenville Area wants to go up early Friday to ride that night and then early Saturday I may be up to going. I have to be back in Greenville by 6pm to pick my son up from his mother Saturday.

Cecil

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
^^^ We solute you!
Yeah for sure. All I can do is barely keep up with maintenance. Some how its difficult to find time to ride XC, build XC trail, ride DH, maintain DH trail, and ride moto. Oh yeah I have to maintain my pump track and I have a wife and two kids. Too bad I have to work. I did more or less give up dirt jumping. Which I hated to do but something had to give. :(

Windrock desperately needs some new local blood. Alex has moved in and has been a big help but we need more than one new guy. I'm getting burned out on all the up keep and I'm getting addicted to moto and trail bikes agains.

Will anyone be riding early Monday? I may want to ride for the third time in three months. :)

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Sooo you still have the DH bike? Good, I suspect by next year you will be burnt on the moto and ready to shred the DH sled with us again on the reg. Haha I have ridden bikes for a loooong time and can say that you must have some variety to keep the 2 wheel spice in your life. I have not owned a moto since 14, but I have raced XC, DS, MTX, BMX, DH, and Road bikes for over 25 yrs. and swap bikes around to keep the passion alive. As long as you're on 2 wheels you are a good person in my book!

Sooo you still have the DH bike? Good, I suspect by next year you will be burnt on the moto and ready to shred the DH sled with us again on the reg. Haha I have ridden bikes for a loooong time and can say that you must have some variety to keep the 2 wheel spice in your life. I have not owned a moto since 14, but I have raced XC, DS, MTX, BMX, DH, and Road bikes for over 25 yrs. and swap bikes around to keep the passion alive. As long as you're on 2 wheels you are a good person in my book!

"the Doug" is not a good person, trust me

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Yeah for sure. All I can do is barely keep up with maintenance. Some how its difficult to find time to ride XC, build XC trail, ride DH, maintain DH trail, and ride moto. Oh yeah I have to maintain my pump track and I have a wife and two kids. Too bad I have to work. I did more or less give up dirt jumping. Which I hated to do but something had to give. :(

Windrock desperately needs some new local blood. Alex has moved in and has been a big help but we need more than one new guy. I'm getting burned out on all the up keep and I'm getting addicted to moto and trail bikes agains.

Will anyone be riding early Monday? I may want to ride for the third time in three months. :)
Does anyone know how locals would find out about WR? Its still hard to believe with the population of Knoxville and surrounding towns that there is not a bigger local scene.
I know there is
this
forum, but if you look there is not one post about anyone going to WR for the 4th weekend??????

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Well only 3 of the 6 showed. So we were limited in what we got done. But Old Windmill and Windmill v2 are done as is Snakerock. The lower trails weren't too bad so hopefully Middle, Dropout, and SR are ok. Sorry more couldn't have been done, but enjoy.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
give me a shout if your riding tomorrow, 850-294-1719. there are still two trees down on new windmill but theyr not in terrible spots.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
It sucked. We all brought our rigid 29'ers singlespeeds (2:1 of course) with H-bars and we couldn't even feel the rocks with our circus wheels. So we just did interval training up to the top of Windmill.

Actually, the Rock reminded me that I suck at bikes, but I still love it anyway. Place was in great shape overall, as Snake, Middle, and Dropout were all in superb condition - just always rougher than I remember. Windmill is probably the best trail I've ever ridden in the States, but as I mentioned above, I suck at bikes. After magically overshooting the lander to the gap jump near the bottom way to the right and crushing a helmet, I nose cased a gap jump on Windmill that I thought was a roller. Didn't like that front wheel anyway. But the rest of the crew had a blast with no major offs, and Evan made some supremely awesome smoked brisket for after ride beer and bourbon. Alex also showed up and cleared most of lower Windmill before joining us for a few runs (he, btw, does not suck at bikes).

Don't know about Sunday or today, but it sounded like a good contingent was going to stop by on Sunday.

Great time as always - thanks again to all who helped make it happen.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just got off the mtn watching fireworks. Stopped by the parking lot on the way up and grabbed the Rebel Yell. Can't wait to get that taken care of. Maybe the National Champs weekend???? Thanks for that BTW.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
it was good riding with yall on saturday, sorry the day had to end on that crash but im glad you guys made it out there!

hater951

Chimp
Mar 31, 2011
swamp
sorry for the late reply but I've been offline for a while. doug u know if us swamp boys lived closer trail workers would not b a prob. this is the 1st year I have missed memorial day and the 4th at the rock. some prick handed me a dirtbike and there's still no surgical prosedure to remove it. the rock is such an incredible place for dh I've never understood the short supply of locals. I mean for christ sakes we have over a dozen that drive 10+ hrs to go there. hope everyone had fun. us swamp boys r colorado bound in 1month

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I had plans on making it out this weekend but I ended up helping the parents put up a pool.

Also, a week or so ago I went to my first mx race in 8 years so of course I'm re-addicted, and have even contemplated selling my bike to have my suspension reworked and overhaul the rest of the bike. If I don't make another trip to WR soon I may forget why I bought my bike in the first place.

I have A.D.D. when it comes to hobbies haha.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'll probably never sell my bike... I get too emotionally attached. I still have the frame and all the parts to my first real mtb laying around (the original cannondale jekyll.. hence the name).

I probably need to get rid of it while it still has some value so I can build up an actual DH bike and then fix my old reign back up for xc. I just don't ride often enough to warrant it, which needs to change.