Quantcast

Windrock Between Christmas and New Years?

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Hey guys! Long time no see!

I'm thinking about bringing some bikes down when we come into town for the Holidays. Would anyone be interested in riding any day around the 26th-29th or even the 24th? I already have New Years Eve plans so that's a no-go, but I would love to ride while I'm there. There are two of us and we will chip in for gas for a shuttle.

I know there's a group going this weekend, but we aren't getting there until the 22nd.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Maybe we should bring our skis instead of our bikes???

It's going to set us back a few bills to get everything down there and back... Other than Doug who's always in, who else? Don't make me jump on Facebook and taunt you a second time.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I might be down for that. I have never been to Windrock. I have heard they can be picky about the types of bikes they allow in (length of travel mainly). Is this true? If so, I have a felt redemption which has ~ 6.5" of travel and a domain in the front with 6". I also have all of the gear, full face and full body armor. Would this work? My sister and brother-in-law would be interested as well. They both also have 6" travel bikes and are fully kitted with protection.

Matt

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
If the trip this Sunday falls through, I'd definitely be interested in coming down if I could find someone from Ohio to split the gas with me.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Ha.
I witnessed nuttypoolog shred down Windrock on a slalom bike with one brake.:rofl:
Just bring what you got.

Mike, I am not going to be up the way unitil New Years Eve. :think:
Cool. I'm not worried about how my bike and I can handle the terrain, more so that I didn't want to drive there and be turned down. Although not too technical of a trail, I rode down daniel's ridge with a front wheel tacoed so bad I couldn't use the front brake (v brakes at the time). But the tire did rub on the fork a little so I did get some braking action. :D Even beat some people to the bottom that we met at the top, they were going CCW to our CW.

Don't remember where I heard this about WR, maybe it was a different place I'm thinking about.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Previous management at Windrock used to turn people away for bikes, weather, seasons, etc.

New management = open 24/7/365 for anyone who buys a permit.

jager

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Sweeeeet. I'll see if my sister and b-in-l are interested. I think my b-in-l has to head up to CT on the 28th for the closing on their house, so he may be out if its after the 27th.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Ha.
I witnessed nuttypoolog shred down Windrock on a slalom bike with one brake.:rofl:
Just bring what you got.

Mike, I am not going to be up the way unitil New Years Eve. :think:
Oh booo... We have to fly back on the 3rd.

And the only reason I rode that bike was because I needed the points for the season. It wasn't all that bad. I'm looking forward to trying out a real bike there for sure!

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Bikes shipped out yesterday so we're committed. Need to pick a date. How about the 26th? Day after Christmas and a Sunday. There should be no excuses about having to work... If there are enough people (and a shuttle) we may get a hotel and stay for the 27th too.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I was hoping to maybe do a monday/tuesday type of thing. The day after Christmas might be tough for me.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Well, these plans are now up in the air for me. I separated my shoulder (level 3 AC separation) Saturday on a lame little dirt jump. I have an appointment tomorrow to see what I do next, but I can't imagine them giving me the okay to ride. Its all poppy and giggily... Can't really lift anything. I'm up for being a shuttle driver if I can talk Kyra into riding still. She is worried about riding something new with not having anyone she's familiar with to pace... Who all is in still? Any females? I want her to ride. I think she would love something different.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Dang that does suck man, separated shoulders are no fun. Heal up, but I don't think anyone would object to you driving shuttle all day... Just messing.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
What days are y'all looking to ride. The weather is looking pretty crappy for the Sunday after Christmas. A high of 35 and snow showers. :(

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I was originally thinking the Tuesday/Wednesday after Christmas, but it looks like they're wanting Sunday and Monday.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
The later the better. Whatever. The doc said if I feel like riding I can. I'll bring my bike up and see how it goes. Just let us know what days are best. We are back in the game!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You guys are absolutely nuts for wanting to do this. We locals don't ride in this time of year for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, Windrock is no fun half frozen and wet.

I give you guys 2 runs, tops. Mike might stick it out for a few more just because he really is crazy.

You guys are absolutely nuts for wanting to do this. We locals don't ride in this time of year for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, Windrock is no fun half frozen and wet.

I give you guys 2 runs, tops. Mike might stick it out for a few more just because he really is crazy.

Agreed.
No matter how much of a bad a$$ somebody is the conditions just suck at windrock over the winter. Its not a place for coming off an injury and the fun-factor will be low.
As much as i hate to discourage the desire to ride there please wait till early spring.
I used to live in the parking lot in a camper and ive done snowy runs and night runs in the winter with profro.
When its thats cold and your fork oil acts like 140w differtial oil it totally sucks....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Isn't Mike actually in the video of the race down the poop shoot at Windrock wrecking like the rest of us?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I'm surprised to hear that. I was there las winter two separate times and conditions were great! No snow or ice or anything.

However, we've got Rays indoor bike park 40 minutes from here so I can keep myself entertained if conditions are really as bad as you claim.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm surprised to hear that. I was there las winter two separate times and conditions were great! No snow or ice or anything.
Its a little hard to compare right now to two times last year. I'm talking about current conditions. The mtn has already had two snows with a third forecast for this weekend.

You guys can do anything you want, but I'm not excited about these conditions. But maybe I'm spoiled and way too picky.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC

However, we've got Rays indoor bike park 40 minutes from here so I can keep myself entertained if conditions are really as bad as you claim.
Just put your studded tires on and you'll be fine:thumb:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Haha, well as always, I appreciate the honesty. If it is that bad I suppose it ain't worth the drive.

I'll watch the weather and maybe try again in January.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Well, we are here and planning on it, even if you all are a bunch of sissies. As long as it isn't under snow, it's on. It'll be fun! It isn't THAT cold... And mud is fun! I guess it's all in your attitude. I'm looking forward to riding in the cold and wet. Yeah, sunny and 70 is nice, but it's fun to ride in different conditions. Plus I am itching badly to ride my DH bike. The mountains I'm CO have been closed for months.

If nobody is up for it that's fine. Is Carters lake open? I don't want to trash a trail...

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Well, we are here and planning on it, even if you all are a bunch of sissies. As long as it isn't under snow, it's on. It'll be fun! It isn't THAT cold... And mud is fun! I guess it's all in your attitude. I'm looking forward to riding in the cold and wet. Yeah, sunny and 70 is nice, but it's fun to ride in different conditions. Plus I am itching badly to ride my DH bike. The mountains I'm CO have been closed for months.

If nobody is up for it that's fine. Is Carters lake open? I don't want to trash a trail...
Isn't that cold:shocked: my camelback hose froze twice last night on a ride.
I'll ride& bring a shuttle truck " if " there's no snow! Post on here Saturday evening with a weather report, I'm 2 hours away and in the mountains so we'll get snow for sure.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
Isn't that cold:shocked: my camelback hose froze twice last night on a ride.
I'll ride& bring a shuttle truck " if " there's no snow! Post on here Saturday evening with a weather report, I'm 2 hours away and in the mountains so we'll get snow for sure.
You should ask for one of those insulated tube covers for the Holidays... :weee:

Would it be better to move this back to Wednesday??? The only reason I picked the beginning of the week is that I guessed it would be the most convenient. If everyone is off next week we could push it back. It would give my shoulder more time to recover so it would be better for me.

We have nothing to do all next week... Just let us know when.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
so can you ride windrock as all mountain I know that its designed for shuttled dh but is it worth going on a trip with an all mountain bike camping and climbing for the runs?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Sorry guys, ive gotten some bad news the last few days and probably can't make windrock. Hope you all have a good time and I'm hoping to make it in January depending on how You guys report the conditions this week.

As I said, have fun and let us know what the dealio is!

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
so can you ride windrock as all mountain I know that its designed for shuttled dh but is it worth going on a trip with an all mountain bike camping and climbing for the runs?
You can ride up trail 2 and then down the windmill trail on an Am bike. Its a pretty fun 1.5 hr loop.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
The campground loop is sick trailbike territory. There's a lot of other XCish stuff around too from what I understand. I wouldn't be crazy about riding most of the DH stuff on my trailbike...but if you're brave its possible.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
So how are the trails looking? We're thinking about coming up tomorrow. Who is in? is there snow on the trail? Will anyone be there with a truck???

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The campground loop is sick trailbike territory.
Poston and I have been working a lot up there this winter already and we have a loop completely finished. There are a few sections that still need benching and removal of the loamy carpet. But that trail is a blast to ride. 5" -6" bikes are a load of fun there.

:thumb: