Quantcast

Windrock Conditions

averbalkint

Chimp
Sep 30, 2008
North Conway
On a trip thru the south and hope to hit up Windrock sometime this week. It appears to be open all year, just wondering if the riding is still decent? Thanks for any info!

nate22

Chimp
Sep 8, 2011
East Tennessee
I haven't seen the trails but its rained a little bit in the area and there's most likely leaves covering the trails unless someone's been there recently.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
We have been getting a lot of rain. Even with full spikes you probably be on the deck a lot. I've ridden the mtn a lot in these conditions and its never fun. I usually quit after one or two runs. If you have xc bikes you can always ride the xc trails by the campground. They were built by the same guys who built the DH trails.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The only race we've ever done in the rain there was sheer madness. I kinda would like to try to ride the place in a good muddy mess, but the smart part of me would choose to stay home. Would love to hit Southern Rocks in the pouring rain just once though.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
It is really wet there since the rain has not been letting off for more than a day or so at a time. Otherwise the trails are in good condition for the most part. No trees are down of recently. There are a couple boards broken on the the rock to wood towards the beginning of the trail, and the Intimidator (the drop with a #3 license plate on it) needs a bit of work but is stable at the moment.

I will be going out there to do some trail maintenance here soon. Hopefully some day that is nice this week/weekend.

-Brett

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Yeah, skip the big rock drop near the top of trail 1, somebody busted through the lander and left a hole in it. There is a large tree down toward the bottom of Southern Rocks, after the creek crossing. Wasn't hard to get underneath though, as I was already laying on the ground. Slick Slick Slick....but fun!

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
We have gotten serious amounts of rain this winter and as much as 2" yesterday. Be for warned the mountain is going to be really muddy and wet for awhile.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
yeah, its soupy up there, it seems like as soon as it looks like its gonna start to dry it rains enough to mud it up again.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
We had plans to ride but its falling apart like a cheap suit, Rain & I-40 west bound rock slide has dampened
the ride.Might still be some locals riding:confused:

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
I'll be there, I dont drive a truck though so cant help too much with shuttle. Should have some of the bridge issues cleared up too.