Quantcast

Windrock December 18th/19th

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Hey south riders! The Ohio crew is planning a trip to Windrock on December 18th and/or 19th (weather pending). I'll have just finished up grad school finals and looking for a break (unfortunately we've already got snow on the ground up here).

We've got somewhere between 3 and 7 people coming hopefully. Would always be great to see some locals and get to ride with those of you who really know the trails. Haven't been there since April and man do I miss the windmill trail.

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
Id come out. I havent been to windrock since the fall fest and need to get at least one more day in this year.

Dec 6, 2010
Columbia, SC
That sound like a good size group, I'm down. I moved to SC from Colorado 3 months ago and haven't done any riding yet. Big change from shreddin' every day! Need to meet some rider in the area to plan some trips.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Any of you guys locals? How is the weather down there right now? We've gotten slammed with snow up here, enough to make me worry Windrock might have snow as well.

Also, if we have that big of a group, someone's gonna have to bring a trailer or something. We'll at least have a truck, but we can't bring our trailer down again. It costs us too much in gas to drive it all the way down from Ohio.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
We can unfortunately probably only do one day. It's a bit to early to tell but right now the weather looks better for Saturday. I'll have to update this as we decide, but our only worry is there is a ton of rain that's supposed to hit that area on Thursday and Friday. It's been so long since I downhilled I wouldn't even mind riding in some mud, but it just depends on what the other guys want to do. I'll also be keeping an eye out on snow in the area, riding in that stuff is no fun-we tried it at a local trail here last year and I can't see driving 6 hours to ride like that again, haha.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
We can unfortunately probably only do one day. It's a bit to early to tell but right now the weather looks better for Saturday. I'll have to update this as we decide, but our only worry is there is a ton of rain that's supposed to hit that area on Thursday and Friday. It's been so long since I downhilled I wouldn't even mind riding in some mud, but it just depends on what the other guys want to do. I'll also be keeping an eye out on snow in the area, riding in that stuff is no fun-we tried it at a local trail here last year and I can't see driving 6 hours to ride like that again, haha.
I've never seen it muddy, seems like all the water runs off.I'm gonna scope it out tomorrow and I'll report back with trail conditions:thumb: I'm wondering if there's any snow left in the shadows/shade.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Awesome, let me know. I rode there last year on January 16th and it was bone dry except for one spot up on the windmill trail. I talked to the one ohio guy who has a Tacoma and he wants to probably go even if it's wet and I think we've got a guy coming from Cleveland area as well.

Like I said before, we'll be watching the weather throughout the week and hopefully we'll have a decisions made by mid-week or so.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
The trails were in great shape and the weather was perfect- today. We got in about 12 to 15 runs and the leafs seem to be bedding in nicely.If we can be so lucky next weekend.

I did come up on two motocycle riders that turned in off of the paved road and rode around to where the trail splits into 3 and there's a pile of lumber, they sat there for a second and we came down the trail and they turned and left. I didn't think they could get in there so easily, but at least they seemed to realize they were on the wrong trail.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Either Coal Creek or the Gas company took the gate down and we have been getting more and more traffic back there. I think we'll be coming up with some post and cable very soon.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Either Coal Creek or the Gas company took the gate down and we have been getting more and more traffic back there. I think we'll be coming up with some post and cable very soon.
Oh good cause I was ready to get off my bike:think: I would have said " Hey you get that moto outta here" But with a really loud voice and probably shaking my finger and it would have scared them for sure:rofl:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Sucks to hear about stuff like that. I'm trying to convince the guys to do a 2-day trip and if we do, let me know if you'd want help putting up some anti-moto entrance device like at the top of Startin' Sh%t! We've been there like half a dozen times so if we've got the time to contribute to the trails somehow, we'd be happy to help out.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thanks guys. I think we are going to organize an official work day in late February. That's a good time to clear downfall, work with dirt and stuff like entrance control. I can think of two places we need post and cable in place.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
What's up everyone!? I can't make it this weekend, but my lady and I are going to be in town over the Holiday break and I was thinking about shipping our DH bikes down. Anyone going to be around for shuttling the week between Christmas and New Years? It has been a loooong time. Too long.

Dec 6, 2010
Columbia, SC
Hoping for a good weather report by mid week. As far as a trailer to accommodate riders, I have a shuttle truck set up to hold 10 plus riders with bikes, so I think we’ll be all set there.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
What's up everyone!? I can't make it this weekend, but my lady and I are going to be in town over the Holiday break and I was thinking about shipping our DH bikes down. Anyone going to be around for shuttling the week between Christmas and New Years? It has been a loooong time. Too long.

For you... Anything.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Hoping for a good weather report by mid week. As far as a trailer to accommodate riders, I have a shuttle truck set up to hold 10 plus riders with bikes, so I think we’ll be all set there.
You talking about this weekend? Right now it's a bit tough to say but I'm thinking Sunday might be better since it looks like there will be enough sun between friday and saturday to dry out the ground some. I will admit it's gonna be a damn cold one though. Let's hope that high temp climbs some more, else I'm gonna have to dig out the long johns!

Dec 6, 2010
Columbia, SC
You talking about this weekend? Right now it's a bit tough to say but I'm thinking Sunday might be better since it looks like there will be enough sun between friday and saturday to dry out the ground some. I will admit it's gonna be a damn cold one though. Let's hope that high temp climbs some more, else I'm gonna have to dig out the long johns!
Yeah man, this weekend. Sun the 19th. I'll keep checking on everyones status. As long as everyone is down with the cold weather, I'll be there Sun.

Kevin

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I would expect snow in the shady areas still by Sunday. I go my first view of the mtn today since the clouds lifted and its covered. OS got almost 4" of snow, so I'd say Windrock got at least 6"+. I was just east on Sunday before the snow fall and there was still 4" or so above 1500ft.

I think best bet is that it stays frozen. If it thaws it will be soggy. :(

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for the update Doug. I'm still hopeful that today's sun and the warm rain over the next few days will melt a lot of it off, at least on the lower trails. Maybe someone local could see how things look there Friday or early Saturday and let us know? I certainly would appreciate knowing if it's not worth the drive.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I saw that, but they're also calling for highs in the upper forties those days, so I don't know what to make of that...

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Well one of the guys from here apparently already booked a hotel room down there Saturday night, so I guess we're on regardless of freezing cold weather. We may consider riding Saturday as well, though that's not for sure.

If we get there Saturday and there's still snow down, we'll probably have people walk through and "broom" the trails like we do at the local ones. We could at least clear a few options so people have stuff to ride Sunday.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Keep in mind that we leave the leaves on during the winter for a reason. It replenishes dirt to the trails and protects them from erosion and run off. We have learned a few things over the years.

Dec 6, 2010
Columbia, SC
Well one of the guys from here apparently already booked a hotel room down there Saturday night, so I guess we're on regardless of freezing cold weather. We may consider riding Saturday as well, though that's not for sure.

If we get there Saturday and there's still snow down, we'll probably have people walk through and "broom" the trails like we do at the local ones. We could at least clear a few options so people have stuff to ride Sunday.
What's the poop on the hotel Sat night? I have a 5 hour drive so would get there Sat night as well, would be cool to pitch in on floor space or get a room at same place and drink some beers!

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
We now have a coating of ice on top of the snow still on the ground from Monday. It’s supposed to rain most of the day today and again on Saturday. I like to be optimistic but I would say this may be some of the worst riding conditions of the year this weekend.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks for the honesty Doug. I just looked at some of the city of oak ridge's web cams and the ground looks saturated. Guess it's Time to throw in the towel and try again in a week or two maybe. Sucks when you get this close to riding and have to call it off, but As a major trail maintenance guy at our local trails, I can't stand people riding in horrible conditions and leaving us with all the cleanup.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can slide around in the leaves and mud all you guys want. I don't think you'll harm the trails. You may harm yourself or your bike, but its just not fun to ride Windrock in these conditions. It can be done during the summer, but even then it gets too nervous and sketchy to have fun.

Up until last winter, we used to rider all year long and it was great. But last year we had an usually cold and wet winter. It looks like this year is going to be the same. :(

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
I talked to one of the other guys who was gonna go this weekend and he seemed interested in going maybe Tuesday and Wednesday after Christmas. Know what days you guys will be there yet?

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I talked to one of the other guys who was gonna go this weekend and he seemed interested in going maybe Tuesday and Wednesday after Christmas. Know what days you guys will be there yet?
Are there still some guys that came down and are riding today and tomorrow??

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Not that I'm aware of. I think We're just gonna wait until after Christmas. Weather looks much dryer there next week.