Quantcast

windrock friday the 16th?

Jun 12, 2006
anybody interested in going to windrock on friday the 16th? ill be there sat and sunday riding with someone im meeting, but i thought id come up early and ride friday, but ill be myself. anybody game?

Jun 12, 2006
cool, ill be up there with my brother. hows the crowd on the weekend? anyone ever stay past sunday, ive just got a lot of time on my hands cause I's got's no job right now, so i said to my self "why not spend every possible second i can downhilling". anyway, ill be on a red mountain cycle , see ya soon

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
saturdays can be a madhouse up there. not from the d.h. crowd, but from all the o.h.v. traffic flying up and down the shuttleroad.

sundays haven't been too bad lately.
gas prices have put a crimp in activity up there this past few months.

either way we need to get back in the habit of the shuttle trucks spotting the first road crossing as we drop in. and don't expect anybody to ever yield for you up there. as we are the cross traffic.

and i'm also going to be making a set-up to padlock the barricade at the first jump.
too many people have the ability to remove it to ride, but not the desire to stop and put it back when their session is finished.
this will now start being locked during the weekdays untill the few that will have keys will be there to unlock it. and it'll be locked down when we leave.

as dry as it is right now, if motorcycles get in there and tear up the jumps. they'll be unrepairable untill the fall when it rains on a more regular basis.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
longduckdongdh said:
cool, ill be up there with my brother. hows the crowd on the weekend? anyone ever stay past sunday, ive just got a lot of time on my hands cause I's got's no job right now, so i said to my self "why not spend every possible second i can downhilling". anyway, ill be on a red mountain cycle , see ya soon

Sounds good, but don't show up without a shuttle. If there's room in a local truck throw some money down; "cash rules everything around here, dolla-dolla bills yall, cream, get the money."

Look forward to meeting you Sunday. I've got the rock eating dog.

Jun 12, 2006
im bringing my truck, it can hold5 or 6 bikes. when are the trails going to be locked? i thought they were open all the time, anyway, i dont want to drive 6 hours to find out the trails are closed, so can you plese post when you will be locking them, thanks. spoke, your bringing your dog? thats awesome, maybe i should bring mine, hes real friendly and loves to follow bikes, is that an ok thing to do before i bring him? just want to make sure thanks, ldd

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
longduckdongdh said:
im bringing my truck, it can hold5 or 6 bikes. when are the trails going to be locked? i thought they were open all the time, anyway, i dont want to drive 6 hours to find out the trails are closed, so can you plese post when you will be locking them, thanks. spoke, your bringing your dog? thats awesome, maybe i should bring mine, hes real friendly and loves to follow bikes, is that an ok thing to do before i bring him? just want to make sure thanks, ldd
Chili (my dog) mostly kicks in the truck due to the severity if the trails and the speed. I'd hate myself if she broke her leg of something on while following me so she mostly herds rocks. When she was younger and I was slower she woudl follow me all the time. Dogs are cool.

Joey needs to explain the lock thing as that is his domain.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The trails are only "closed" during the winter months. I suspect that if the barricade is up and locked then just push your bike around it. No big deal.

Jun 12, 2006
does anybody know a cheap place to saty that isnt as ghettho as the local super 8, i stayed there last time(my first time at wr) and it was awfull. anymonkies have an extra room for cash or anything. suggestions........

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
The trails are only "closed" during the winter months. I suspect that if the barricade is up and locked then just push your bike around it. No big deal.
yeah, i guess i should have been a little clearer on that.

it's just the barricade at the first jump that leads off a dirt road and into our trail system.
it's only purpose is to keep the motorcycles and a.t.v.'s off our trails.
locking it down will only mean you'll have to get off and lift your bike over it and continue on. the d.h. trails will still be open and rideable.
the trail quickly will allow you to gather up enough speed to hit the next set of jumps.

nobodyuno

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Asheville
Coming up from Asheville with my brother to ride this weekend. I've only ridden windrock twice and I was hoping someone could show us all of the trails. See ya this weekend!!!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I could def make it up Friday if there is gonna be anyone to ride with. My car's got a flat and I can't load but one bike in my mom's car so I'd need someone to shuttle with but i'd have cash to throw down. If anyone wants to ride and maybe to some shooting i'd love to. I have yet to see any really sweet pictures from the place so it's gonna be my obligation. Also I've got plenty of shovels to go around so if there's anything that needs to be done i'm always glad to help build stuff.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
T-Pirate said:
I could def make it up Friday if there is gonna be anyone to ride with. My car's got a flat and I can't load but one bike in my mom's car so I'd need someone to shuttle with but i'd have cash to throw down. If anyone wants to ride and maybe to some shooting i'd love to. I have yet to see any really sweet pictures from the place so it's gonna be my obligation. Also I've got plenty of shovels to go around so if there's anything that needs to be done i'm always glad to help build stuff.
appreciate the offer of help.
but it's way to dry to be moving any dirt.
all we do this time of year is keep the brush trimmed back.

besides, the place is already built.
all you need is your bike.

and you'll soon find out why you don't see many pictures of this place. except for the same old upper rockgarden and waterfall shots.
they place is tough as crap to walk down.
and there's so many trails, that the one you're hikng down may not be the one that we're hitting on that particular run, if at all that day.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
T-Pirate said:
I wouldn't mind having you show me a thing or two on the camera. I need some help. :teacher:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
I wouldn't mind having you show me a thing or two on the camera. I need some help. :teacher:
and being immortalized on film with T-Pirate's stylish shots doesn't hurt either. :thumb:

If Doug becomes a photog...who's gonna show people around the place?:oink:

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
profro said:
Give me a time to come up and I'd love to ride and shoot with ya'll, I don't get to shoot with real fast guys on DH bikes hardly ever, basically just races. I don't have any upper armor, i've been told to pick some up before I ride there, but my budget's really not gonna allow that.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Sundays are always a bet. Thats when the locals hit it. This Sunday is good, the following is not. Several of us will be off to the Snowshoe race.

I don't wear upper body armor, but I do have a few lines memorized. If you can't afford uppers right away you can get by with at least elbow pads. Just don't race run it without lots of armor.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
BTW, give Jeremy a call and convince him to get up here this Sunday. Carpool.....
ooohhh.....dammit. I wish the wife would have mercy on me. But I have been gone 8out of the last 21 days at the Open and Sugar and my kids aren't liking it...neither is my bank account.

I've never been able to corrupt Jeremy with riding. No corruption needed. The phone call goes like this:
Butch: "Jeremy...lets ride Windrock Saturday"
Jeremy: "OK."

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
T-Pirate said:

David and I may go up early Sat. and have plenty of room in his Mega Cab truck and can put 6 to 8 bikes in the back. I don’t think there will be a problem in shuttling a few of you around up there, if you can help with the gas. T-P let me know if you can go Sat. and want to ride up with us?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Knoxvillain said:
What time is everyone shooting for on Friday? I may try and get a few runs in time permitting.
jeff.
it doesn't sound like friday's a go.

saturday and sunday sound pretty busy though.
get yer butt out there and continue on that good roll you started last weekend.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
T-Pirate said:
I'm thinking saturday might be a go for me. I'll bring some bills for whoever has a truck if you don't mind me hopping in.
David just told me he can't make it up Saturday. We thought we would be able to go. He has to be somewhere at 3pm, so it looks like we will both be going up to Greens Lick Sat around 8 am. I would on Sun, but that is the only full day of the week the wife and I have togther. With the baby on the way we have get the house finished. If you want to go to Greens Lick with us, let me know. Going to Snowshoe again next weekend, so we will get our Big Bike fix on then.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
yeah, like he can handle two days in a row.:)
Hardy, har, har! But now come to think of it there's no BMX racing on Saturday and I really don't have anything else to do. Both days wouldn't hurt.....and if I get up there early it won't be like the seventh level of hell. Oh, and then I can go out on the lake.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Hardy, har, har! But now come to think of it there's no BMX racing on Saturday and I really don't have anything else to do. Both days wouldn't hurt.....and if I get up there early it won't be like the seventh level of hell. Oh, and then I can go out on the lake.
lakemonkey.:cool:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
B.T.W.
i'll be shuttle bitchin this weekend,
so ya'll can cram a bunch of runs in and split before it gets too hot.