Quantcast

Windrock May 1st

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Easter weekend is no good for me, plus TTC has a race the 23rd. But...
May 1st there is a few of us riding WR.
Lets get another crowd there :D

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Good to finally meet you Randy!

I think Brook (the guy with the Morewood) wants to come, so for now, count us in. We'll be newbs at Windrock!

Jay

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Loo, the drive (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it). Besides, not sure my skillset is what it needs to be for Windrock just yet. I guess we will find out. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Loo, the drive (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it). Besides, not sure my skillset is what it needs to be for Windrock just yet. I guess we will find out. :)
I say just cut yourself in the parking lot and let a few drops soak into the soil before you do your first run. I think the mountain requires a blood sacrifice first visit. If you don't, it will take it for you. ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll have the finish to the Old Windmill done by then. Additionally, Brian Poston was up there yesterday and buffed out Windmills v2 and v3. We have a small reroute on v2 to do.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
No offense but sometimes you guys over do the windrock reputation a bit with implying certain death and all.
Its been done on hardtails, short squish and even a 29r..
Not that i would just saying
I gotta agree, while it is pretty gnarly and technical it's not death defying. I've never ridden anything with over 160mm of travel there and I'm able to keep up with most people without feeling like I'm riding over my head or what my bike can handle.

Granted after the last trip I do have to get a new helmet after some jagged rock on middle finger left a nicely sized dent in my Giro... but that's beside the point :D.

I'll try to make it back down on the 1st... might even drag my moto behind the ole' Volkswagen if Doug and whoever else don't mind riding with a slowpoke.

and forgive my confusion, but which windmill is what?

and forgive my confusion, but which windmill is what?

:rofl: Thats a good one.
Basically there is old (right at the split after point drop) and new (left at the split) .
Now, when you go left and ride "new" it gets confusing b/c there is 3-4 variations that have come and gone over time. Sometimes old variations become cool again and might get leaf blown and next time you might pass it up.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
:rofl: Thats a good one.
Basically there is old (right at the split after point drop) and new (left at the split) .
Now, when you go left and ride "new" it gets confusing b/c there is 3-4 variations that have come and gone over time. Sometimes old variations become cool again and might get leaf blown and next time you might pass it up.
Another layer of confusion is added now that Old has been renewed :rofl:.

I know which is old and new, I guess I don't know all the variations on new.

Apr 18, 2011
Crossville Tennessee
hey guys im a category 1 dh racer and i live right down the road from wind rock. i have pretty much just recently gotten into big racing but iv only been to wind rock once and didnt find it all that bad. actually kinda fun. but walking all the way to the top was hell. id be greatly appreciative if i could link up with any group going there any time who could possibly help me out with a ride to the top.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I know which is old and new, I guess I don't know all the variations on new.
More than likely you are riding v3 most of the time. The locals for sure know how to find all of v2.

v2 has the nasty steep, rocky section at the top, has the step on step off, and has the wood drop over the tree. You can cross back and forth but by judging the tracks, most folks ride v3.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Loo, are you going? BTW, I can't remember if I ever said thank you for the help with the Avalance stuff, but, THANK YOU! The bike's not 100% done, but compared to other Boxxers I felt, it's awesome!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
No offense but sometimes you guys over do the windrock reputation a bit with implying certain death and all.
I used to tell Ben I'd take my hardtail down Trail 1 to prove it could be done. He said, "Oh, you might could do it. But it wouldn't be any fun.";)

And the blood letting thing was a joke. I just know that the only time I ever wore a brand new helmet there, something evil grabbed my front wheel and scratched that shiny thing up for me....first run!:D

Loo, are you going? BTW, I can't remember if I ever said thank you for the help with the Avalance stuff, but, THANK YOU! The bike's not 100% done, but compared to other Boxxers I felt, it's awesome!
No bro im down in Tampa hiding out for a minute nursing a hand that i broke twice since january...:rant: , its a long story:rolleyes:
This year i wont be up till memorial day weekend which is very unusual but it is what it is.
Internet mtb is getting old already

alright alright loo thank you for all the info. and i will be at ttc this weekend. who else is going? 931-787-4475 text me if you wanna meet up and ride. my name is andrew.

Call buddy as he has been wanting to go but im not sure if his new frame came in yet.
I think doug (profro). joey bag of donuts and a few other guys from konoxville are going

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Got some help from Alex and we finished up the last section of the Old Windmill. Its just a cool feature to cap off that trail. Its a bit ballzy or at least seems so. The elevation drop from that bridge over the rock to the end of the run out is crazy. Its steep, just like it should be.

I'll be doing the Jeep trailfest on Saturday the 30th, but I'll probably be out there on Sunday the 1st to ride.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Got some help from Alex and we finished up the last section of the Old Windmill. Its just a cool feature to cap off that trail. Its a bit ballzy or at least seems so. The elevation drop from that bridge over the rock to the end of the run out is crazy. Its steep, just like it should be.

I'll be doing the Jeep trailfest on Saturday the 30th, but I'll probably be out there on Sunday the 1st to ride.
Whoa:eek: if you say its steep and ballzy its got to be good:thumb:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Im glad you ended up doing it that way. It should work pretty well, have you tried it yet?

Trying to make it out again soon.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I'd say it's all relative! Windrock is not as impossible to enjoy without leaving destroyed. Even your first time, just have good brakes and stay within control and don't go trying to jump gaps that you never take a look at first. Everyone I have ever ridden with there is super cool about showing folks around and giving some warning to gnarly spots ahead. I had started to think that Windrock wasn't all that gnar but, yep it can check yo ass! So always respect the WR trails. Don't try and overdo it and don't try to underdo it (overbrake) just relax, stay in control and flow with the speed of the trail. The trail is designed well to that flow. I like to keep in mind that if I start hauling ass that means there is a turn or obstacle ahead that I want to keep it in check and that seems to work well. Hopefully I will be up for the ride on Saturday with some of my bros.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I'll be taking it easy until I get to know the trails and where the obstacles are. I wasn't thinking of hitting any of the gaps the first time out unless they are small. No sense in being over confident out of the gate and ending up, well you know.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Anyone figured out if there will be a showing Saturday? Not sure if I have anyone to ride/shuttle with now so just trying to get a read on if I will still come up to ride?
Chucky

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think some locals are going to hit up a shuttle with the following profile on Sunday afternoon. We can drive almost all the way to the top. Anyone who wants to join that would be awesome. Its not really big bike friendly as there is some traversing and climbing. But its a bad a$$ run.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I think some locals are going to hit up a shuttle with the following profile on Sunday afternoon. We can drive almost all the way to the top. Anyone who wants to join that would be awesome. Its not really big bike friendly as there is some traversing and climbing. But its a bad a$$ run.

thinking of changing the "honey do" list to Saturday and coming Sunday now

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Two different times I thought I was going to have to kill someone and leave the body behind on this route. Its steep and raw. If you are looking for the "berm" or "flow" trail this is not it.