Quantcast

Windrock Questions/directions

Stopping at Windrock on the way home from Colorado. Never been there and other then heading into Oliver Springs, I have no idea where I'm going. Some idea of how to get to the trails would be much appreciated. Are the trails marked well? Don't I need to buy a pass too? Thanks for the help guys.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock as you know it is actually Coal Creek's OHV located at the end of Windrock Rd, which is off TN 62 in downtown Oliver Springs. You do need a pass. You can buy them in the parking lot. There are signs. The lower mtn trails start near the intersection of P1 and trail 24. There is a map in the parking lot for you to look at. The trails are marked, but generally just go down hill. The windmill trail is reopened from the top and its very hard to give directions. When will you be going through and do you have a shuttle? I could maybe come out and show you around. Wednesday would perfect.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Once and for all, the old, original upper windmill is gone. That part of the mtn doesn't exist anymore. Literally, its not there.

Last year's re-route is the upper windmill now.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Oh well...was fun while it lasted I suppose.

Your answer should have been "bitch - why don't you quit being a pussy and come over here to find out."

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, you missed a super session for sure. I guess it was locals only all weekend. Great dirt and 65 degrees at the top. Incredible for this time of year.

Windrock as you know it is actually Coal Creek's OHV located at the end of Windrock Rd, which is off TN 62 in downtown Oliver Springs. You do need a pass. You can buy them in the parking lot. There are signs. The lower mtn trails start near the intersection of P1 and trail 24. There is a map in the parking lot for you to look at. The trails are marked, but generally just go down hill. The windmill trail is reopened from the top and its very hard to give directions. When will you be going through and do you have a shuttle? I could maybe come out and show you around. Wednesday would perfect.
Thanks for the offer to show me around Doug. I'll definetly take you up on it another time. We were only here in town today so I rode at Windrock today for a couple hours. Wife drove shuttle. You guys have done a great job here, I really loved the trails. Very high pucker factor going on for me, but tons of fun too. Hitting Wilson's tomorrow on the way home as I still have a shuttle driver who is willing :D

I'll try and give you some more notice next time I can make it out this way, which is going to be soon now that I have had a taste of it.

Here is a link (cross post from ride report thread) for anyone who wants to see the ride report I have been doing for our roadtrip to Colorao over the last two weeks:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3265613&posted=1#post3265613

I had as much fun, maybe even more fun at Windrock as anywhere I went in Colorado.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Cool, did you manage to find the Windmill trail all the way from the top?

You should try and hit up the fall festival. I'm shooting for Halloween weekend.

No, I didn't hit the windmill trail from the top. Not sure what trail I was on, but it started with some others part way up the mountain. Cecil gave me some guidance on how to get on a couple trails and I stayed to the left side from where the trails started. Halloween sounds great, but the wife is due the first week of November so that won't work for me. Besides, I don't think I can wait that long. Going to try and get back here in August and maybe again in September.

I'd like to talk a couple of people into doing a Dirty bird race to Diablo to Snowshoe to Windrock week long trip in late August, but we'll see.

J.b.

Chimp
Jul 21, 2009
I'm gonna be in East Tennessee next week with a buddy of mine and wanted to hit up the trails. Is there a better time/day to go, or is anyone on here going to be out there at all during the week of July 27-31. It'd be nice to know where we were going. We also won't have a shuttle :(

russellroo

Chimp
Jul 21, 2009
Hey you guys intrested in showing a newbie around around Wednesday. Newbie as in just got a DH bike and am wanting to learn. If so when and where?

Hey you guys intrested in showing a newbie around around Wednesday. Newbie as in just got a DH bike and am wanting to learn. If so when and where?
If you are new to DH and don't have some other background that you are a stud in (like motocross or BMX preferably) then I'd think twice about Windrock being your first experience. It is not the place to learn. I could see getting really hurt there if you don't know what your doing.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
It is not the place to learn. I could see getting really hurt there if you don't know what your doing.
Just ask a local to show you around, take it slow, and focus on having fun. Even seasoned shredders get their salad tossed up here but that's part of the game.

russellroo

Chimp
Jul 21, 2009
Well either way looks like its gonna be wet today, I think I am gonna just go play at Norris. Thanks for the advise guys and we'll be seeing you out there.