Quantcast

Windrock Shuttle Available 5/6 and 5/7?

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright the time is almost here to make the 8hr trip from DC to Windrock. We will be there riding on 5/6 and 5/7. Does anybody know if a shuttle will be available on those days? We heard there was a guy who charged $2 per ride. We have a pickup truck we can bring to do our own shuttle, but we may not bring it if we can get a shuttle there so we can save money on gas.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You better bring your own. The crowds have been very thin lately, so there have not been a lot of folks to shuttle with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
oldskoolbiker said:
Alright the time is almost here to make the 8hr trip from DC to Windrock. We will be there riding on 5/6 and 5/7. Does anybody know if a shuttle will be available on those days? We heard there was a guy who charged $2 per ride. We have a pickup truck we can bring to do our own shuttle, but we may not bring it if we can get a shuttle there so we can save money on gas.
I'm not a local but I know all those guys. I have a feeling you should bring your own vehicle. They've been up and running for several weeks now and the "volunteer" mentality of using their cars to tour newbies around I think is fading a little as time goes on.

Gas prices aren't helping their generosity, I'm sure.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
We were planning to bring the truck. But a quick calculation shows it's going to cost $200 in gas for the truck for the trip.

I saw in a previous post that there was a guy who was there on the weekends who charged like $2 per ride in the shuttle. I was just wondering if this was still available.

We certainly are not looking for "volunteers" to tour us "newbies" around in their car and I don't want to come off like that.

Sounds like we should bring the truck. And certainly anybody is welcome to shuttle with us when we are there. Especially since we need someone to show us where to go.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
oh..I'm not hatin'. I understand where you're coming from. I just wanted to squash the dream of anybody thinking they'd show up and pity party their way into my spot on Doug's truck :devil:

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
i'm throwing in gas money too, as well as moral support and comic relief. seriously, what more do we need?

so are there any maps of the trails or is it quite literally a case of needing an experienced rider to take you around? i was looking at topographical maps last night of windrock mountain but i'm not exactly sure where the trails are in relation to windrock road.

either way we'll be there and i'll bring beer. pity doesn't work for sh*t, but beer is the universal currency.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
I ran across this map on these boards sometime back and saved it. I think as long as you pay attention for all options off of the trails you can find most of the trails pretty good. If it's your first time Id say some sort of guide or asking someone that actually knows there way around would be a good help.

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
look in to renting a uhaul down there, thats what we do, its cheaper than driving a truck down. they make a perfect shuttle and your wearing out there brakes and truck not yours.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the deal about shuttling at the rock goes like this.

for years we've been up here riding before anyone knew what we've got. usually just enough to fill up a small truck.(2-3)
so the trucks we're using up here are all small four bangers with a three bike limit because of weight.

the only full size truck we've got up here is dougs.
but now our small local group has grown. and his truck has been working overtime this season. so now even our locals are splitting up into two trucks.

it's not that we don't want to take people up the mt.(and if there's room for one more in any truck, we'll fill that slot.) it's that we're not set up to provide a shuttle service.
this is a very self sufficient trail system here. that's just the way it is.

maybe in the future i can get something going. but for now this place is a $$$ pit for me. and i don't have the resources to purchase a designated shuttle vehicle.

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
Uhaul prices aren't so bad, but that $.80/mile thing is a killer. Anyone know what sort of mileage we're looking at putting on the thing for a leisurely day of riding (we're not fast per se, and we tend to session stuff) for about 6 hours?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
where are those Michigan guys??? They rent a uhauls everytime they come down.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
spoke80 said:
where are those Michigan guys??? They rent a uhauls everytime they come down.
Mich guy here...... The U-Haul thing is very cool for a couple of reasons. No wear and tear on you're own truck, and it fits ALOT of people. But really for it to be cost effetive... you need about 15-20 people. I think it cost us about 75 to 100 bucks in mileage alone. Then add 24 for the truck rental and then about 40 for gas. Now keep in mind we used it for 2 days and drove it to the hotel and back.
Really you're best bet is 4 guys and you're own truck.- JM

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
We're still working out our final plans. Either bring our own truck, or rent a pickup truck when we get there. A pickup truck rental for 2 days with unlimited mileage is $120. Right now there is a small chance the guy with the pickup either can't come or will have to leave early. His grandmother died a few days ago and he had to take off work for the funeral. Now he doesn't want to miss more work for the WR trip.