Quantcast

Windrock Video

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Where's Wind Rock? NC? Cause I'm probably moving to NC next fall because of a job transfer. Is this stuff open to ride year round? Actually, is this a legal trail? We have some stuff like that around here in Santa Cruz, but none of it's legal.

Whats wrong with riding a hardtail there? I ride my hardtail on stuff like that all the time.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Where's Wind Rock? NC? Cause I'm probably moving to NC next fall because of a job transfer. Is this stuff open to ride year round? Actually, is this a legal trail? We have some stuff like that around here in Santa Cruz, but none of it's legal.

Whats wrong with riding a hardtail there? I ride my hardtail on stuff like that all the time.
Yes, its legal and its awesome. It shuts down for a short time in the winter, but that is mainly for building new trails and to keep from damaging old ones.
But Windrock is NO PLACE for a hardtail period, in any way shape or form. You might as well just rent a jackhammer and hold it all day.
That video was cool, but it shows nothing of how steep and rough windrock is all the way down. I am not talking about a skill standpoint here with hardtails, I am talking about both safety and enjoyment. I have known some good riders who have tried it before and they all leave after a run.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yes, its legal and its awesome. It shuts down for a short time in the winter, but that is mainly for building new trails and to keep from damaging old ones.
But Windrock is NO PLACE for a hardtail period, in any way shape or form. You might as well just rent a jackhammer and hold it all day.
That video was cool, but it shows nothing of how steep and rough windrock is all the way down. I am not talking about a skill standpoint here with hardtails, I am talking about both safety and enjoyment. I have known some good riders who have tried it before and they all leave after a run.
Blah! Whatever, I didnt really wanna go anyway:disgust1:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Blah! Whatever, I didnt really wanna go anyway:disgust1:
My post may have come off negative, I did not mean for it to,
but it does suck when somebody drives 4 hours to a sick place to ride, and then realizes it ain't happening. My buddy Matt Griffin rips his hardtail down any trail in Pisgah constantly, but if you ask him if he would take a single run down Windrock on it, he would laugh and say, that place is hard enough to get down on a full blown dh rig.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Well this is the first negative to arise from selling my fully and gettin an Imperial, But oh well Ill still take my evil over most fullys. At least now i have an excuse to save up and build a bottlerocket.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I've seen some folks try hardtails and it ain't pretty. Like JeremyR said, its possible, but its real ugly and not enjoyable.

Edit:

I just watched it and that video cut out over half of the trail (Snakerock).

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
my hero.

mattmtb

Chimp
Jun 9, 2005
I made that video and I'm glad you guys like it. I have the other 5min somewhere. I left it out because I would of had to play that song twice to work with the runs at Windrock.

For some reason when I go to the link the video hardly plays, I might have to upload it again.

Anyway Windrock rules and if you go give Joey and all the other locals a pat on the back. I've had a lot of fun on those trails.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ohh most def. those guys have busted there asses on those trails and it deffinatly shows. ive only gotten three runs in up there but for those three runs i was in shock and that is deffinatly a great thing.

I sn't that most of the old pro course? I've ridden most of that very slowly and had a really hard time with it. Heck I think the last race up there I got on the wrong trail and did the really long downhill rock garden. The one that's like at 45 degrees and 150yds long.
It's really good to see some of the local stuff up on video

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Thanks man, that would be awesome.
it's not that you won't be able to negotiate a heavy duty hardtail on the trails.

it's just a safety deal.
you'll be doing ten m.p.h. in sections where we'll be blowing up behind you doing thirty+.

some of the stuff is rather blind.
late this summer i came barreling into a section doing the usual forty or so that we carry through there.
came around a blind bend to find someone poking down the trail.

with absolutely no time to react, the end result was far from pretty.
we were both very lucky that there was no serious injury.

that is a scenario that i'd rather not see again.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
it's not that you won't be able to negotiate a heavy duty hardtail on the trails.

it's just a safety deal.
you'll be doing ten m.p.h. in sections where we'll be blowing up behind you doing thirty+.

some of the stuff is rather blind.
late this summer i came barreling into a section doing the usual forty or so that we carry through there.
came around a blind bend to find someone poking down the trail.

with absolutely no time to react, the end result was far from pretty.
we were both very lucky that there was no serious injury.

that is a scenario that i'd rather not see again.
Trust me, I understand. Im the VP of the freeride club at clemson and there are some guys that come out to ride on 100 dollar walmart bikes and sometimes I have to tell they cant ride certain things. Not because Im trying to be an ass, but because i dont wanna see their bike explode upon impact and have them get hurt.

It just sucks because I dont know any other places with big hits like windrock within the same distance from clemson. If someone wants to point me in a more hardtail friendly direction then i would be happy.

Dec 24, 2006
That's a great video. If you haven't been to Windrock, it's a must go. Also, there are several hidden trails around Oliver Springs. If you look hard enough to find them, it will be well worth your time.

RIDE ON!

Oct 9, 2006
If you are looking for some sweet hardtail territory try finding someone who will take you to Wilsons area. Super easy to shuttle and amazing trails that you can rip on your hardtail. I just built a new one two weeks ago and rode there all day and had a blast. Cant say I wasnt worn out at the end of the day but it was awesome.

If you ride at windrock on a hardtail you better be Gellin like Magellan!!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Nice video. You got me all homesick with the drive shots down the old Oliver Springs bypass...

Funny, I was watching the whole video thinking there was no way in hell I'd ride that on my hardtail. Some of the stuff cut into the sides of the hills looked like you'd die if you went off the edge. Certainly very few places for a faster rider to safely pass.

Joey, have fun building this winter. Windrckr's pictures in the other thread look great (though I didn't see any rocks???). If I could ever make it home I'd give you a day of my time but it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.

Dave.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh there's plenty of rocks.

they just don't happen to be in that section.
some of that we had to bench because of the camber being a little too severe for all to ride.

other sections of some of the new area, are in where it looks like decades ago the whole area was "turned over" while coal was being mined.
you'll be in a section that has all kinds of rock outcroppings.
then you'll enter an area that's pretty much been altered by the past mining.

same with the trees.
most areas are full of large poplars and oaks.
then there'll be a line with nothing but sweetgum and locust.

but that's ok.
when you're ripping along focusing on the trailbed, everything else is just a peripheral blur.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i did it on trail one on a EVIL Imperial....beat the every living sh!t outta me. four runs and done
But would you do it again?

Its not that Im hell bent on riding at windrock, i just wanna ride somewhere close to clemson that has some big hits and jumps. If there is somewhere that is more hardtail and shuttle friendly let me know.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
But would you do it again?

Its not that Im hell bent on riding at windrock, i just wanna ride somewhere close to clemson that has some big hits and jumps. If there is somewhere that is more hardtail and shuttle friendly let me know.

ummm no....listen to Joey and Profro...they won't steer you wrong, they know that mountain better than anyone. you really need a full squish to enjoy it

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ummm no....listen to Joey and Profro...they won't steer you wrong, they know that mountain better than anyone. you really need a full squish to enjoy it

problem is, it's hard to get a word in edgewise.

there's alway those that seem to know more than those who,
build.
maintain.
manage.
fund.
and actually ride here.

oh well.