Quantcast

>>> Windy Monderp gmt<<<

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ask and you shall receive

gotta email the guy, but i bet he has a few 66 forks
@Adventurous i'm still considering getting a 66 for my megatrail because i think it'd make a decent first park bike for my kids

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You make me want to build up my RFX again so I can do lift access stuff. Too bad I don't have a suitable 1 1/8" steerer tube, long travel single crown fork. Would kill for a Fox 36 or Bomber 66.
Not only do I support this idea, I will help however I can.

Pretty sure I saw a 66 on PB the other day for like $150

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked, lmgtfy:
"no way i would ever buy something so noodly that the lizurds are subliminally pushing on the masses. now you're on the kill list, beotch! send me some triple ipas to make up for it!!!!1!1!1!111eleventy1!1"
fat guy needs a fat guy standard.

fun fact: i was looking at the classes for the transy-lvania stage race. according to them i could register for clydesdale lol

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous i'm still considering getting a 66 for my megatrail because i think it'd make a decent first park bike for my kids
Doo it. How much longer until they are ready to accompany you?

Not only do I support this idea, I will help however I can.

Pretty sure I saw a 66 on PB the other day for like $150
Hmm, what else shall I acquire to complete the world's best OG bike?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
@jstuhlman going back to your offer on a serious note.... appreciate it but I'm actually leaning towards a coil, though still going back and forth. I went coil in the rear for big hit/durability reasons, and am thinking the same for the front.

What's nice is the RXF38 coming out is not only stiffer (logically), but is available in 180mm in the coil, something the RXF36 coil doesn't offer (160 or 170 max I think). And the coil seems to do better than their air in most reviews I've seen. So it seems very tempting....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You make me want to build up my RFX again so I can do lift access stuff. Too bad I don't have a suitable 1 1/8" steerer tube, long travel single crown fork. Would kill for a Fox 36 or Bomber 66.
You could just get a NOS frame and be like @Nick!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Who's laughing?

Unfortunately I think all pictures of my Norco and Banshee from back in the hucker days have been lost when our local NE bike site went down. Pure ridiculousness, but loved every fucking second of it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
still doesn't feel like i need a motor
You'd have different thoughts if you actually had any elevation change on your rides instead of just tooling along and hucking 5' to (obviously) flat ground.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
View attachment 151433

I have a bunch of pictures from BITD, though mostly after we got our Turners.

My Bullet.

View attachment 151434
Oh god. Atom Lab wheels. If they weren't giving me free wheels and rims, I never would have ridden them. I was rebuilding wheels every other weekend because they were so fucking soft. I had to have a practice wheelset and a race wheelset (which were the same) just to make sure I didn't destroy a wheel during practice and not have one for my race run.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I thought those had really fragile swing arms. Surprised to see them being ridden.
Those were probably the most common bike you saw around here during the hucking glory days, and they all seemed to hold up really well. I've seen some dudes ride the absolute shit out of them (racing rough DH courses and some ridiculous drops) and don't ever recall seeing one break in person.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There were a ton of cars in the lot when I got there at 5ish. When I got to the trail split I took the one that had the least amount of packed down leaves and only ran into 2 other hikers. Got to the top just a wee bit past sunset. Night hike back down. Three hours of some much need time in the woods.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
local old skool dude here still stubbornly sticks by his bullit. here is a pic he posted from snowshoe last week. at least it's root beer!
View attachment 151435

@CrabJoe StretchPants - i hear ya. the rc2 36 is the closest i've gotten to a coil since my last vanilla, fwiw
I have a buddy with an old AS-X that just won't die. We ran the math on him getting a new bike vs. upgrading his bike to modern, and the math was to the side of upgrading. Put on a 36 (top model), tubeless wheelset, dropper post, avalanche rebuilt shock, new drivetrain ex-cranks, etc. Weighs right around 33#, rides awesome for him, and just won't fucking die.

If what you have works and isn't holding you back - ride it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
To this day, I'm still bummed the Turner Highline wound up being such a turd. That bike was comparable to the VP Free (came out the same time I think, ~'08?), and would have been a really fun in-between a trail bike and full blown DH bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Those were probably the most common bike you saw around here during the hucking glory days, and they all seemed to hold up really well. I've seen some dudes ride the absolute shit out of them (racing rough DH courses and some ridiculous drops) and don't ever recall seeing one break in person.
Yeah, there was a freeride group in BC that rode Bullets with Monster Ts. Massive drops off buildings and the like.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
To this day, I'm still bummed the Turner Highline wound up being such a turd. That bike was comparable to the VP Free (came out the same time I think, ~'08?), and would have been a really fun in-between a trail bike and full blown DH bike.
you were a prime candidate for an uzzi...as long as you got one that was somewhat aligned...or an sx trail

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I just remember a bunch of broken swing arm threads back in the day. Could have been some breaking quickly, but if not lasting forever, which is indicative of a good design with bad quality control, which Santa Cruz wasn't known for at the time.