Quantcast

Winter Recreation Plans - especially for those north of the Mason Dixon Line

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So fall is in full swing and winter will be fast approaching. What do you Monkeys do to stay in shape/get excersise and stuff in the winter? Do you just ride your trainer/rollers a lot? Are you like Splat and ride all year round?

I'm thinking of playing inline hockey or maybe indoor soccer if I can find a leauge that plays on a good night. I'd love to play ice hockey but it is so damned expensive - there is a pick up game every Friday night and you can pay as you play for that one - might look into that.

So do any of you Monkeys have any big plans to stay in shape and to stay sane during the winter doldrums?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I tend to do a lot of urban riding in the winter. My solution to the winter doldrums will be eventually to move out of New England, most likely ;)

Back when I skied, I was more likely to enjoy winter but I ride more than I ski now, so winter is more of a pain than anything else.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I ride in the winter as much as I can... snow doesn't bother me - lack of daylight is the biggest problem. I also tend to hike more in the winter. Last winter I got a gym membership... boring as hell, but I was in better shape when spring rolled around.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I got snowshoes for my birthday. :D

I'm also thinking of getting some winter paddling gear so I can use the kayak over the winter.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I'm thinking of playing inline hockey
There are organized leagues at an indoor rink in Plainville. I played a few seasons, but I quit because I can't skate for sh!t.

I hit the gym a lot more during the winter and really blast the legs until riding season is upon us again. I also ski and am hoping to do some snowboarding this year. I'll try like heck to actually attend more spinning classes this winter, because trying to get the legs back to speed was a real bitch this past Spring.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
6 month gym membership (45-60 minutes of bike and/or elipitcal @ 2-3 times a week)
lift weights @ 2-3 time a week
volleyball
30 minutes trainer/ home @ 1 time a week
DH ski

this year=snow shoeing

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
IAB - how do you like HealthTrax? I called that rink in Plainville - is it a decent rink? Boards and everything? There is Z-Rink in Glastonbury but that's a haul.

BikeGeek - nice snowshoes!!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Thanks.

I forgot about hockey. I can't skate for sh!t either, so I got in to a deck hockey league. We play in a roller-hockey rink, but without the skates. It sounds kinda wuss, but it's not. Our team has already suffered an orbital fracture, a broken nose, and chipped teeth and dealt out a broken wrist. :eek:

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
IAB - how do you like HealthTrax? I called that rink in Plainville - is it a decent rink? Boards and everything? There is Z-Rink in Glastonbury but that's a haul.

BikeGeek - nice snowshoes!!!

I might be interested in the inline hockey in Plainville. Haven't played in a few years, but I'm sure it'll come back quick. Gotta see if my gear still fits...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I will be riding my bike still - but also doing a lot of skate skiing, snowshoeing and snowboarding. My real season training will start in January where the base miles will start accumulating.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
Thanks.

I forgot about hockey. I can't skate for sh!t either, so I got in to a deck hockey league. We play in a roller-hockey rink, but without the skates. It sounds kinda wuss, but it's not. Our team has already suffered an orbital fracture, a broken nose, and chipped teeth and dealt out a broken wrist. :eek:
Deck hockey is a kickass workout!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
tonyhawk said:
I might be interested in the inline hockey in Plainville. Haven't played in a few years, but I'm sure it'll come back quick. Gotta see if my gear still fits...
Tony - I have a call in to them - but they don't actually open until 4 on weekdays.

I'll keep you posted.

Did you pick up the Bullit on Saturday??

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
It's a smaller rink, so there is more contact than say Waterbury. But they play 4 on 4, so it's wide open. Yes, there are boards and everything....it's a real rink. You'll need to wear shoulder pads and will probably want to buy a pair of deck shinpads since they weight a fraction of what ice pads weigh (and I am not sure real shin pads are legal there anyway).

I played dek hockey for about 10 years between Waterbury and Plainville, but gave it up because I wanted to try new things. I miss playing. I was pretty good too...I even played a couple of seasons in the top division, but I just couldn't hang with those guys. The top division is like the equivalent of minor league hockey.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
It's a smaller rink, so there is more contact than say Waterbury. But they play 4 on 4, so it's wide open. Yes, there are boards and everything....it's a real rink. You'll need to wear shoulder pads and will probably want to buy a pair of deck shinpads since they weight a fraction of what ice pads weigh (and I am not sure real shin pads are legal there anyway).

I played dek hockey for about 10 years between Waterbury and Plainville, but gave it up because I wanted to try new things. I miss playing. I was pretty good too...I even played a couple of seasons in the top division, but I just couldn't hang with those guys. The top division is like the equivalent of minor league hockey.
Babs - any interest in playing indoor soccer? Or what about deck hockey minus inline skates? Would you be into that?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
MMcG said:
Tony - I have a call in to them - but they don't actually open until 4 on weekdays.

I'll keep you posted.

Did you pick up the Bullit on Saturday??
Picked it up Saturday, got home at about 6 and finished building it around midnight. Took it for a spin yesterday at Nepaug - :thumb: :thumb:

Gotta go deliver my old one to its new owner now... We need to ride soon.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Babs - any interest in playing indoor soccer? Or what about deck hockey minus inline skates? Would you be into that?
I'm not really into soccer, but I would entertain the idea of playing deck hockey again. Like I said, I do miss playing (boy will my skills needs to be refreshed :rolleyes: ).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
for those of you who are in whatever leagues this winter... who are the leagues organized through? YMCA? I'd like to get into a volleyball and/or basketball league, but I'm not sure who runs them.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Around here, the counties run recreation centers. Usually a team is required to have a certain number of players that reside in the county. We also have a number of privately owned rec. centers.

Check the Y. Some of them do some pretty cool things over the winter.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Do you just ride your trainer/rollers a lot? Are you like Splat and ride all year round?
Ride until the snow prevents it. If I lived close to Splat, I'm sure I'd buy some Nokians and be out there with them all winter.

The best off-season winter activity to retain trail-riding shape is x-country skiing, IMO. Heart rate stays up and you get a decent all-body workout.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well, now that the temprature has dropped below 100 ;) I plan on spending the "winter" riding my bike... riding my bike... and riding my bike.
:devil: :devil: :sneaky:

Yeah... I'm a bastard. I know.
Winter here is an average daytime high of about 65-70. Once in a while I might have to wear a windbreaker, but only early in the morning.

Here is a pic taken in February:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lots of riding the rollers, some fun ont he new BMX in the skatepark and probably a whole lotta paintball. Let's not forget a few trips to the rockies and vermont backcountry. pow

Oh and BA graduation #2 in January. woo woo

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well I went to re-join my gym for another long winter. I'll do weigth and such there 2-3 times a week. I;m also going to be doing alot of swimming and a lil bit of cycling on rollers and trainer but not much. On top of that I;m going to do as much running as possible. To replace cycling I;m taking up nordic skiing again. I used to race when I was really little but thats cause my rents made me, so I hated it. However, now I actully want to and I would go on some long, weird snowshoeing adventures if I can find some fools to do that with me. LOL

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I play ice-hockey in a league, have the gym membership, ski a fair amount (Tahoe!), and want to do some weekend hikes/camping this winter. I think i'm more active in the winter than summer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Lift weights a few times a week. Ride on a trainer, stationary bike or other type of workout. Downhill skiing if I feel like it/have any money. I ride maybe once every few weeks....I get the urge, go out once when it is 15 degrees and then it's out of my system for a long time.

I am in school now so intramural sports help. I will definitely be playing broomball, maybe on 2 teams this year to play more games. It's a decent workout if you play right.

I also plan on ummm.... drinking a lot and going to many many hockey games.