Quantcast

winter skatepark/ dirt jump scene

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
hey All!

You were so helpful with my last post so i figured i'd ask another riding related question about my upcoming holiday to California.

I'll be visiting Carlsbad for roughly 5 weeks starting just before Christmas. The girl who i'll be staying with has to work during the week and i need to find ways to kill my time. I'll be buying a bike when i get there and (depending on budget) may end up trying to hit skateparks and dirtjumps in the area instead of trails and DH runs. My question is.... Are there places in the vicinity that are rideable during the Winter months? Is access pretty simple and are people willing to let me get in touch with them when i arrive in order to find these spots?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
I also forgot to ask, Can anybody recommend some good, reputable local bike shops in the Carlsbad/ Encinitas region that might sell decent second hand bikes?
IF you don't want to feel like you're spamming RIDEMONKEY with the details of your favourite shop then email me at dokane@gmail.com.

Thanks

Dan

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
hell yes, unless if it rains. the clairemont skate park is open to bikes mon, fri, and sun i believe from 2 till dark. i think it's 5 bucks to get in if you buy a 20 dollar annual membership. there's also miracle near by which is lippy crazy. there's shells/barecat/mission trails i suppose/poway/many place to dj. there's also places down in chula vista for the hardcore bmx jumps.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
stinky|Dan said:
I also forgot to ask, Can anybody recommend some good, reputable local bike shops in the Carlsbad/ Encinitas region that might sell decent second hand bikes?
IF you don't want to feel like you're spamming RIDEMONKEY with the details of your favourite shop then email me at dokane@gmail.com.

Thanks

Dan
I don't think there are any shops that will sell second hand bikes anymore. I might be wrong but I think there's too much liability selling stuff used. Your best bet is to try the yellow pages. Beyond Bikes is in the area (or within the same metropolis, it might take you an hour to get there from carlsbad though) and has a pretty good stock of just about everything if you're looking at new.

Trails are open all year for the most part, even noble canyon is clear except for a few snowy spots at the very top. Give a holler when the time gets closer and somebody will hook you up with directions and probablly ride with you.