Quantcast

Wintergreen?

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
Is wintergreen still open? I was thinking about going down tomorrow so if anyone has been there to give me the scoop or can let me know how it was I would appreciate it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Is wintergreen still open? I was thinking about going down tomorrow so if anyone has been there to give me the scoop or can let me know how it was I would appreciate it.
Hey Jason what's up?

WG is open Saturdays until the end of Oct. The trails are pretty good, not Snowshoe caliber but whatever. I recommend the intermediate numbers 4 and 6 to the right side of the lift for hauling ass and Expert #12 or #13 on the left for some steep fun stuff + ladders /etc. There are also some fun little stunts on #22 and #18 to get you warmed up.

They'll have a map with all the numbers and the trails are pretty well marked. The hill is pretty short. I can make it down most of the trails in 3-4 minutes and I'm slow and hardtailing. But the lift lines are non existent. I think the lift takes around 5 minutes to get you back to the top. You can get a hell of a lot of runs in a day.

They have a long 8 mile trail which they will shuttle for you that drops around 3k feet. It's pretty fun but not all that challenging. It took us about 45 minutes to run with 2 flats. A couple of the creek crossings were ridiculous but that was right after the tropical storm that blew through a couple of weeks ago. You need at least 2 people for them to run shuttle for you and I highly recommend spare tubes / patches.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
One concussion, bruised kidney, deep bone bruised thigh, and a bleeding torn thigh muscle later, JYETI tells me that Wintergreen was pretty decent in places but had a few others that need a good amount of work to improve the flow. Oh and I forgot he's also down one derailleur and hanger.

Way to go, champ!!

;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
One concussion, bruised kidney, deep bone bruised thigh, and a bleeding torn thigh muscle later, JYETI tells me that Wintergreen was pretty decent in places but had a few others that need a good amount of work to improve the flow. Oh and I forgot he's also down one derailleur and hanger.

Way to go, champ!!

;)

Holy crap! More details required. Get well Jason!

I have to agree with the his trail assessment for the most part.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
He was trying to hit some jump at the end of a fireroad in a new and inventive way (on his face?) and to do it had to sprint down the run-in. I think the story goes that the rear end skated on him a little, grabbed, and then flung him over the bars and onto his back down the trail at about 40mph.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Whoa that sucks. I would be going but I don't trust my current bike to make it through another actual ride. The damn thing is blowing up on me lately, I need to get a new one at some point. I'm probably gonna end up selling it...

JYETI

Chimp
Dec 14, 2005
Does anyone know if wg is still running the lifts? Thinking about a trip on 10/28.

Weather.com for Wintergreen Resort/Nellysford is calling for rain all day Friday, then a 30% chance of rain Saturday AM with a high in the mid-50's. Figure 40 or so in the morning.

Not sure if I'm going. They're saying 100% chance of rain and HIGH winds for Front Royal on Saturday. Don't know if I feel like travelling through that, and then sitting in the soaking wet bed of a pick-up. Eeeeewwww...squishy.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Weather.com for Wintergreen Resort/Nellysford is calling for rain all day Friday, then a 30% chance of rain Saturday AM with a high in the mid-50's. Figure 40 or so in the morning.

Not sure if I'm going. They're saying 100% chance of rain and HIGH winds for Front Royal on Saturday. Don't know if I feel like travelling through that, and then sitting in the soaking wet bed of a pick-up. Eeeeewwww...squishy.
Pvssy! :p Actually, that's the whole reason we didn't do loggers alley was because of the cold water temperatures, and even last weekend when it was nice weather but relatively chilly in the morning.

Nice avatar! :D

any good fr spots in front royal?
ha

haha

hahahahaha

HAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh...you're serious. ;) No freeriding to speak of in Frawn Rawal. Like jdschall said, though, GW National Forest offers some great burly XC/All-mountain riding. You definitely wouldn't want to take a FR bike there, though, unless you REALLY enjoy walking and pushing. There's no way to shuttle, either, as the fire roads are all gated and locked.

It's time to bust out the lights after this Sunday...dammit.

Oh...update on the weather. Now...same chance of showers Sat. morning...a little warmer...BUT...1 to 2 inches of constant rain Friday and Friday night, plus high winds. So...count on a wet, leafy mess, as I'm sure Nick ain't gonna be out there blowing leaves off the trail like last week! Thanks, Nick!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
<gasp!> SK6...I'm hurt! LOL! Yeah...some sick dude decided to take a picture of my impromptu bandage after taking a header, so I used it as my avatar. Wonder who that guy could be? My memory ain't so good...know what I mean, Mr. "What happened?"

BURN!
OH yeah Mr. Tampex! What did you use for a bandage? :p

;)