Quantcast

Wisp Pics

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
Pics from Saturdays Dual Slalom race.

Pic 1: Sunnerbean rock'n against the men.
Pic 2: Me getting beat in the first round
Pic 3: Tim (can't remember his RM name) taking the first of several wins
Pic 4: Tattooo showing his brother in law how its done
Pic 5: Sunnerbean sweeping the women's class

Attachments

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
hey man, I was the one who raced you. Good times. Seemed like a lot of people bit the dust - it was super dry. I ate it on the 3rd/4th place heat - blew out at the tail of the first berm out of the gate.

Fun for all!

thanks to Wisp and Hartlove & Crew for a great race.

-MV

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I've been thinking of heading up there to ride. Anyone have any good pic's of the typical trail riding up there?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I did have a bueno time, so did my brother-in-law.

Questions:
- Did Wisp have someone shooting pics at this event?
- Are they going to post results?
- Who's going to the finals?

Great seeing yousins this weekend. Had a great time with the camping crew, redneck violence and all.

Hey Wisp, maybe just maybe either let us camp at the resort for the finals or maybe give us some room deal packages? I'll buy you a beer Mikey if you can make it happen.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Tattooo said:
Hey Wisp, maybe just maybe either let us camp at the resort for the finals or maybe give us some room deal packages?
Double occupancy at the WISP Resort Hotel = $89.00 per night.:agree:

When you call (301)387-5581, ask for the racer's rate for the downhill event weekend. I got this rate for race #2 & #3.

Later..............

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
My nose is doing a lot better. the swelling went down a lot so I can use it to breathe now, but I can only smell wisp dirt. i sneezed a few times at work and it bled everywhere. Lots of local bums who come into the store were staring with their mouths open like cows.....good times.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
DHZombie: Is your avatar from Buckaroo Banzi?

I will see what can be done about the hotel next time, never get anyone putting in on it besides me...

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Tattooo said:
DHZombie: Is your avatar from Buckaroo Banzi?
Yes !!!! Very astute observation. :clue: It is none other than Dr. Emilio Lazardo (aka.. John a'Whorfin) inventor of the 'original' oscillation overthruster !!!

In my opinon, Buckaroo Banzai was one of the best movies made during the 80's. I still see new humor in it every time I watch it. :rofl:

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure what the schedule for wisp is for the rest of the year. Seems like they only have one race left though. I don't know where tidewater is, and don't have a map handy, so just go to www.mapquest.com and search for snowshoe wv, or elkins wv.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Peete: Its a shorter drive from VB then a trip to SS. Also, the road isn't quite as dodgy for the last part, and there is more to do in Wisp with the kids after the day of riding. Go Karts, Mini-golf, a family pizza place where if you're there at the wrong time a group of seven might offend everyone in the place. Good times.

Edit: The last race of the season there is September 23 - 24.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Thanks, I guess I need to start sucking up to the wife soon.

One more question: Is a norba license required for this race? I may go solo if that's the case.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
This was my trip to Wisp and I enjoyed the race and the course but it was a 4 hour drive up there from Richmond compared to 3.5 to Snowshoe. I'd choose Snowshoe hands down given the choice of where to go for a weekend. Wisp does seem to be the better place for a family trip with lots of activities for a family to enjoy. And yes it is a Norba race so a 1 day license is required.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Peete said:
Thanks, I guess I need to start sucking up to the wife soon.

One more question: Is a norba license required for this race? I may go solo if that's the case.

NORBA 1 day licenses are available for $5.00 per event entered (ie... Downhill and Dual Slalom = $10.00 extra over the event fee ($35.00 last race)).

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
If they will let my daughter race pro/expert women DS on a 1-day I'll bring her but if not she's S.O.L.

Just a short rant about norba:
NBL and ABA licenses run for one full year from the date of purchase.
Seems retarded that if I buy an annual norba license in sept. it's only good for the rest of the calander year not 12 months.
I bought my expert license at Massanutten, it shows up after Sugar and has me as sport. I return it per instructions on the back and haven't heard from them since. Do they even care?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am getting less and less amused with my license. The only thing it has done for me is it gave me $180 worth of bike certificates to take my rides to Nationals.

The other thing I am getting annoyed with is races that require NORBA licenses but never get around to reporting the results to NORBA. Part of what we buy is tracking from NORBA, and as such the results need to be submitted.

Sunner: Does letting you beat some guy's truck with a log count as a present? I have some Wild Turkey to add to the malaise.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Peete said:
If they will let my daughter race pro/expert women DS on a 1-day I'll bring her but if not she's S.O.L.

Just a short rant about norba:
NBL and ABA licenses run for one full year from the date of purchase.
Seems retarded that if I buy an annual norba license in sept. it's only good for the rest of the calander year not 12 months.
I bought my expert license at Massanutten, it shows up after Sugar and has me as sport. I return it per instructions on the back and haven't heard from them since. Do they even care?

I beleive the rule is, that you can only compete in sport or beginner on a 1 day license. You must have an annual license to compete in expert and above. Experts like to complain that it's a pain in the ass, and unfair to individuals with more skills, but the rule is in place to prevent pros from "pretending" to forget their license, so they can sandbag in lower classes. Sure they could sandbag in the sport class, but it would be much more noticable.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
NORBA: as corey has suggested... i'll gladly accept donations to upgrade to expert for the rest of this year from my fellow racers ($60!!!), but until then... i'll just remain a sporty kind of racer until next year.

you can throw these at me the rest of year if you want... i'm pretty good at ducking and won't cry about the heckling:

look for a full ride report on whiteface mid-next week.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
sunnerbeanmtb said:
just a side note..

the last wisp race (september 23-24) is on my birthday (september 24)

I will be expecting lots of presents...

that is all

my birthday is on august 20th (monster park). I spent my last b-day in ss and had a great time. I can take off work on monday if anyone will help me get anihilated.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
dirtygirlmagnet said:
I beleive the rule is, that you can only compete in sport or beginner on a 1 day license. You must have an annual license to compete in expert and above. Experts like to complain that it's a pain in the ass, and unfair to individuals with more skills, but the rule is in place to prevent pros from "pretending" to forget their license, so they can sandbag in lower classes. Sure they could sandbag in the sport class, but it would be much more noticable.
I'm aware of the beg/sport 1 day rule but I've known promoters who have bent it for experts. I think you are incorrect on why the rule is in place. Pros don't sandbag down to amateur status. Only some experts and sports do that. There is still no logical explanation why norba won't sell a 1 day license to an expert and have the 1 year license actually be for a year.

Still, in spite of norba, people(including pros) still show up for races. The love of the sport is the only thing that keeps MTB gravity racing alive. Hope to see ya'll at Wisp.