Quantcast

Wisp questions

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I had heard a rumor this weekend that Wisp is going to be offering deals on hotel rooms at the resort for the MAC races.

Any truth to this, or is it just scuttlebutt?

Anyone have prices, details?

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Wisp will open it's park Memorial day weekend. There will be a dual race on Sat. and a DH on Sun. I believe they will also be running the lift seven days a week. The hotel is offering "racer discounts" for race weekends contact them for more details. This weekend there will be a volunteer trail maintenance weekend, rewards to all that help out! Hope to see you at the Wisp!

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Just spoke to Wisp reservations.
The "Racer Deal Rate" is $69 per night.

Not really a deal with Bumble Bee just down the road a bit.
I was hoping for $30 a night for racers, but no luck.
Sure is getting expensive this season to race.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
For people coming up to help out this weekend....(saturday) should anyone bother bringing bikes with them? Also what time and where are people meeting for the trail work on saturday?
Adam

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
Just spoke to Wisp reservations.
The "Racer Deal Rate" is $69 per night.

Not really a deal with Bumble Bee just down the road a bit.
I was hoping for $30 a night for racers, but no luck.
Sure is getting expensive this season to race.
$30 a night at a ski resort.....ya right.....$69 is a deal

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
a few questions...

1. how many trails are there at wisp (top to bottom) for DH? i remember riding a few trails there last year during races, but i really only think there were 2-3 legitimate trails from top to bottom.

2. any chance the folks at wisp will be speeding up the lifts? i recall hearing from someone that they run the lifts MUCH slower for the sight-seeing tourists riding it up.

i would be more willing to ride there since it's only 2.5 hours from DC if there were more trails and the lift was faster.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
More trails are being cut in this week, as for the lift I think it's going to stay the same speed.
more trails as in the race course for this weekend? how many DH trails (top to bottom) are there? the website really lacks information. an informed consumer makes a happy consumer and i don't want to drive 2.5 hours for 3 trails with 700' of vert, i can shuttle locally and do better for free. i'm sure the DS course will be sweet if it's anything like last years though!

can we shuttle the mountain ourselves and pay a reduced fee for access? that lift really is ridiculously slooooow.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
depending on what they get done this week there should be new trails that aren't being raced on, expect some jumps and drops ranging from 4-10 feet.

There is a public road that leads up to the top, I don't know how to get there but im sure it's an easy find. if you to shuttle yourself go ahead but do it at your own risk if you don't pay anything. I'm not sure about getting a discount for it though.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Just curious, but is there a reason the lift is as slow as it is? Is it due to age? Model? etc...?
I believe it's mostly the type of lift. A non-detachable lift like Massanutten or Wintergreens has to be run slower in the summer to allow loading of bikes and passengers. A detachable or high speed lift like Snowshoes Western or Ballhooter removes the chairs from the cable and slows them down for loading/unloading then drops them back on the cable for a quicker ride up.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Wintergreen's is not as bad as WISP though...It would seem WISP's is 50% slower...Its not a gripe, but more of an educational inquiry. The question of cost and maintenance has been raised insofar as other resorts.

T0MJ04D

Chimp
May 14, 2007
VA
I realize this is a bike forum, but I thought some of you guys might want to know. Wisp is having an on snow rail jam this weekend. Apparently they made a big pile of snow and now have enough to spread for a several feature park run. So, while you guys are up riding (which I will be watching) I get to pull the snowboard out in June.....hell yea.

wispoutdoors

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
Trails/lift will open Friday at 10am. Lift and trails will be open Saturday - Sunday unitl June 21st. June 22 - Labor Day, open seven days a week. Weekdays 10am - 4pm, Weekends 10am - 5pm. Special season pass lifts/trails/park deal $125 when you mention the Monkey

This weekend race info:
Saturday - Dual Race 1pm, Finials 7pm (practice starts 10am)
Sunday - Downhill 11am (practice starts 9am)
Fees: Dual $25, Downhill $35 Both events $50
Entry fees include trail and lift pass for the weekend

Special hotel deal: $69 a night - ask for the Racer Special

Trails are looking good, hope to see you this weekend

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I realize this is a bike forum, but I thought some of you guys might want to know. Wisp is having an on snow rail jam this weekend. Apparently they made a big pile of snow and now have enough to spread for a several feature park run. So, while you guys are up riding (which I will be watching) I get to pull the snowboard out in June.....hell yea.
My buddy shawn is competing in it this weekend, hell of a ripper...

look for a kid that is 6'4 with long hair from Colorado...he might win.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Can someone post an update as to the new trails or conditions at wisp? How does it compare to the other gravity resorts in the east? I am headed down there this weekend and want to be 'in the know'

_Bill

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Can someone post an update as to the new trails or conditions at wisp? How does it compare to the other gravity resorts in the east? I am headed down there this weekend and want to be 'in the know'

_Bill
There getting better every week. The Mountain Coaster has interupted quite a few existing trails but they should all be back on-line by mid summer. In the mean time, we'll be adding new trails. Hope to see you there.
As for the Lift, the state of Maryland decides how fast it can be run - nothing to do with age or condition. Sorry. At least there's a nice view:pirate2:

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
A new trail full of table tops? Now I have to learn to jump the big bike too? This summer is turning into a lot of work.

That last course was great, and would be better when "tacky" but damn if the idea of that in the "wisp mud" doesn't make my pucker quiver.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
A new trail full of table tops? Now I have to learn to jump the big bike too? This summer is turning into a lot of work.

That last course was great, and would be better when "tacky" but damn if the idea of that in the "wisp mud" doesn't make my pucker quiver.
I rode the new trail this weekend, they had just literally stopped piling the dirt with the front loader and began shaping. I can tell you that the new jump like is going to BE INSANE FUN, looks better than parts of dominion at diablo.

In the same area they plan to build a freeride area with lots of drops/woodwork...There are a bunch of rocks to drop up there as well (from what they told me)...

Cant wait for this one.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
So am I to understand correctly that if you enter the dual slalom, you get lift passes for the whole mountain for the entire weekend with the entry fee? If that is the case, sweet. I really only wanted to race the dual but would I like to check out the rest of the trails while I'm there if I can. Regardless, see you next weekend! I can't wait.

I made reservations at Swallow Falls State Park. Anybody else planning on camping out?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
is there a schedule for the upcoming Capital Cup DS/DH? since NORBA dropped their gear requirement, i'll be there with my singlespeed!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
there's no online registration for this event, right? i want to race the dual, but dunno if i can make it up there by 11am on saturday.