Quantcast

Wisp Race

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
Just want to say thanks to everyone at Racer's Edge for putting on a great event.

We're lucky to have great people putting on races...

The DH course dried up and was a lot of fun.

The Dual course looked sweet too...

Great turn out too...

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
corey_dcstreet said:
great race, crappy traffic. 4 hours to get back to Nva. ugh. thanks for a great race guys!
I bailed onto Rt 40, that leads right into Frederick. 2 lane road, but 55mph the whole way. I made it home in 3hrs, 5min.

Anybody know who has the VA license plate "XPLODER" for a Ford Explorer. I was right with them on 70 when I bailed, but they kept going on 70. I Wonder how long it took them? Funny I also saw that same Explorer on the beltway near Springfield last week, just curious who it is.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.

PRO Derrick Nobman 1st. 2nd ??. Lars Tribus 3rd.

FTW

DHZombie..Looking Good

First Time for 14 and Under Class! This young gun was ripping! :)

DHZombie 1st Sport 45+

Ben getting it done!!

FTW all the way from NH.1st Expert 45+

jpg[/IMG]

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
oldskoolbiker said:
I bailed onto Rt 40, that leads right into Frederick. 2 lane road, but 55mph the whole way. I made it home in 3hrs, 5min.

Anybody know who has the VA license plate "XPLODER" for a Ford Explorer. I was right with them on 70 when I bailed, but they kept going on 70. I Wonder how long it took them? Funny I also saw that same Explorer on the beltway near Springfield last week, just curious who it is.
that's me. we missed the first bailout to 40, but took the 2nd at myersville. looked like traffic on 270 was still bad, so i took 85 down to 28. probably took more time, but i'd rather be moving than stop-start-stop-start :D we stopped in myersville for a while to let the 1yr old stretch his legs, but overall time was around 4 hours. :(

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
oldskoolbiker said:
Same guy as at whitetail. Here is the website. http://www.nicholasdmack.com/

Don't use Firefox the view the site, it doesn't work with it.

Yeah, Have to talk to my web designer about that... However, even if you do use a Mozilla browser (firefox,netscape,camino) the link to "Mountain Bike Photos" is still active at the bottom!

I hope to have pictures of Wisp up later today. Just got the Whitetail stuff last week.

Nick

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Nicholas D Mack said:
Yeah, Have to talk to my web designer about that... However, even if you do use a Mozilla browser (firefox,netscape,camino) the link to "Mountain Bike Photos" is still active at the bottom!

I hope to have pictures of Wisp up later today. Just got the Whitetail stuff last week.

Nick
Nick, I'm having problems viewing many of the pix in this album:
http://www.nicholasmcintosh.com/mack/DQ/index.htm
tried using both IE & ffx, i think there's an error in the flash file. you might want to try to recompile it.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
What a weekend !

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the efforts of the RacersEdge crew (aka.. The Mike & Mike Show) and the WISP crew for putting on one of the best organized MAC races to date.

I haven't had this much fun in a long time at one of the MAC events. Great venue, great event organization, great courses, great prizes, etc..., etc...., etc....

Well done everyone !!! Keep up the FANTASTIC WORK !

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
congrats on the podium Corey....I was going to come out but had my first rehab session on Sat. morning, and they did some electro shock muscle stimulation stuff that hurt like hell and made me all sore....felt like one of those cramps you get where your muscle flexes and wont release and feels like it is going to explode...only diff, is that this session last 30 minutes. Anyone have any pics of the dual course? Hope everyone had fun and made it uninjured.
Later,
Adam

wispoutdoors

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
The crew at Wisp Outdoors would like to thank everyone that came out and joined us this past weekend for the downhill and dual event. More trails and freeride features will continue to pop up during the rest of the season. We are committed to making Wisp a great place to ride and race in the Mid Atlantic. We look forward to seeing everyone again on August 5 - 6. Our website will have results and photos updated by Tuesday.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
wispoutdoors said:
The crew at Wisp Outdoors would like to thank everyone that came out and joined us this past weekend for the downhill and dual event. More trails and freeride features will continue to pop up during the rest of the season. We are committed to making Wisp a great place to ride and race in the Mid Atlantic. We look forward to seeing everyone again on August 5 - 6. Our website will have results and photos updated by Tuesday.

I'm sorry I missed it. I know that Wisp is a class place and the guys at RacersEdge are as well! We, collectively who ride thank you! :thumb:

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
I just finished uploading all my Wisp photos to my site... check em out... http://www.NicholasDMack.com

This is the second race I've photographed. I think I'm getting better at it. I'd love feedback.

Thanks,
Nick

PS, I still have a bunch of photos of Whitetail and Wisp taken by my associates to upload. Look for those in the next few days.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
You're shooting with a D200 right?

You might want to try holding AE-ON, setting AF-C (continuous) and Dynamic tracking, all of which will get that 70-200AFSVR lense of yours tracking and predicting focus pretty quickly. I noticed a few slightly out of focus shots.

I think your berm shots are far stronger than your tabletop and jump shots only because they're not identical (head on) and you can see more of the rider and the bike. The "table top in a field" shots aren't very compelling insofar as they don't really say "mountain biking down steep hills at high speeds" through the woods/rocks.

Otherwise they're pretty good for someone just starting out with biking/riding shots. :)

Hopefully decent critique points. Just trying to be honest as someone who would consider buying shots of himself looking slow (but in focus because I'm so slow!).

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Nick,

That Flash gallery you are using, cuts off the bottom if you are using 1024x768 resolution and viewing vertical photos (which most of yours are). I am unable to access the scroll bar, and I can't see the photo name and I even ran the browser in full screen mode. You may want to tweak with that Fash applet and see if you can do something. Seems you have realestate at the top, or at least make it so you can scoll down when it gets cut off.

Regarding the photos, you may wish to run the photos through your image enhancing plugins before you post them up. I think those enhancements would make the pictures stand out more, and more likely to sell.

A guy I used to work with does MX photography, and he wrote a batch script for photoshop using Nikon specific plugins he purchased. He just dumps the photos in a directory and lets the batch run all night doing the enhancements. You can see some of his photos here:
http://www.motocross.com/s/shop/slideshow.asp?id=17335&format=cimon
Those rich colors, and sharpness of the photos are thanks to Photoshop. Here is his website: http://www.alaincimonphoto.com. He might be willing to give you some pointers, or maybe even sell his script to you. Downhill MTB is pretty similar to MX.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I thought most of the pictures were nice, but you should try and get more of the trail so the viewer gets a better idea of the course ( like Pi31412 said too).

Not sure if your planning on doing more Downhill races, but I would check out the snowshoe race august 18-20, its the same weekend as Monster Park. There will be A Lot of people there. Snowshoe has some pretty rough courses, you could get some amazing shots.

Jul 13, 2006
Baltimore County
Pi31412 said:
You're shooting with a D200 right?

You might want to try holding AE-ON, setting AF-C (continuous) and Dynamic tracking
That's how I had the thing set at the start, and what gave me the most trouble with focus. The soft shots are from this setting. Through trial and error, I was able to get sharp focus 98% of the time with center spot focus AF-C.

Jettj45 said:
but you should try and get more of the trail so the viewer gets a better idea of the course ( like Pi31412 said too)
Yes, agreed. I was trying to set up in that really narrow, single track part with a steep drop off on the right... but the bugs were killing me! So I asked a couple riders what would be good... "Drop coming out of the woods", "The half-pipe", "The table at the end"... I chose the table cause I could get folks coming out of the half-pipe and the table. I will definitely try to stay in the woods for Bear Creek. Hopefully they have a nice rock garden or something. Just have to get better bug repellent!

oldskoolbiker said:
That Flash gallery you are using, cuts off the bottom if you are using 1024x768 resolution and viewing vertical photos (which most of yours are). I am unable to access the scroll bar,
I found that out last night when trying to view them on my wife's laptop. I'm so pissed, not even a way to scroll down! F'n photoshop screwed that up... Guess I'll have to redo all the galleries. No time today, it'll have to be tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.... Keep it comming!

Nick