Quantcast

With all this talk of wine...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The Hubby & I were thinking that it would be cool to get a nice bottle from the year we were married and put it away to enjoy at a milestone anniversary. Any suggestions from 1998? We generally enjoy reds (mostly Shiraz, Cabs & Merlots) but are open to others.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just be aware that most wines which can withstand a long dormancy are also usually pretty expensive...you may be well served by selecting a chianti riserva from a good year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
just be aware that most wines which can withstand a long dormancy are also usually pretty expensive...you may be well served by selecting a chianti riserva from a good year.
'97 if you can still find it.

Or get yourself an '00 Bordeaux. Pretty much a killer year by all accounts.

I actually think that '98 might have been a good year as well. Or maybe I'm thinking of Cali... :think:

You can't really go wrong with a case of this:

http://www.leduwines.com/sku000000004033.html

Mmmmm...... Cheval Blanc.... :drool:

And a steal for less than $6500. :eek:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
That's what we were afraid of :( We were also trying to figure out which wines would withstand a long dormancy better than others. Right now, I think we may put away a few bottles from this year as well to celebrate Syd's birth. We'll see though...wine doesn't seem to last long in our home. :poster_oops:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i would suggest to head over to yr local well-stocked store and talk to someone for suggestions. they should know their inventory pretty well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Off the top of my head (just a quick look at the list), I am thinking along these lines (not necessarily in any order of preference):
Oregon Pinot Noir
Ribera del Duero (I am digging Spanish Wines lately)
Northern Rhône:Côte Rôtie/Hermitage
Chateau Angelus (St Emilion)
Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot (St Emilion)
Chateau Canon (St Emilion)
Chateau Figeac (St Emilion)
Clos Fourtet (St Emilion)
Chateau Cheval Blanc (St Emilion) -- although this one is probably more pricey than we're looking for.

Also on my list to check out: Pomerol, Graves, Margaux & St. Julien/Pauillac St. Estephe

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
get a short list of recommendations and bounce 'em off us!

wine distribution is so flakey that it's highly variable as to what's in stock from region to region.